?huge, spectacular stage show? that will put PopMart to shame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
got this from u2log.com

The Mirror reports U2 have been meeting to discuss the release of their next album and plan their tour. Sources tell the tabloid that Bono is keen to do a stadium tour because he believes fans had difficulty obtaining tickets on the Elevation tour. If the band decide to go with a stadium tour, it will be a ?huge, spectacular stage show? that will put PopMart to shame. The sources also say the tour will most likely begin next summer and that shows have been planned for the United States, Europe, Australia, and Brazil.

The Mirror : U2 READY TO HIT THE ROAD AGAIN and READY TO ROCK THE WORLD
[ 15/10/2003 ]

U2 are preparing to hit the road again for a huge world tour and with it a return to performing in gigantic stadiums, I can reveal.

The band have been locked in meetings about the release of their new album and a subsequent tour that will last almost a year.

Insiders say BONO and the band are seriously considering going back to their stadium shows after ditching them in favour of more intimate arenas on their last tour.

My spy revealed: "The album is nearly finished and now attention is turning to their touring plans.

"Bono is in favour of doing more stadium shows because so many fans missed out on tickets on the Elevation tour.

"If they end up performing outdoors they want a huge, spectacular stage show to go with it.

"If you thought the Pop Mart tour was visually impressive then you should see what they are talking about for this one."

The band last performed in Ireland when they headlined two record-breaking nights at Slane in 2001. But their rest of their tour was confined to arenas in America and Europe that held little more than 20,000 fans each night.

Sources close to the group say the band are in the early stages of making plans for the tour but indications are that they will kick it off next summer.

Shows in America, Brazil, Australia and Europe have been planned. The insider added: "It's going to be one of the great rock and roll tours.

"U2 are without doubt one of the greatest live bands out there. The Elevation tour really put them at the top of the ladder again."

The band have been working on their new album for the last eight months and Bono says it is nearly complete.

The 43-year-old revealed: "It's going to be a raw sound which will be driven by THE EDGE'S angry guitar playing.

"We are closer than ever to making the kind of music that we always wanted to. It's a very exciting time."

Special Ed:heart:
U2:heart:
encouraging news :hyper:
this post has everything.
What do they mean by "next summer"? Can someone please clarify and take and educated guess when they may arrive in Australia? I have to plan a budget, 'cause I knew this would happen...I lashed out and bought two Metallica tickets yesterday and a dinner suit and, and........ so I'm plasticked to the max at the moment. If U2 turn up too soon...I'll be %@#!ed.

still and all headache, you made my day...thanks
I personally was hoping they would do an acoustic pub tour.....but I can handle "spectacular"
:ohmy: :drool: :dance: :applaud:

I really hope these rumours are true. It makes since that it will begin next summer in America, which is the best time for great weather conditions. Which is a must for stadium tours. U2 is one of the few bands that can do a stadium tour and I really think they will take advantage of the situations. As U2 fans I think were gonna have a hell of a year. I wonder who might open for them? Maybe Coldplay or Radiohead. LESS THAN 7 MONTHS!!!

Well Cass, when they say next summer, they mean May/June. They will probably come to Australia during your summer months, which is our winter.

I really hope there is truth to this. But at the same time, I hope that they do some arenas. Otherwise, there won't be many shows close to me. I live in Ohio, and it's not the biggest U2 state. Maybe they could play one stadium show in Cleveland, and not play anywhere in Ohio or Indiana, then it would sell out. I really hope they come to Columbus, in whichever venue. While a stadium tour will be awesome, it also makes me sad, b/c I won't get to as many shows. But I understand that they have a demand to satisfy.

First things first...........get my hands on the album!!

Hey Acrobat, just save up some money to make a few shows. I'm sure U2 will charge $50 for balcony seats, which is half as much as Elevation tickets. With air, hotel, ticket it should total around $350 trip. It will be worth it. I went to see the Popmart in Vegas opening night and it was one of the greatest weekends of my life.

The_acrobat said:
Well Cass, when they say next summer, they mean May/June. They will probably come to Australia during your summer months, which is our winter.

I really hope there is truth to this. But at the same time, I hope that they do some arenas. Otherwise, there won't be many shows close to me. I live in Ohio, and it's not the biggest U2 state. Maybe they could play one stadium show in Cleveland, and not play anywhere in Ohio or Indiana, then it would sell out. I really hope they come to Columbus, in whichever venue. While a stadium tour will be awesome, it also makes me sad, b/c I won't get to as many shows. But I understand that they have a demand to satisfy.

First things first...........get my hands on the album!!

If they do a stadium show I could very well see them playing Ohio Stadium here in Columbus like they did for Popmart since it's basically in the center of the state and could draw people from all around. All I can say is I intend on being there and a few other shows regardless of stadiums or arenas.

I still hope they will consider doing some arena shows in smaller markets. Oh, well, if it IS all stadiums I'll probably have a better chance of getting a ticket, even if I do have to travel a long way.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but...

I'm not at all certain I want to see a humongus PopMart-like extravaganza. Shows that big cost a lot of money, and since U2 doesn't accept sponsorship, we, the fans, will be paying elevated ticket prices to see an over-the-top show.

There is a certain elegance to simplicity. A simple stage set doesn't distract from the music or the performers. That, and it costs a lot less to ship from town to town, and overseas and all.

After all is said and done, it is the band's decision. But if ticket prices are too high, I won't be able to go, and I haven't seen a U2 show since 1987. I desperately want to see them live at least one more time. :sad:

Sue DeNym said:

I'm not at all certain I want to see a humongus PopMart-like extravaganza. Shows that big cost a lot of money, and since U2 doesn't accept sponsorship, we, the fans, will be paying elevated ticket prices to see an over-the-top show.

There is a certain elegance to simplicity. A simple stage set doesn't distract from the music or the performers. That, and it costs a lot less to ship from town to town, and overseas and all.

After all is said and done, it is the band's decision. But if ticket prices are too high, I won't be able to go, and I haven't seen a U2 show since 1987. I desperately want to see them live at least one more time. :sad:

Damn, where you been? That was over a decade ago :(

id love to ee them to something similar to zoo tv. not in the look or concept of zoo but in the size and feeling. in my opinion they should start with arena's, then go stadiums. i think they have learned from the mistakes they say that they have made on the popmart tour, so it will be well planned and thought out.

I CANT WAIT!!!

As cool as it would be to see a big U2 show again, I must, for selfish reasons, say I'd be disappointed because BC Place in Vancouver really sucks for concerts. It's a giant air dome, with horrible acoustics. I saw ZooTV there, and it was extremely difficult to make out the lyrics from the music half the time. Of course, if they played out at Thunderbird Stadium, which is outdoor, that would be amazing...but they'd have to come in the summer or fall for that...and unfortunately, they seem to come to Vancouver only in the winter. Besides, Thunderbird Stadium is way too small for an elaborate tour anyway.

Yes, I'm selfish in this case. I guess I could always go see them in Edmonton, where they have a huge outdoor stadium...it's only a measly 14 hour drive :(

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. They must have determined the market is there for them to play stadiums and moved their 2005 plans for the entire tour. The other part is that I think they have determined that they do not want to be on the road for over a year again and the tentative plans they were discussing would put them on the road for a good 2 years. So this may be why they are electing to do stadiums.

The positive, none of us should have a problem getting tickets to shows and should be able to go to any show we would like for the most part.

The negative, fewer shows will be happening. Also, the great seats will be difficult to obtain with fewer shows. For Popmart I relied on Propaganda and they put in the first 15 rows 7 times out of 9. Doesnt look like we will have Propaganda, so that is out. They may the general admission thing again though, the the pins or corals like they have done for festival/stadium shows in Europe for years.

As long as they tour, I could really care less what type of venue.
Of course take this with a grain of salt. Its a rumor. My guess would still be on the combo tour, start in arenas then to stadiums. But I wouldnt be shocked if this report turns out to be true. Stadiums will be done on the next tour as I have said in previous threads. Its just a question of how many and where.

