HTDAAB Re-evaluation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
Ok so, I know we've run this into the ground, but I want to see how people feel again.

Recently I have really come to regard HTDAAB as their 3rd masterpiece. I think the Grammy was well deserved. While it is tighter, more perfectly constructed songs than ever before, I think they are genuine. ATYCLB was trying to too hard.

Another sign was that I didn't like HTDAAB at ALL when I first heard it. I thought it was contrived and not "new" enough. And the iPod thing did sour me. I still don't listen to Vertigo.

But as far as having a nice solid track list, and really act as a landmark for WHERE THE BAND IS AT now, I think it kicks ass. The other two masterpieces did the same thing. It's so funny in general, the new songs on tour fit them the better than any of the others, because they are clearly so right for them at the moment.

Discuss.

I'm not sure it's worth according the title of "third masterpiece", but that comes from somebody who doesn't regard Joshua Tree as either the #1 or #2 album put out by this band.

Bomb has some good and a couple of great songs on it. City of Blinding Lights is probably one of the best songs they've ever done, and the more I listen to it the more I think it's U2 telling Coldplay "fuck off, we can do you better than YOU can" (and they do). Love and Peace or Else is fantastic, especially the opening minute or two.

The rest of it, there are some good songs, but not really great -- Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own, Original of the Species, and MAYBE Crumbs From Your Table. The rest of it is pretty much blah (except when All Because of You is played live directly after Vertigo -- then, it rocks).

I wouldn't call it a third masterpiece (I think War comes closest to that), I rank it at no.4.

I think it's consistent, more than any other post AB U2 album. What I missed this time (and other post AB albums) was the focus, concentration that their best work has (JT, AB, War).

What I've found is that as time goes on, I begin to see the unifying vision behind it that "non-masterpieces" seem to lack. Like, Pop and ATYCLB have the same feel--individual songs are good (most of them in fact), but they aren't held together by a common... intention or muse.

I don't know where I place it really. :huh: It's definitely in the top 5. I think the song selection is incredible. Lots of just... tunes to listen to. It may not be themed or anything, but i think somehow it ends up with the theme of just great songs. Nothing too terrible in the lyrics. Bono's voice is sounding great. Edge's guitar is still ringing. It's definitely a top 5 of their albums, to me (obviously after JT, then AB, but tied for 3rd with Zooropa and October). I would almost put it as their 3rd masterpiece. I'll have to wait and see when the next record comes out how i feel about the old one.

I agree that the Bomb is certainly a good indicator of where the band is now. I'd place it as probably third or fourth on my list of favorite albums. It doesn't exactly hit me as being a masterpiece in its entirety, but there are certainly individual masterpieces on it: COBL, SYCMIOYO, etc. and it's a great collection of tunes, thematically linked or not. I also happen to like the tracklisting, although it may be a bit odd; it still flows a lot better than ATYCLB's! It still ranks below AB and JT for me, though, and probably ties with ATYCLB, which I am horribly sentimental about:heart:

And if HTDAAB is an indicator of where U2 is, I can only hope that Fast Cars is an indicator of where they are going!:drool: :wink:

I actually see quite a strong theme with this album.

Just the equation of personal and social issues being parralled and dealing with these issues are difficult no matter how big. Personal and global issues alike.

Vertigo represents the uneasy global climate we live in where you never know what could happen. 9/11 hits one day and the world is uneasy about their neighbours and everything.

I think Bono equates this with the 'dizziness' he felt from losing his father. An uneasyness, like the balances of life had been tipped, losing a loved one is tramatic and puts you off balance for a while.

Miracle Drug is the personal story of a boy and his mother, and their struggle to communicate with eachother, and the love that helped this impaired boy become a poet and and individual.

On the other hand, I think this song addresses the plight in Africa, we need to show our love and put our faith in Africa. We need to give them a miracle drug. Whether it is love or antibiotics, preferably both. Africa is strugglin to survive, but do we hear them when they call?

Sometimes... Obviously a personal song for Bono. About a difficult personal relationship.

Perhaps also a call to nations, feuding nations (US, and Iraq, for example), who fight with one another. Bono asks them to realize, "okay, we don't always get along, but sometimes you can't make it on your own." We, as a global community should help eachother, put our differences in the past and move foreward to make it through the difficulties that life throws at us.

Love and Peace or Else A political stomp that calls us to put down our guns.

But also, I think it is a personal message, Bono's anger with or at his Father, not necessarily mad at him, just mad that they had the relationship they had. And now he's demanding love and peace...or else.

City of Bliding lights More a personal reflection, a loss of innocents that is brought on by personal experiences or global catastrophies like 9/11, the Tsunami, of Huricane Katrina.

All Because of you A nod to God, or a parent, or the who! lol! Thanking someone you feel is responsible for the person you have become.

A Man and A woman Again, more personal as the album shifts to a more intimate introspection. From fear to faith, as Bono described it...from vertigo to yahweh

Crumb from your table politics hit home and get personal as Bono reflects on some of his more personal experiences in Africa.

One step closer Again, personal focused on as a result of the political awareness by the A side of this album. Bono said something to the effect of, "when something like 9/11 happens, you expect to record a political album, but instead his focus was on family, relationships, the things you take for granted, the things you gravitate toward in times of confusion and fear."

Origional of the Species with the previous said about One Step CLoser, Bono takes a moment to revel in the innocence and beauty that is being a child. Also addressed in songs like City of Blinding lights, and All because of you. A concern for innocence, and perhaps it is times of political turmoil that makes people consider their innocence, or loose their innocence. What do todays children think about 9/11, Africa, etc... it makes one envious of the innocence they posses, and makes one want to protect their innocence, because one it is gone, it is gone.

Yahweh Finally, a prayer for both the personal and political issues addressed throughout the album. A glimmer of hope that shines through the pains of life that we have to endure on a personal or global scale. Closure, as well as hope is offered in the sparkling song, providing imagery of a better place, if we have faith.

I find HTDAAB to be a great collection of songs. Vertigo, Sometimes, COBL, One Step Closer, Original, and Yahweh are all good or great songs. Also, LAPOE is a cheesy but fun romp and even MD and AMAAW have their redeeming features.

It's not a great album, however. With the exception of One Step, Original, and Yahweh sequence, there's not really any coherence or payoffs.

I think of HTDAAB as a Chinese Buffet of a U2 album. It's not superb, it's not horrible, and you're sure to find something and plenty of it that you like. By the end of the album, I feel musically 'full', especially with the OOTS melancholy-turning-into-joy capped off by Yahweh.

I have found that it often takes me years to come to grips with a new offering from U2, whether it be good or bad. My perspective is the following:

- Bomb is not as good as AB or JT, but then again what is? I would place both of those albums in my top 10 albums of all time by any artist.

- Bomb is better than ATYCLB which I regard as "half an album". Unlike JT and AB, I find myself skipping most of the bottom half of ATYCLB with the notable exception of 'New York'. My initial impression of Bomb was that it was going tobe the same way. However, unlike with ATYCLB, over time I;ve come to love several of the bottom half songs on Bomb. I now can listen to the entire disc. The only two other U2 albums I listen to fully all the time are JT and AB. That's also why I don't consider, and never will consider 'War' as a "masterpiece" album from U2. Side 1 yes, side 2 no.

- Bomb has no great songs. That is what keeps it below the elite status of AB and JT. However, in my opinion Bomb has 9 good to very good songs. I also see Bomb as the logical conclusion to what U2 was trying to do on ATYCLB. U2 pursued an idea with ATYCLB and perfected it on Bomb.

In summary, I believe Rolling Stone jumped the gun when they said ATYCLB was U2's third masterpiece. Bomb is better.. it is the real third masterpiece from U2.

the socalled bomb is just another mediocre pop album.
in U2 standards its underachieving. its nor fish nor is it flesh. imo its boring :down:

Nowhere near as good as 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' but no matter how much I moan about it I still think it's a great listen, lots of nostalgia in there already too! :ohmy:

Much better than ATYCLB, very impressive after a 25 years career.... so many good songs, not 1 that I skip (maybe One step closer...) not tired of listening to it.

I defenitely put this album in the top 5 with (AB, JT, Boy, War)

Can't wait for the next one....:wink:

jacobus said:
the socalled bomb is just another mediocre pop album.
in U2 standards its underachieving. its nor fish nor is it flesh. imo its boring :down:
how did it "underachive"?, did it not win best album and best rock album at the grammys? did it top the charts in over 30 countrys? it also spun 2 number 2 singles in the UK, the first time that has EVER happend, outsold atyclb in the UK also, and still even in today market sold more than 10m copys worldwide, but yet it underachived?

@KUEFC09U2:
how did it "underachive"?...
i mean underachiving in my understanding of music quality....
for me it has nothing to do with the numbers of sales. the socalled bomb just had a very good marketing campaign. and for the grammies...they are for the water-closet. all these award ceremonies are so boring.
:combust:
imo U2 just don't have the balls for great challenging rockers anymore. after the great ab, zooropa & pop albums they turned into the mainstream. and i know my opinion on the last 2 albums has a lot to do with expectations. in someway mr. boner said prior to the releases that theay are doing the heavy monster stuff aka punk rock from venus...but hey where was the punk and where is the rock??? its just ordinary pop.
next time mr. boner shouldn't talk too much.

KUEFC09U2 said:
how did it "underachive"?, did it not win best album and best rock album at the grammys? did it top the charts in over 30 countrys? it also spun 2 number 2 singles in the UK, the first time that has EVER happend, outsold atyclb in the UK also, and still even in today market sold more than 10m copys worldwide, but yet it underachived?

Interestingly, Bomb had a much bigger competition for Album of the year in Kanye West than anything up against ATYCLB, which sold even more copies, and has had more airplay on radio/MTV from what I've seen. I think that says something about the album.

I think old quotes (a la punk rock on Venus) prior changing the producer and album direction don't really mean anything. It's getting old to bring that up over and over again.

I have always thought that How to dismantle an atomic bomb was one of their best albums, I liked it since the first days it came out and I still like it more. I think that tracks like Sometimes, Blinding Lights, Love Peace, Miracle Drug, Original can already be considered as classics. These are tracks that will be remembered as great tunes over the years. It is a great album, full of emotion, guitars and will to make good music. The incredible tour showed it, they played the best they can. This record was the right step that has consacrated them finally as the best band in their genre

One of the reasons I first dismissed it was that it seemed like pop. But u2 has ALWAYS strived for the popular--nice hooks, catchy music, etc.

What gets me about HTDAAB isn't so much that its new territory (some songs are), but rather they have perfected their art and gotten down to the true core of U2. It is U2 does U2, but they have found the ESSENCE of what that is!

ATYCLB postulated that U2 is love. That's true, but its much more. Here, they DISCOVERED it, and NAILED it.

Dr. Lemonseed said:
One of the reasons I first dismissed it was that it seemed like pop. But u2 has ALWAYS strived for the popular--nice hooks, catchy music, etc.

What gets me about HTDAAB isn't so much that its new territory (some songs are), but rather they have perfected their art and gotten down to the true core of U2. It is U2 does U2, but they have found the ESSENCE of what that is!

ATYCLB postulated that U2 is love. That's true, but its much more. Here, they DISCOVERED it, and NAILED it.

U2 does U2. That's where the problem lies. They refused to evolve.

Holy Shit again a bashing bomb thread , shame on u. It's just incredible how that Larry quote works now again :

"For the ones so-called u2 fans " that bash the new albums "I've only got 2 words for you......"

Last edited:
ozeeko said:
They refused to evolve.

Big fucking deal.

Yes, the best bands push themselves into new territory, but they also have no problem being comfortable in their own skin.

Songs are songs.

Doesn't anyone think that maybe U2 "does" U2 because... THEY'RE U2? :huh:

Makes alot of sense to me that a band who finds their perfect sound and style would continue to use it. :shrug:

On Topic: Bomb :up:

I would say they've always done U2, but they never knew what that meant UNTIL NOW. The finally hit it.

I understand why Bono says "this is the record we always wanted to make"

Dr. Lemonseed said:
I would say they've always done U2, but they never knew what that meant UNTIL NOW. The finally hit it.

I understand why Bono says "this is the record we always wanted to make"

Okay, so ure saying all their previous albums, all the "socalled" masterpieces...War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, the experimental albums, all of these were merely rough drafts leading up to HTDAAB? Was Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky precursors to Love and Peace or Else? Were The Fly and Mofo precursors to Vertigo? No. Maybe Elevation was. Were With or Without You and One rough steps along the way which finally paid off as Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, or A Man And A Woman? Was Bad the foreshadowing of Miracle Drug? Actually, WOWY was, since Drug stole the bass foundation from it. Love Is Blindness, Wake up dead man, 40, Mothers of the Disappeared...these were just horseplay before Yahweh came in and showed us how closing an album is really done? Where the Streets have no Name...City of Blinding Lights? "I want to run I want to hide. I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside" VS "Oh you look so beautiful tonight." That's all I gotta say. Fucking bullshit my friend. When I read a Bono quote as insulting as "this is the record we always wanted to make" it causes me to throw up in my mouth. So this is the real U2? Then I want the impostors back. Maybe U2 were better when they weren't so comfortable being U2. Cuz now Bono is so pleased with himself, he can just sing about any mundane detail of his life, he can tell us he "likes the sound of his own voice" and that he's an "intellectual tortoise" and we're just supposed to be so fascinated. Complete crap.

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

I'm talking about the music my friend. Not myself. But enjoy your witty victory.

And I was talking about your posts.

You found one album you hate and now you're stating "they REFUSED to evolve"?

You've spent how many posts stating Bomb sucks, how have you evolved?

doubleU said:

And I was talking about your posts.

You found one album you hate and now you're stating "they REFUSED to evolve"?

You've spent how many posts stating Bomb sucks, how have you evolved?

Yes, I was relating to one particular album where they didn't evolve.

How many posts? I dunno..count them.

Everytime I post something negative about this album you somehow show up. So how have you evolved in that respect?

Do you still like the album? Do I still dislike the album? Have either of us evolved?

Am I any different than someone going "oh my God COBL is the greatest song ever" for the 50th time? Oh but maybe you like that song so the evolution theory doesn't apply there.

Back
Top Bottom