I am FED up with "Americanized" Olympics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougal55

War Child
Hi all!

I have been watching some of the Winter Olympics here and I want to say this.....

I am fed up with the attitude shown by the American TV networks at Salt Lake! It seems to me that they are intent in saying "Zoom in tight on the American bronze medallist, who CARES who won?!?". I have seen those kind of images on TV here in Britain. Its utterly shameful, unfair and over the top patriotism! There's no excuse for that kind of thing!

And you know what else Im thinking? I think its high time that the North Americans stop bidding for any more Olympic Games (winter or summer) for at least 20 years! 20 years!

Why? Because you have had too much Olympics in the last 30 years!!! Lets recall where it has been.....lets start off with Canada in 1976 at Montreal, then to LA in 1984, Lake Placid also in 1984, Calgary in 1988, Atlanta in 1996, and finally Salt Lake City this year. So all in all, North Americans had 6 Olympics of the last 13 Olympics! Thats too much! Give someone else a turn!

Actually Im kinda real glad that the next 3 Olympics are gonna be held outside North America! (Athens 2004, Turin 2006, and Beijing 2008).

Apart from that, its great to see some great moments like that lucky Aussie winning gold in speed skating when 4 guys in front of him all fell! A superb and hilarious moment to watch! And for me as a Brit, it was brilliant to see 4 Scottish lassies win gold in curling which included a win against world champions on the way to their win against the Swiss in the final with one last stone!

OK Ive said it now.......

dougal

Quick...somebody mention something about U2 before this thread gets moved.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

while I agree that at times the Olympics were heavy on America, if you were watching American feeds, you get American stuff. I'm sure if there were BBC reporters with cameras, they would be focusing on the Brits that won a silver and not a gold medalists.

Oh, and the U.S. and Canada are two distinct cultures. Don't lump them together-- Canadians have a complex about that for good reason.

Describing the Canadians as Americans is like saying U2 is British. Just because Britain and Ireland are next to each other does not mean its the same.

[This message has been edited by sharky (edited 02-25-2002).]

ummm....yeah. And if you were watching Russian TV, would you be upset if they zoomed in on Russian athletes?
rolleyes.gif
I'm sorry, but any country that is hosting the Games tends to (i know it's a shock) root for their home team!
eek.gif

you are all right in that the network broadcasting to home caters to where ever 'home' is, but the american's do go overboard. this degree of overboardness(i'm making words now!) is to be expected, imo, given the elevated levels of patriotism present in the US against anywhere else.

it makes for some bad coverage if you're not an american looking to shed a tear but i understand why they do it.

it's all about gettin' eyeballs.

oh and this should really be in the new sports forum, 'put 'em under pressure'
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 02-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Arun V:
can't believe I wasteed my time to read this post...or reply to it

Ditto.

First: I am sick of America getting all the coverage here as well -- I want to see the teams/the athletes who have talent. But whatever, there are lots of people out here in America who want to see all the American athletes.

Second: the Aussie speedskaing wasn't very funny IMO.

Third: You're gonna face the wrath of Sicy.
wink.gif

Edit: stupid grammar
tongue.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-25-2002).]

Originally posted by sharky:

Oh, and the U.S. and Canada are two distinct cultures. Don't lump them together-- Canadians have a complex about that for good reason.

Oh yeah. Don't be saying us Canuks are Americans now. We'll get angry and beat you with hockey sticks. We DO have a complex, eh?

--------
I mean, okay. I got the NBC feed, and the CBC feed (uh, American and Canadian TV feeds on the Olympics). NBC showed more Americans, CBC more Canadians. This is because of patriotism. Every home country likes to see their home athletes.

If America overdoes it slightly it's because
a) They are THE most patriotic country (melting pot). Besides, it's about time they gave their winter athletes support.
b) The Olympics were IN America, for god's sake.

sweetest thing-- don't be sending the mounties after me now eh?
wink.gif
I just meant that people have a tendency to think of North America as one bing country north of the Mexican border. I'm from Detroit so that even irks me a bit. Canada is different!

and I will admit that the CBC's coverage of the Olympics is quite superior to NBC. I wish I could get the CBC in NYC.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
Oh yeah. Don't be saying us Canuks are Americans now. We'll get angry and beat you with hockey sticks. We DO have a complex, eh?

... and not just regular hockey sticks, but gold medal winning hockey sticks!!!
biggrin.gif

I'm glad we had our own coverage of the games on most events and showed Sweden interests, fun moments and historic moments, no matter what country involved.

And US and Canada are not the same, that's for sure.

The speedskating was funny because of his history of bad luck. He should have been dead, twice, by now. It was like he was paid back with all the luck he got now.
smile.gif

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
The speedskating was funny because of his history of bad luck. He should have been dead, twice, by now. It was like he was paid back with all the luck he got now.
smile.gif

Who's this that you're talking about?

Miss Zooropa's talking about Steve Bradbury of Australia who had won their first ever Winter Olympics gold medal in the event!!

dougal

And another thing....

Steve once had an accident which nearly killed him....he had a skate cut through his leg and he lost 4 litres of blood and required 111 stitches too! He also fractured his neck three years ago so yeah he should have been dead twice! But now look at him.. a gold medal winner!

dougal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom