HTDAAB Vs. Hail to the Thief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom

Acrobat
I thought that it would be cool to talk about the latest offerings from 2 bands that at one point were making quite similar music, and were often compared to each other. But then came 2000, where we had ATYCLB from U2 and Kid A from Radiohead. Since then, their music has been vastly different.

I think a lot of U2 fans also began to gravitate towards Radiohead being their favourite band in the wake of ATYCLB, because according to them, Radiohead were still pushing forwards musically while U2 seemed to have 'mainstreamized'. I was actually one of those people - I thought that Radiohead were basically everything U2 was before ATYCLB and weren't anymore - they had the tunes, the lyrics, the musicianship, the passion, and they were willing to take risks. U2 on the other hand were a pale shadow of what they once were.

But HTTT in my opinion has absolutely nothing on HTDAAB - as someone whose favourite RH album is the Bends (closely followed by Kid A), I was initially excited by the partial return to more concrete song structures in HTTT combined with the sonic landscapes. But after a few months of trying to convince myself that it was on par with their best work, I stopped listening to it. Beside 'I Will' and maybe 'Myxomatosis', I feel that its pretty crap. A completely uninspired piece of work - the lyrics are strange without being interesting, the melodies are weak, and the experimentation seems terribly indulgent (as opposed to Kid A, where after a while it seemed almost natural that the songs should be the way they were).

With HTDAAB on the other hand, I was almost waiting to tear it down from the day Vertigo came out - I was determined not to 'try to love it', like ATYCLB (minus Kite and IALW) and feel like I tricked myself a year later (btw the idea that ATYCLB is weak is simply my opinion). But a month after its release, it still blows me away. Regardless of the continuation with more structured songs and the terrible mixing in some parts, I think its a motherfucking awesome album (the only weakness for me being OOTS). To be able to listen to a piece of music with your heart totally into it and your head keeping silent despite its best attempts to find fault is an amazing feeling, and HTDAAB does that for me.

I honestly did not think U2 could compete with Radiohead on that level anymore after 2000, but this album has proven me completely and happily wrong. What do all the other Radiohead listeners think?

Last edited:
When Hail To The Tief came out, i wasn't expecting it cause i was a casual Radiohead fan, but oit really blew me away. All, i repeat, ALL the songs were just great. And i continued listening to it the whole next year, and i still listen it often. IMO, it's a strong album.
Now, I can't compare it with ATYCLB or HTDAAB, but i can say that i was more pleased with Hail than with A-Bomb when it came out.

But U2 is just different - my best band. Radiohead will always be by the side! :wink:

well, if you posted that on atease.com you'd be hung up by your *insert body parts*.

I agree with you, I'm a huge fan of radiohead, but HTTT left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't think they'll return to the glory days of the bends or ok computer ever again. that being said, HTDAAB walk all over HTTT for me, primarily because it's uplifting, whereas HTTT is downright depressing.

but me saying "I hope radiohead makes another bends" is like anyone saying "I hope u2 makes another joshua tree"; ain't gonna happen.

JOFO said:

that being said, HTDAAB walk all over HTTT for me, primarily because it's uplifting, whereas HTTT is downright depressing.

I really don't think that should make any change... Depressing music can be beautiful (especially in Radiohad style...):drool:

I love Radiohead's 2nd & 3rd albums but they lost me with Kid A & Amnesiac. I really don't care for those two albums. Hail to the Thief sounds like they don't know what they want to do. Be a bizarre, experimental group or on that that embraces real songs again. If Kid A & Amnesiac were as good as Zooropa, I wouldn't have a problem with them. Just because it's experimental doesn't mean it's good; some people on this board think so. Blips & sound effects doesn't make great music.

I think HTTAAB is the best U2 since AB. It's slightly better than Zooropa overall. I do think that Radiohead will come full circle (which will upset some of their "art" fans) and make a "band" album again; not traditional but something like OK Computer.

HTTAAB is way better than Hail to the Thief (though I love 2+2=5,Where I End and You Begin, & Sail to the Moon)

JOFO said:

but me saying "I hope radiohead makes another bends" is like anyone saying "I hope u2 makes another joshua tree"; ain't gonna happen.

I'll say it then.

I hope Radiohead makes another Bends! There! I said it! Muhahahahahah! Take that! damn, it's so true though. I want the rocking Radiohead back! :sad:

that said, I still love Kid A, and Amnesiac, but I can't stand HTTT, and think that it's time for them to quit the whole electronica thing.

Sadly, I can count more songs on HTTT than on HTDAAB which are VERY good to me... (and I'm not really happy about it...:( )

JOFO said:
well, if you posted that on atease.com you'd be hung up by your *insert body parts*.

I know, and it really disturbs me. Why are so many Radiohead fans such musical wankers?

tomtom said:

I know, and it really disturbs me. Why are so many Radiohead fans such musical wankers?

dunno, but that's why I had to get the hell away from that place. it got to the point that even mentioning u2 brought on fire and brimstone.

U2 is too low-brow for hard core Radiohead fans. I like Radiohead stuff a lot, but U2 just hits me dead center.:drool:

U2 was always about the passion. It's raw passion that makes them the best band in the world. When you get right down to it, they don't really care about being experimental, or "dreaming it all up again", because what really makes a band great is connection. The connection with each other. The connection with the music. And most importantly the connection with the fans. That's why we love them. U2 is a part of us, because they want to be. Thome Yorke has his head too far up his own ass to care about these critical connections.

