I am disapointed in HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
this album is incredible, i think people were expecting a rocker. It's a pop rock record and some people don't like that direction for u2. If you just look at it as a pop record, it doesnt get any better. I laid in bed this morning and heard the whole thing straight through, it gets better with every listen for me. One of their best albums.

I would have to say that 'Bomb' ranks as one of U2's worst albums (in my opinion).

Having said that, I very much like All That You Can't Leave Behind.

The differences between the two albums are greater I think, than most people have made out so far. Part of this is U2's own fault for building up this album as a 'rocker' or a return to their 'punk' roots. It is hard to see how this collection of songs does either of those things. But if ATYCLB was good, why not another one in the same vein?

The answer, I think is that many of the songs on 'Bomb' sound like 'Leave Behind' b-sides. That is, they are more simplistic musically and less interesting lyrically.

Crumbs from Your Table, A Man and a Woman, and One Step Closer are very forgettable.

The 'heavier' songs like Vertigo, Love and Peace or Else and Fast Cars sound out of place.

Original of the Species and All Because of You seem uneven to me, either unfinished or overproduced so that they became muddled.

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own and Miracle Drug are solid U2 fare, but would be lost on stronger albums.

City of Blinding Lights and Yaweh are the tracks worth taking from this album (and Vertigo is kind of fun) for me. COBL has the kind of U2 slowly developing aura that make Bad and Streets so good. I do wish that it was a little stronger lyrically, but overall, a great song. Yaweh isn't so much a stand-out musical experience as it is a prayer that only U2 could write. That makes it, along with '40' and 'Grace', one of U2's closing, meditative moments.

Last edited:
Just posting that I agree completely with Ody on nearly everything he said. I really like ATYCLB and HTDAAB just seems like b-sides from the album. Yes what he said. LAPOE is a great track but also sticks out like a sore thumb.

well i hate to say it.... but can you please not buy tickets for the concert? and give the people that enjoy the album a chance of getting some tickets?

cdparky said:
IMO the only true test of how good an album is how well it stands the test of time. HTDAAB sounds great now but will it in 2 years time? Nobody can know that yet - lot's of people I knew were very disappointed with AB when it came out but that is now widely viewed (rightly so) as their 2nd masterpiece.

HTDAAB can be put in it's proper persepctive once all the dust has settled on the tour, not before then.

These are all good points. HTDAAB is excellent now. Who knows 10 years in the future?

"Yahweh" is a good tune. It'd be interesting to hear Bono 15 years ago sing this -- then it'd be great. Or even (perhaps) another singer who can carry the chorus better. Bono sounds strained here, but if you listen to it closely, it can be a very powerful song.

Coupled with Bono and the boys' well-known energy when playing live, "Yahweh" could definitely become a crowd-pleaser.

I think U2 did make a big mistake plugging this as a "punk rock made on Venus" record before they truly knew which direction it was going. Although I think Vertigo, ABOY and LAPOE sort of fit that intriguing description, the rest of the album is definitely ABTYCLB Part II - sometimes done much better than ATYCLB, sometimes not. So when I first heard HTDAAB I was kind of happy and let down at the same time.

Back when the band was mkaing all those rock and roll album comments, that WAS the direction they were going in, but things didn't work out with Chris Thomas. Once Lillywhite came in it was a whole nother story and now this is what we have.

I really can't believe that a few people are saying that HTDAAB songs sound like ATYCLB b-sides...
HTDAAB is everything ATYCLB should have been. Return to the classic U2 of the 80's. ATYCLB is probably, along with Rattle and Hum(what's with the unnecessary covers, non U2 songs and, for God's sakes, Love Rescue Me?), U2's worst album.
Now that U2 covered that ground for me(corrected the 2000 mistake with this amazing album) it's time for something new.

LiveFire said:
Just posting that I agree completely with Ody on nearly everything he said. I really like ATYCLB and HTDAAB just seems like b-sides from the album. Yes what he said. LAPOE is a great track but also sticks out like a sore thumb.

Love and Peace Or Else is a track that Steve Lilywhite had nothing to do with and also is one of the best sounding tracks on the album. The album suffers from a poor mix and poor production, it distorts at high volumes which can not be said for previous albums.

