htdaab track rating.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rjhbonovox said:

But Zoo Station is magnificent, probably the best opening to an album EVER, it has one of the best intros ever as well

Agree on this one, but I read another post where you only mention ABOY as having a nice/good intro on the new album... Can´t agree here. Don´t get me wrong, I think ABOY´s intro is really good, but if you talk about AB intro´s (like you do a lot), then you forget to mention ´One step closer´ and ´Yahweh´.
90´s sound all over the place.

whasjoewahn said:

Agree on this one, but I read another post where you only mention ABOY as having a nice/good intro on the new album... Can´t agree here. Don´t get me wrong, I think ABOY´s intro is really good, but if you talk about AB intro´s (like you do a lot), then you forget to mention ´One step closer´ and ´Yahweh´.
90´s sound all over the place.

Yeah but there not on par with the intros of AB. God damn nearly EVERY track on that album has a fantastic intro. The only ones that don't really stand out are maybe Tryin to throw and So cruel but thats made up by them being damn great songs.

Axver said:

You think everything's bland compared to the nineties. If HTDAAB had been released in 1987 and The Joshua Tree released this year, you'd whinge that JT is bland.

By the way The 80's rhythm is 10 times better than it is now. Larry's drumming has gone downhill in style. If you listen to the drumming on with or without you its not a normal sounding drum pattern it is different from everybody else. It stands out. Also A sort Of Homecoming, listen to that fuc#er as well. Just 2 examples from the 80's. So this is not just about the 90's being better. I once read that Larry loves working with Daniel Lanois cos he pushes his drumming and gets the best out of him, whereas Steve Lilywhite doesn't take as much interest. But there is no doubt the bass and drum rhythms have got more basic on the past 2 albums and that is a big contributing factor that the albums are not as spectacular as past works. If its down to the fact that Larry suffers too much with his back then so be it, but nobody is gonna tell me that the rhythm section don't sound different now, and not in a good way either.

IMHO -

A) Larry is a great drummer

B) 1980s & 1990's Larry is more unique and plays a more prominant role in the song structure than the 2000s (ATYCLB/HTDAAB)

C) Larry might be doing some great things on HTDAAB, but I can't hear him - Larry should have been turned up in the mix

Oh dear something bad happened today. In the car, forgot my cd player and reached for U2's new album on tape and pressed play. ABOY came on and I had to turn it off, I was fed up with it. Reached for Pop tape and played Gone and was revitalised again. Not a good sign for how my rating for the new stuff will go over the next few months. Here's hoping the single releases will re-invigorate my desire to listen to the new stuff.:(

Back
Top Bottom