HUGE album news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strato Edge

War Child
The Mirror reports U2 have been meeting to discuss the release of their next album and plan their tour. Sources tell the tabloid that Bono is keen to do a stadium tour because he believes fans had difficulty obtaining tickets on the Elevation tour. If the band decide to go with a stadium tour, it will be a ?huge, spectacular stage show? that will put PopMart to shame. The sources also say the tour will most likely begin next summer and that shows have been planned for the United States, Europe, Australia, and Brazil.

From the Log

Note 'tabloid'. The next tour probably will be a stadium tour as its good for the ego and even better for the bank balance, but Bono told Hot Press in 2002 that Slane proved to them they could could play big spaces with very few props and production, and that was the future.

This is fantastic news!!! And yes, fans did have a hard time getting tickets to Elevation. Especially in Europe and in Northeastern U.S., where the supply was hardly enough to satisfy demand. But they couldn't do a stadium show in Ohio, so I hope they also do some arena shows.

But with the right approach, U2 could do a stadium tour. The marketing approach would have to make everybody think they must buy the new U2 album and go to the new U2 tour. To appeal to the masses, you have to use clever marketing strategies that play on the stupidity of the general public. I know some of you think "screw the masses." I agree, but masses of people will be needed to fill stadiums next summer.

Slapnutz said:
Note 'tabloid'. The next tour probably will be a stadium tour as its good for the ego and even better for the bank balance, but Bono told Hot Press in 2002 that Slane proved to them they could could play big spaces with very few props and production, and that was the future.

One point though...
'Tabloid' means two different things in the USA and the UK.
In the UK, tabloids arent filled with the Alien Baby BS, like they are here. They are respectable news sources.

Elvis said:

One point though...
'Tabloid' means two different things in the USA and the UK.
In the UK, tabloids arent filled with the Alien Baby BS, like they are here. They are respectable news sources.

You've obviously never picked up a copy of the Daily Star. As for the Mirror and Sun etc, they may be news sources, but they are from respectable. They have a few good political reporters on board but the entertainment sections are full of assumptions and spin. Some of it produced by yours truly. :wink: If it ain't a direct quote, take it with a huge grain of salt. I've lost count of the number of times editors have told me to throw in the term 'sources' or a 'close pal of the star'.

All this talk of dragons and a stadium tour - they HAVE to play the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff!

(The dragon is the emblem of Wales by the way!)

The Mirror is a pretty reputable paper..I believe this.

Plus stadium shows will be more spread out and should be easier on the LV's voicebox.

Maybe this will be Willie's chance to bring this one to life:

"Another idea I had for a stadium show didn't have a stage as such but utilised the whole of the stadium floor with moving vehicles. There would have been audience all over the field and of course 360 degrees all around in the grandstands. I had this fantasy vision of opening the show with "Always Forever Now" and driving in a cavalcade of motorbikes, monster trucks and custom vehicles carrying lighting, video screens and a blaring sound system. Can't imagine why the band didn't go for it."

Jim said:
Maybe this will be Willie's chance to bring this one to life:

"Another idea I had for a stadium show didn't have a stage as such but utilised the whole of the stadium floor with moving vehicles. There would have been audience all over the field and of course 360 degrees all around in the grandstands. I had this fantasy vision of opening the show with "Always Forever Now" and driving in a cavalcade of motorbikes, monster trucks and custom vehicles carrying lighting, video screens and a blaring sound system. Can't imagine why the band didn't go for it."

One word: insurance.

If they don't come to Australia ... I might just kidnap them and bring them here anyway! We need U2!

Back
Top Bottom