KUEFC09U2 said:
well i hate to say it.... but can you please not buy tickets for the concert? and give the people that enjoy the album a chance of getting some tickets?

Well tough, I will be buying a ticket for concerts next year as I always do, and just cos I don't rate the album as highly as some people don't mean that I can't buy tickets.

djerdap said:
I really can't believe that a few people are saying that HTDAAB songs sound like ATYCLB b-sides...
HTDAAB is everything ATYCLB should have been. Return to the classic U2 of the 80's. ATYCLB is probably, along with Rattle and Hum(what's with the unnecessary covers, non U2 songs and, for God's sakes, Love Rescue Me?), U2's worst album.
Now that U2 covered that ground for me(corrected the 2000 mistake with this amazing album) it's time for something new.

What's funny about this is that I love Rattle and Hum, it was my first U2 album and along with JT and AB, my favorite. I love U2 singing with a gospel choir, U2 doing ballads right with Hawkmoon and All I Want Is You, U2 with B.B. King! After those come War and ATYCLB.

Bomb is down with October and Pop. But still, I like them all. U2 is my favorite band. I will listen to this album 10x as much as any other one this year, probably.

But it doesn't feel like an album to me, more of a collection of songs. Say what you want about ATYCLB, but it felt very unified in theme and style. HTDAAB seems disjointed, and perhaps that is a side effect of overproduction. Vertigo, instead of representing the album, is an exception to most of the other material. It's interesting that Vertigo and ABOY were the first singles. Maybe these were the songs that the whole album was supposed to sound like. Who knows?

As for these new songs sounding like b-sides, I think they are, as a whole, simpler and more repetitive in melody and lyrics than ATYCLB. This is why I labeled them that way. I'm not sure if this is U2's nod to 'garage rock', which has been mentioned elsewhere, or an attempt to get back to their '80s' sound. I find though, that their actual '80s sound' is much richer and complex than their current offering.

Another side note: the cover and title of bomb also suggest an aggressive-sounding record, which doesn't mix well with the songs that are contained on it. (small quibble.)

Last edited:
Some people don't like the album. Big deal. Rattle and Hum was univerasaly loathed by critics. A lot of U2 fans HATED Achtung Baby. A lot more hated Zooropa. And Pop is the most reviled work in the U2 catalogue amongst both fans and critics.
ATYCLB was hated by a few and loved by many more.
Some of the Interferencers who hate HTDAAB compare it to ATYCLB and say that it's too tame. Some who hate HTDAAB love ATYCLB. Some who hate HTDAAB bemoan that lack of Pop style experimentation. Some who hate HTDAAB say that it's the bands worst album since...Pop.

There is a general consensus among music fans and critics that Rattle & Hum and Pop are the dogs in the U2 catalogue.
The same consensus holds that War, JT, AB and ATYCLB are the gems.
You don't have to agree with them but that's the way it is.
A couple of years from now HTDAAB will join the list of gems.
You might now like it. Maybe you wish U2 would go back to writing songs like Miami or Stuck in a Moment. Maybe you hate HTDAAB with every fiber in your body. But it doesn't matter because most people (and critics) are going to like it--a lot.
You won't change the public consensus no matter how loud you holler--or how many times you make the same comments online.

Just don't listen to it if you don't like it. I'm not much of a fan of Rattle and Hum. I haven't listened to that one all the way through in about 8 years.

Last edited:
I think the reason people r this disappointed are because expectations were rele high 4 this album. 4 me, it reached those expectations, but it didn't have that extra oomph to pass them.

JT was a very solid album, and had at least 3 stand out trax (Streets, WOWY, ISHWILF...), and AB was the same way (One, the Fly, and UtEotW). This album is just solid, and has more radio-friendly (or iTunes friendly...) tunes on it than others.