Lancemc said:
U2 was always about the passion. It's raw passion that makes them the best band in the world. When you get right down to it, they don't really care about being experimental, or "dreaming it all up again", because what really makes a band great is connection. The connection with each other. The connection with the music. And most importantly the connection with the fans. That's why we love them. U2 is a part of us, because they want to be. Thome Yorke has his head too far up his own ass to care about these critical connections.

well, he's making the music he wants to make, no? he probably feels a connection also, it's just a different one than u2.

tomtom said:

Radiohead fans don't love music. That's why. They have a handbook of requirements and rules that decide what records/bands they can like. Saddest fans of any band ever. They make Dead Heads look good.

I'm a Radiohead fan...but not umm....not like those other super-creepy insane ones you speak of. :reject:

They mostly come out at night...mostly.

I like Radiohead as well. The fans I'm thinking of look like this:

Attachments

• cj_40857.jpg
    cj_40857.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Doesn't the fact that you haven't replaced it say something about your liking for it? I remember you said once that you bought POP 3 times.

tomtom said:
Doesn't the fact that you haven't replaced it say something about your liking for it? I remember you said once that you bought POP 3 times.

Yes... it probably does mean something... however I really liked POP (probably the first album. I really truly listened to). I dunno... Radiohead isn't my favorite band or even my 2nd favorite or third favorite so that might have something to do with it... I've bought almost every studio album from Radiohead on the day it was released (outside of their first one - can't think of the name off hand) so its not like I have anything against Radiohead. I guess the first couple of months of owning it didn't sink in.... but people always say they are a difficult band to listen to, and maybe I should give them another chance and buy the album again... however there are always other CDs that bump HTTT down on my priority list.

I think they are both great albums and hard to say which is better. There is also a definite similarity between the two. Not that they sound at all the same, but they are both albums that sum up their whole careers. HTDAAB sounds like a merger of Boy, UF, JT, AB and ATYCLB, while at the the same time HTTT has elements of all of Radiohead's albums (except Pablo Honey). Both bands have to now tread in new directions or they will start repeating themselves endlessly.

Radiohead fans on the Net are mostly idiots. Most of them think every music is shit accept OK Computer and Kid A(and that includes the other Radiohead albums, too).
That said, I am a Radiohead fan. The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A are probably the strongest trio of albums made in a row. Totally different one from the other. Hail To the Thief was a very solid record for my tastes(2+2=5 and There There are standouts), but not even close to the mentioned trio and not even close to HTDAAB.

People that bitch about Radiohead on Kid A are like the people that stopped listening to U2 after Achtung bc they sold out.

The best U2 material beats the best Radiohead material so with that said Bomb being one of U2s best beats Hail To The Theif one of Radioheads weakest by a wide margin.

HTTT was not Radiohead's finest hour, that's for sure. I am not sure that HTDAAB is U2's either, but in terms of catalogue, HTDAAB is considerably better in context of U2's releases than HTTT is in terms of Radiohead's.

Radiohead had one hell of a run from Bends to Kid A. Since then...blah. Not bad, not great. Just blah.
And their fans are excruciating, self absorbed losers with way too much time on their hands. I know Mr Brau was kidding about the handbook but it wouldn't surprise me if I actually found a copy of their hand book someday. Probably on a mass transit vehicle left behind by an intense, uptight and lonely looking guy with a shaved skull, black rimmed glasses and a t-shirt bearing the logo of an obscure electronica band he really doesn't listen to.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Radiohead had one hell of a run from Bends to Kid A. Since then...blah. Not bad, not great. Just blah.

Amnesiac was an album full of songs that are at best, b-sides and few of their fans will ever admit it.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
And their fans are excruciating, self absorbed losers with way too much time on their hands. I know Mr Brau was kidding about the handbook but it wouldn't surprise me if I actually found a copy of their hand book someday. Probably on a mass transit vehicle left behind by an intense, uptight and lonely looking guy with a shaved skull, black rimmed glasses and a t-shirt bearing the logo of an obscure electronica band he really doesn't listen to.

Bingo!

Great topic...

I think the albums must be taken in context. HTTT is an album of a band that seems to be splitting at the seams. Which is not to say that it is not a great record (I love that album) but the band is being pulled in many different directions in an effort to find its identity once again. I would not be surprised if Radiohead announce that they are breaking up soon. They don't seem to know who they are anymore and are stuck in between making their fans happy and making themselves happy with their music.

U2 on the other hand know who they are, are confident with where they are and create music that speaks to that. Some may say that lends them to become more commercial or more fan friendly and not as true to the music but I think that is somewhat disingenuous (sp?). U2 is making music that they want to make. U2 is band in their 40s still making relevant music albeit slowly but nonetheless relevant. Not many, if any bands continue into the twilight of their careers make relevant, vital music which is exactly what HTDAAB is.

I love both albums but for different reasons...as Neil Young once said "it's better to burn out than to fade way." Radiohead looks to be burning out and U2 refuses to fade away...

Radiohead made 3 great albums: Bends, Computer and Kid.

The rest is really awful. Radiohead's albums after Kid are experimental for the sake of it. They suck. And Pablo is horrible.

HTDAAB is not even a top 5 U2 for me but it's way better than Thief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom