hypocrisy accusation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
I've just read an article on a mailing list that's taken from the Sunday Times. The article accuses Bono, George Michael, and Bob Geldof of being hypocrites. The accusation is rooted in the fact that these guys supposedly know that being a star is a bit ridiculous, but use their stardom anyway. I don't think I agree with this. Bono clearly understands the absurdity of celebrity. Yes, he's using it. The fact of the matter is that celebrity status exists. I don't think he's necessarily giving the whole celebrity circus a huge stamp of approval. He's acknowledging the fact that it exists, and since it does, why not go for something more than VIP passes? If you can use it to get people to focus on a huge problem like global AIDS or other big time political or social problems that you feel strongly about, why not?

I think there is a huge difference between understanding clebrity and using it and abusing your celebrity status.

There are celebs out there who abuse their status and take part in, well, if not illegal activities, then certainly activities that are morally questionable or that deliberately hurt others.

It's a fine line to walk.

You've got to have responsibility in order to not abuse your status.

Bono, Bon and George are all doing good things with their status.

Can anyone send me the URL to that article in The Sunday TImes so that I can post it?

Thanks a million! :)

oooooooops wrong thread...*whistles and sneaks out*

Last edited:
HelloAngel said:
Can anyone send me the URL to that article in The Sunday TImes so that I can post it?

Thanks a million! :)

I saw it on a separate mailing list and never had the URL. I'll look for Sunday Times stuff if you want it. It might be on the Internet. I live in the U.S. so it's not at the news stand.

Desire4Bono said:
That's awful! Why not use your stardom for something good? Let's face it, if any of us who aren't stars tried to get in with world leaders we'd be hauled away. So why should stars sit there and do nothing if they can do something? They give us all a voice and a way in!

I think people who take such a jaundiced attitude towards people who are doing good things are pretty sorry. It's not like they're promoting drugs or other harmful things. I don't like this attitude at all. It's too cynical.

Wow, is this ever creepy. I just finished writing a term paper on celebrity culture & charities a while back. But anyhoo, I think part of it stems from credibility. Most of the time, celebrities who go and advocate social causes are rarely knowledgeable about the issue they are facing. Others, like Bono & Geldof know the stuff inside out and, as a result, are successful.

Of course, there is a downside to being a celebrity advocate. The fact is that while most celebs can draw the public's attention towards a particular issue, many fail to motivate the masses, other than their own dedicated or casual fans, to help or join the cause.

Those are my thoughts... of course, I'd like to see this article.

Back
Top Bottom