I like this album alot, and I still rank it up 4th *behind UF*, it just feels like they're trying to hard to appeal 2 a grander audience, if they let it flow like they used 2, they'll have another AB/JT on their hands *IMO*

I'm rele anticipating wut Bono wuld do w/ the October lyrics and if they'll make a new album soon w/ all those unreleased B-sides and the briefcased stuff:drool:

People need to get their hearing checked, this album is certainly the most guitar driven album since Achtung Baby and I dont think their is any question about that. If you are a fan of big guitars every song I dont think U2 is the band you should be listening to....go listen to heavy metal, I will take Bomb anytime. Too say the rhythem section of Larry and Adam arent making a contribution is rediculus, these 2 have especially improved their own abilities over the last 10 years....let people say what they want to say the majority will be happy with the album.

djerdap said:

I don't think I could have said it better myself!

Anyone who thinks HTDAAB is WORSE than ATYCLB are probably the same people who thought Achtung Baby was an abomination when it first came out.

HTDAAB is just so much more INTERESTING than ATYCLB. That is what seals it for me. It is why I love Pop too and Passengers.

shaun vox said:
haha im going to buy all the tickets and then burn them hahah then u2 will play all the crap songs from htdaab to an empty hall and when they actually play songs that kick arss like btbs or new years day ill listen hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

you are super intelligent with a quick wit.

but then I expect that from a velvet revolver fan.

I've been reading some the Hot Press archives and these (critic's)comments are so reminicent of every album since AB. It was hated then loved, a classic. POP & Zooropa were the same. U2's first or second crap album. (which I might add was before Bono's famous statement of having 2 in a row, I think) ATYCLB was the darling of U2 critics, untill now of course and it's hated and some are saying this is ATYCLB2. Bollocks..
This has all been said and done by critics before and most of them have their facts wrong anyway. The latest Blender review even had JT as a follow up to Rattle & Hum. Alot of, but not all, of the reviews I have read have just a few words/paragraphs changed and that's their review. This amuses me at best.
I guess what I am saying is if you listen to "them" and don't make up your own mind, then you deserve the album you get...
If you don't like it as much as the "other" one then listen to that one. At this point I'm enjoying every minute of it and I don't compare it to any other album but I do find some musical reference to almost every album they have done - on this one. I also LOVE CFYT and AMAAW, which are dissed or left out of almost every review I've read. Do I care? Feck no. It's what I like, and that's all that matters... :wink:

Alot of U2's songs sound better live than on an album. Maybe next year when the band is on tour, you'd like the songs and appreciate the album more.

Well like i have said before i love Bomb!...when i first heard it it blew me away...and it still does :)
People can love it or not doen't bother me..and it may still grow on you...give it time ..:)

It always makes me kind of laugh to myself when I hear people's complaint that this album doesn't have classics like With Or Without You, or One, or any other song. What this album has is Miracle Drug, Sometimes.. All Because.. City of Blinding Lights.. Original...

These songs will be classics.

I discovered last night that the best way to listen to HTDAAB is to stick it in a cd changer with 5 other u2 albums and stick it on random. Mixed in with other tracks, HTDAAB dosn't seem so bad (except Miracle Drug) - I think I'm falling in love with fast cars. I don't think it will ever be as good for me as AB, pop or ATYCLB (or even passengers or the million dollar hotel which I also love) but I guess it could grow on me.

Oh and I can guarentee I'm not a troll. Fans are allowed to not always like stuff they do. :sad:

No. 3.5 said:
I discovered last night that the best way to listen to HTDAAB is to stick it in a cd changer with 5 other u2 albums and stick it on random. Mixed in with other tracks, HTDAAB dosn't seem so bad (except Miracle Drug) - I think I'm falling in love with fast cars. I don't think it will ever be as good for me as AB, pop or ATYCLB (or even passengers or the million dollar hotel which I also love) but I guess it could grow on me.

Oh and I can guarentee I'm not a troll. Fans are allowed to not always like stuff they do. :sad:

Well said on that last part, however, what is it you dont like so far about Miracle Drug? Im just interested - for me, it was one of the songs on the album that stuck in my head after just one listen!

Aardvark747 said:

Well said on that last part, however, what is it you dont like so far about Miracle Drug? Im just interested - for me, it was one of the songs on the album that stuck in my head after just one listen!

I'm not really sure - it just seems so tacky. I also can't stand the track that starts off 'little sister...' purely for that first cliched start to a rock song line.

Back
Top Bottom