HUGE numbers on this weeks U.S. chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew_Page2000

War Child
My God. Have these people actually seen the new Creed video? Have they listened to the song? What the hell is wrong with these idiots? I KNEW this would happen but it's still disappointing.

MAP

I'll try looking for some stats and I'll definitely buy next weeks Billboard on Monday to see if they list several chart positions actual sales numbers. This is very interesting. 75,000 for the #50 position?!?! If its true thats got to be a record.

Holy crap, looking at hitsdailydouble, the numbers coming out this week are BIG.

It looks like the cheesiest band of all time, Creed, will walk away with around 800,000 to 850,000 in it's debut week. There are 14 debuts in the top 50! One more than last week.

The big news is the big numbers across the board. The number 50 album is looking like it might score 70 - 75,000 in sales this week! That is up 70% from just last week and 100% from the week before!!
At that rate, the number 80 album will sell around 40,000 copies this week, the number 90 album will be around 30,000 copies. I would suspect that U2 will end up somewhere in that vacinity. That is a lot of sales speculation on my part, and I would love it if doctorwho or STING had some sales info from Billboard from the same week last year, so that we could compare a bit.

That's all for now. More to come soon

Well it looks like I may have spoken too soon STING. With 79% of the sales in, #50 is heading for 60-65,000. Which may also drop as we go along today. With hitsdaily, nothing is for sure until the end of the day today. Right now the top 23 albums will sell 100,000 or more! Usually it's only the top 5 and I think the top 10 last week. Actually the albums in the top 5 will be close to 500,000 this week. #35 is set to hit 80,000, #43 is on it's way to 70,000.

More at the end of the day

Remember what time of year it is. Last year, U2's album sold 100,000 copies or more for the first 9 weeks - even when it charted as low as #23. The week before Xmas, the album sold 259,000 copies yet only ranked #18! That same week, the top 33 albums all sold 100,000 copies or more! Given that last week was Thanksgiving, it's no surprise to see this jump in sales.

Well the numbers are in at hits, and it was quite a holiday weekend. Again, the kids are out in full force, as are the parents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc... needing to find gifts for the kids...

Britney Spears sales go up 35%
Backstreet Boys go up 40%
nsync go up 85%!

Creed ends up selling almost 900,000 copies.
and the new Now 8 sells almost 600,000.

The number 22 album sold over 100,000 copies and the number 50 album was just shy of 60,000.

What's good about the hits chart is the percentage difference info. By scanning over the albums, we can see that there was about a 30-40% increase across the board. For example, the BSB increased 40% but move DOWN one spot on the chart, Linkin Park goes up 50% but only goes up 2 spots, Enya goes up 44% and stays the same, Britney up 35% and drops one spot. Looking at other info, I think we will be able to deduce U2's sales increase or decrease once we see their chart standing on Billboard. If they were to drop from number 80 to number 90 (my prediction) I would estimate that they would have gotten about a 5 to 10% increase in sales. If they stay the same, it could be anywhere from a 30 - 40% increase. If they go up it would most likely be 40% or more.

Obviously this varies and there are exceptions to the percentage game I am playing, but it holds pretty true for the majority of albums on the chart this week.

One promising note, is that with all the debuts that came out, 10 of them charted at number 25 or below. These are weak debuts that will most likely be sent packing to the bottom of the charts within the next couple of weeks.

The real chart comes out tomorrow, so we will see what's happening then.

straight from the horses mouth -

hitsdailydouble reports:
<Twenty-two albums sold more than 100k this week, compared to 15 last week. Sales were up across-the-board, with this week?s Top 50 albums selling a total of 51% more than those on last week?s chart. And with Thanksgiving coming early this year, retailers have an extra week before Christmas, which could be a crucial factor in improving the holiday sales outlook. Still, the retail jury remains divided.>

Also a bit of strange news. I'm not sure what to make of it.

<Online retailers like Amazon.com, Yahoo! and Kmart?s Bluelight.com all saw 50-75% gains.
Best-sellers included Harry Potter merch, video game consoles, DVD players and
battery-operated vibrators.>

BATTERY-OPERATED VIBRATORS?!?!?
hmmmm... the holidays can be a lonely time
smile.gif

Originally posted by womanfish:
Looking at other info, I think we will be able to deduce U2's sales increase or decrease once we see their chart standing on Billboard. If they were to drop from number 80 to number 90 (my prediction) I would estimate that they would have gotten about a 5 to 10% increase in sales. If they stay the same, it could be anywhere from a 30 - 40% increase. If they go up it would most likely be 40% or more.

The real chart comes out tomorrow, so we will see what's happening then.

I just checked the Billboard 200. Womanfish, part of your predicition is wrong, as U2 rises 3 positions to #77. They also have a gold background (indicating increased sales). So let the guessing begin what the actual sales were for U2!

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Here's the best part about this week's charting. ATYCLB has proven to have better 'staying power' than all the other albums release before and subsequently AFTER its release back in October of 2000! Only Linkin Park is charting higher with Enya doing well too. This means that U2 is gaining fans, unlike ALL THOSE OTHER ARTISTS that made their mark on the charts and then vanished. (Bon Jovi, anyone
smile.gif
?)
Stuck fell one spot on the adult top 40, which probably means it's days are over. At least it did better than Walk On and Elevation. Do you think Kite will come next? I doubt it.

Pretty cool news...later...

Great news. Not only did ATYCLB rise from #80 to 77 but according to MTV News sales increased 59%. All we need is last weeks sales totals to figure out this weeks numbers. The math is as easy as it gets.

MTV News attributes the sales increase to the VH1 airing of Live from Boston.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Great news. Not only did ATYCLB rise from #80 to 77 but according to MTV News sales increased 59%. All we need is last weeks sales totals to figure out this weeks numbers. The math is as easy as it gets.

Based on the predictions of the last few weeks I'd guess that ATYCLB again sold about 21,000 - 22,000 copies last week. Multiply it with 59% and my estimate is that ATYCLB sold about 33,000 - 34,000 copies last week.

Yeah!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

I wonder if these items are related in any way (except for being the best-sellers)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
I wonder if these items are related in any way (except for being the best-sellers)

Salome I think that the connection are all the lonely geeks - fantasy+video games+masturbation. It's all they need and have

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

What's significant about this 59% increase (and 3 spot jump) is that in came in probably the most hotly-contested week on the Billboard charts. An amazing 15 albums debuted ABOVE U2 and yet U2 still managed to move upward. That means U2 passed 18 albums on the charts, which is almost incredible. This shows that U2 will stick around through the Xmas shopping period, which is a huge plus for the album. They have successfully weathered most of the big name Christmas releases.

All U2 has do to is defend against albums already below them to maintain a foothold in the top 100. A quick scan of the top 100 shows that quite a few of the albums directly ahead of U2 (in the 60-75 spots) are very vulnerable and U2 can pick those off next week. Some of the new releases (such as Lenny Kravitz, Natalie Merchant, etc) will sink quickly in such a competitive environment. I look for the G. Hits collections and Xmas albums to show more staying power over the next month than the actual BRAND NEW music.

Sting, Womanfish, Dr., anyone else...thoughts?

Best-sellers included battery-operated vibrators.

And who said that women don't masturbate? Hehe...

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

WOW a 59% increase!! That's about the third or fourth highest increase on the chart! Very cool. I hope that they win a few awards on VH1, maybe they can hold on a little longer.

Does anyone think it's kind of funny that Michael Jackson album sales have gone down?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Not so much funny as it is obvious. Jacko's day has passed.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Back
Top Bottom