HTDAAB Tracklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarcusOneTree

Acrobat
Hey everyone,

As much as I love "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" (I really do), if I had been in charge of deciding the tracklist I probably would have done things a bit differently. That's not to say that I don't like the actual tracklist sequence. :wink:

Just curious to hear what others think about this tracklist:

01. Love And Peace Or Else
02. Vertigo
03. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
04. A Man And A Woman
05. All Because Of You
06. Original Of The Species
07. Miracle Drug
08. Crumbs From Your Table
09. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Yahweh
11. One Step Closer

Try it out and let me know what you think. :hmm:

There was a thread on this in Where The Album Has A Name, but I'll have a stab at it this time.

1. Vertigo
2. Love And Peace Or Else
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman
6. Original Of The Species
7. All Because Of You
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. City Of BLinding Lights
10. One Step Closer
11. Yahweh

01. City Of Blinding Lights; the epic buildup of this song would have been a marvelous companion of such epic buildups as Streets and Zooropa.

02. Vertigo; after the huge sweeping buildup comes the radio friendly hit single to grab the attention of the casual listener and make them want more.

03. Crumbs From Your Table; after the fast paced radio friendly hit single must come a song only U2 could have made, and a midtempo song fits nicely after a rocker.

04. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own; keeping in progressively slowing down, this song bring the album to the slowest point it's been and then picks it back up again by the end of the song.

05. A Man And A Woman; keep the beautiful vocals ringing on with the Adult Top 40 hit (if it ever became a single).

06. One Step Closer; side A ends with a peaceful ballad in the vein of The Passengers, The First Time, and Running To Stand Still.

07. Love And Peace Or Else; side B opens with the huge bass drone of Brian Eno and then kicks things into gear.

08. Fast Cars; following the stomping blues of Love And Peace comes the fast paced acoustic guitar little rocker.

09. All Because Of You; after the acoustic rocker with the riff comes the electric rocker with the riff.

10. Miracle Drug; Beautiful Day part two is the perfect bridge between U2 rocking and U2 being classic U2.

11. Original Of The Species; this song doesn't make any sense when it's not near the end -- putting this song anywhere else takes away from the urgency of impending end in Bono's vocals.

12. Yahweh; song leaves listener happy with a bright outlook on life, a perfect end.

COBL_04 said:
There was a thread on this in Where The Album Has A Name, but I'll have a stab at it this time.

1. Vertigo
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman
7. All Because Of You
10. One Step Closer
11. Yahweh

Awesome sequence! I just tried it out and it totally works. :up:

I guess there's more than one way to skin an cat... :wink:

the tourist said:
01. City Of Blinding Lights; the epic buildup of this song would have been a marvelous companion of such epic buildups as Streets and Zooropa.

02. Vertigo; after the huge sweeping buildup comes the radio friendly hit single to grab the attention of the casual listener and make them want more.

03. Crumbs From Your Table; after the fast paced radio friendly hit single must come a song only U2 could have made, and a midtempo song fits nicely after a rocker.

04. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own; keeping in progressively slowing down, this song bring the album to the slowest point it's been and then picks it back up again by the end of the song.

05. A Man And A Woman; keep the beautiful vocals ringing on with the Adult Top 40 hit (if it ever became a single).

06. One Step Closer; side A ends with a peaceful ballad in the vein of The Passengers, The First Time, and Running To Stand Still.

07. Love And Peace Or Else; side B opens with the huge bass drone of Brian Eno and then kicks things into gear.

08. Fast Cars; following the stomping blues of Love And Peace comes the fast paced acoustic guitar little rocker.

09. All Because Of You; after the acoustic rocker with the riff comes the electric rocker with the riff.

10. Miracle Drug; Beautiful Day part two is the perfect bridge between U2 rocking and U2 being classic U2.

11. Original Of The Species; this song doesn't make any sense when it's not near the end -- putting this song anywhere else takes away from the urgency of impending end in Bono's vocals.

12. Yahweh; song leaves listener happy with a bright outlook on life, a perfect end.

Wow, also really good! :up:

I especially like that you mention Side A and B. That's always how I view an album, even if CDs technically don't have "sides"... :shh: :wink:

MarcusOneTree said:

Awesome sequence! I just tried it out and it totally works. :up:

I guess there's more than one way to skin an cat... :wink:

Hey, thanks a lot!! It's so good to get an unexpected compliment. I think the main theme with my tracklisting is Quick to slow to quick. Yahweh couldn't be anywhere else though.

200 posts and THE FLY status! :hyper: :rockon:

Last edited:
COBL_04 said:

Hey, thanks a lot!! It's so good to get an unexpected compliment. I think the main theme with my tracklisting is Quick to slow to quick. Yahweh couldn't be anywhere else though.

You're very welcome! :wink:

While I understand why Yahweh is the album closer---"Fear to Faith"---I find One Step Closer works well, too, because it's the slowest song on the album and is very introspective. That being said I think that this would work very well indeed:

10. One Step Closer
11. Yahweh

:cool:

Love and Peace or Else
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
A Man And A Woman
Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species
One Step Closer
Mercy

Here's my favorite tracklist. I really don't like Yahweh, so I replaced it with Mercy (if Mercy was refined and mixed properly). That's just my preference...

I have one that includes bsides and other tracks, but it's my favorite that ive made

1// Love and Peace or Else
2// Native Son
3// Crumbs from Your Table
4// Mercy
5// Miracle Drug
6// Sometimes You Can't Make it...
7// One Step Closer
8// Neon Lights
9// City of Blinding Lights
10// All Because of You (Alt Version)
11// Xanax and Wine
12// Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
13// A Man and a Woman
14// Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
15// Smile
16// Original of the Species
17// Yahweh (Alt Version)
18// Vertigo

Made to fill an 80-min CD, and yes I know U2 don't put covers on albums not named Rattle and Hum

COBL_04 said:

1. Vertigo
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman
7. All Because Of You
10. One Step Closer
11. Yahweh

I have a pretty similar one. The main difference is I tried to stick Fast Cars in there and needed to move Original of the Species.

1. Vertigo
4. Miracle Drug
5. A Man And A Woman
6. Fast Cars
7. All Because Of You
9. Original of the Species
10. City Of BLinding Lights
11. One Step Closer
12. Yahweh

I like Vertigo at the start, although it's the only track like it on the album but it kicks things off really nicely. We in the UK have Fast Cars on the album anyway so that's our last track.

Vertigo
All because of you (the energetic one-two start)

City of blinding lights (transition to slower songs)
Original of the species (this song needs to be higher on the tracklist, same goes for All because of you)
Sometimes (centerpiece of the album)
One step closer (follows nicely with the same theme)

Miracle drug (back to more guitar-y songs)
Crumbs
Love and peace or else (the usual "back of the album" rocker)
Yahweh

I can't fit A man and a woman.

Love And Peace Or Else
All Because Of You
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Smile
City Of Blinding Lights

Native Son
Fast Cars
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species
One Step Closer

the tourist said:

I like that a lot, I may have to try that. I especially love the idea of One Step Closer--->Love and Peace or Else, and having Miracle Drug toward the end.

The playlist I've been using:

1//Love and Peace or Else
2//Vertigo
3//City of Blinding Lights
4//Miracle Drug
5//A Man and a Woman
6//Xanax and Wine
7//Crumbs From Your Table
8//Smile
9//Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (alternate version)
10//One Step Closer
11/All Because of You (alternate version)
12//Original of the Species
13//Yahweh (alternate version)
14//Mercy

part of the idea was that I didn't want any of the tracks to be in the order they usually were...unfortunatley I couldn't avoid this with Original/Yahweh, but I don't think it sounds bad, and like someone else said it doesn't make sense for Original to be anywhere except toward the end.

I took some of the ideas from the live shows, like opening with LAPOE and then Vertigo, and putting Miracle Drug and COBL next to each other.

I like this tracklisting a lot myself, and as you can tell I am of the belief that the alternate versions were for the most part better (I'm on the fence about Sometimes though, I just put the alternate because I haven't heard it as much and I think it goes better with Smile)...except for Native Son. It's interesting but it just doesn't have the energy of Vertigo.

But this tracklisting would work fine with the album versions, too.

the tourist said:

Great tracklists everyone overall.

I can definitely see City of Blinding Lights opening up the album for the exact reasons that you stated. Also Love and Peace or Else would be another good one, but I also like Vertigo opening up the album. It's just that classic sound of Larry's drumsticks beating against each other that lets me know, yes, the current CD in slot #1 of your car's player is HTDAAB, haha.

Yahweh should of course be last, great closer I think for the album. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and Miracle Drug should be next to each other I think, I actually like the way it works out.

1: Crumbs From Your Table
2: Original Of The Species
3: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4: Love & Peace Or Else
5: A Man And A Woman
6: City Of Blinding Lights (radio edit without long into)
7: Miracle Drug
8: One Step Closer
9: All Because Of You
10: Vertigo
11: Yahweh

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
4. Love and Peace or Else
5. Flower Child
6. All Because of You
7. A Man and a Woman
8. Mercy
9. City of Blinding Lights
10. Original of the Species
11. Yaweh
12. Fast Cars

notes:

1-- Vertigo has to start off. The 4-clicks in don't fit anywhere else, and it's a great opener

5-- how did Flower Child miss a spot on the last 2 albums?!

7 to 8 -- AMaaW and Mercy are perfect when paired together

9- City of Blinding Lights right after Mercy is sooo good!

10 to 12 -- just like the orignial album

The Black:
1. Native Son
2. All Because of You (alt)
3. Smile
4. Xanax and Wine
5. Flower Child
6. A Man and A Woman
7. Love You Like Mad
8. Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
9. Crumbs From Your Table
10. Yahweh (alt)

The Red:
1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Electrical Storm
4. Miracle Drug
5. Levitate
6. One Step Closer
7. Love and Peace or Else
8. Neon Lights
9. Original of the Species
10. Mercy

The red and the black... nice! I like the 1-2 punch of Native Son and ABOY (alt). And COBL as opener is great! But I have to say that I haven't warmed up to Smile at all. I don't see anything special in this song to warrant inclusion as a B-side, let alone on the album.

I love Smile, great melody. But you can tell they left it alone after a while. It is incomplete, the lyrics are meandering, but it's a cool addition if you like to make compliations like this.

I didn't spend much time on the "flow". I don't get the whole idea of scrutinizing track placement when the real problem was track selection. I just put them where it seemed nice enough.

I think this is my favorite one I've ever come up with...

"The Universe Decoded"

Side A
1.City Of Blinding Lights(Single Version)
2.Native Son
3.Love You Like Mad
4.All Because Of You(Alt.)
5.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own(Video Version with Acapella vocal at the beginning)
6.Smile

Side B
7.Love And Peace Or Else
8.Fast Cars
9.A Man And A Woman
10.Original Of The Species
11.Crumbs From Your Table
12.One Step Closer

N1: I just don't care enough for MD or Yahweh to include them.
N2: I think Native Son is superior to Vertigo.
N3: OSC is the ideal closer here.
N4: I used the edit of COBL because it reminds me of the live versions. I also feel like it's actually mixed just very slightly different to the album version...maybe that's just me though.
N5: The dynamic change of Smile->LAPOE is great.
N6: I used the acapella-start version of Sometimes because I think it has a rather strong effect on the song.

StlElevation said:
you axed one step closer in favor of flower child? :eyebrow:

yes. . . i really think flower child is better. it's too bad that the tracklist is missing Crumbs, but i think that Flower Child / Mercy are better songs

*BUMP*

Am REALLY enjoying this tracklist - not to toot my own horn, but this is the best way of listening to Bomb I've experienced thus far. Here it is again...it works just as well with the normal version of Sometimes, btw.

"The Universe Decoded"

Side A
1.City Of Blinding Lights(Single Version)
2.Native Son
3.Love You Like Mad
4.All Because Of You(Alt.)
5.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
6.Smile

Side B
7.Love And Peace Or Else
8.Fast Cars
9.A Man And A Woman
10.Original Of The Species
11.Crumbs From Your Table
12.One Step Closer