Last edited:
Sue DeNym said:

we have a lot in common, miss sue. i skipped the pop tour on purpose.

just curious, where did you see them in '87? :)

well, we might get propaganda for one more round, seeing they have one more issue to come out!

B-stage most likely equals lame acoustic set. I don't like acoustic sets. Is it really that hard for Larry and Adam to play on all songs. Edge and Bono don't take a break, and they do fine. But I agree that they need some sort of extension device into the crowd. Imagine if they just had the typical stage at one end of the field, and no extension. Bono would go nuts, and eventually have an extension added.

And about the Columbus/Ohio Stadium possibility. They put almost 50,000 into Ohio Stadium on Popmart. Which was a good turnout, but it was not sold out. Ohio Stadium is enormous. For a game, it seats over 100,000. That's without the back 1/3 of the stadium cut out. Crew Stadium, also in Columbus, holds about 30,000. That's also a possibility. So is Cincinnati....they haven't played there since 1981. You'd draw people in from Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio into one central location. Such is the case with columbus and cincinnati. However, Cleveland is just more of a rock'n'roll town. Who knows. All I know is that I hope Ohio gets at least one show. I'll make the trip to Chicago also.

and Brazil.

FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That?s the greatest news I?ve heard for years....

This show is gonna be the best day of my life!!
You all can kill me after that cos I have NEVER seen U2 live and I never thought they would return to Brazil... one more time.,.

probably the last time :(

Just for shits and giggles, I'm speculating where all they could possibly do a stadium tour. Things to take into consideration.....
...right now they are more popular than they were in Popmart. The new album will also heighten anticipation of these shows and lead to higher sales. Prices will undoubtedly be lower. Here's what I think they could do.

New York- 4 shows at Giants Stadium
Phili- 2 shows at Veterans Stadium
Washington DC- 1 show at FedEx Field (cap. 70,000)
Boston- 2 shows at Gillette Stadium (cap. 60,000)
Buffalo- 1 show, Ralph Wilson Stadium
Montreal- 1 show
Toronto- 2 shows
Detroit- 1 show @ Comerica Park
Ohio- 1 show in either Cleveland or Columbus
Chicago- 3 shows @ Soldier Field
Pittsburgh- 1 show, won't sell out
Madison- 1 show, spaced out from Chicago shows
Minneapolis- 1 show, won't sell out
St. Louis- 1 show
Miami- 1 show
Tampa- 1 show, won't sell out
Atlanta- 1 show
Carolinas- 1 show in either Raleigh, Charlotte or Columbia
Houston- 1 show
Dallas- 1 show, spaced out from Houston
Phoenix- 1 show, returning to the great Sun Devil Stadium
San Diego- 1 show, won't sell out
Los Angeles- 2 shows at LA Coliseum
San Francisco- 2 shows at Pacific Bell Park. 2nd show won't sell out
Las Vegas- 1 show @ Sam Boyd
Vancouver- 1 show @ BC Place
Seattle- 1 show, spread out from Vancouver
Edmonton- 2 shows
Salt Lake city- 1 show @ Rice Stadium
Denver- 1 show @ Mile High Stadium

Anybody else think they could or couldn't do these dates, or if more should be added.

Yeah, I got spoiled during the Elevation tour. I'd like more arena shows...so intimate. Not looking forward to being up in the nose bleed seats. Although, at this point any show would be awsome!:drool:

I want stadiums, I want pretty lights and things, I want it big, I want it loud.
Please fullfill this for me U2, thanks.

If they tour here, I will only see them the once (if I'm lucky) so I want it to be spectacular.

:|

The_acrobat said:
Edmonton- 2 shows

Anybody else think they could or couldn't do these dates, or if more should be added.

I have contention with that one... during plans for the elevation tour they came into problems with certain "demands" from the Edmonton arena and concert organizers. So they went south to Calgary and had 2 great elevation shows...

Interesting to see how things play out, seeing as they swore off Edmunchuck, and Calgary has no outdoor stadium outside of residential zoning laws.

:down:

Back
Top Bottom