HTDAAB - Overhype / Under-Deliver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BWU2Buffs

War Child
I could not find a general 'new album' forum, so I'll try this one.

Many friends of mine are underwhelmed with the new album. I would call them casual fans, interested, buy the occasional album, not overboard. Most would call me beyond casual, perhaps very far beyond overboard.

Regardless, my theory is that through the various PR / marketing efforts (iPod Vertigo ads / "stolen" copy in France) this album was overhyped and did not deliver fully. And, I confess, my first reaction was, 'this is it?" --- yes, it has grown on me, but it has not entered my top 3, and in fact I hit skip quite a bit on this CD.

After many months apart, I caught up with one friend today who suggested, that he was so pumped after seeing the iPod ads and then pretty disappointed when he got the disc for Christmas.

In contrast, ATYCLB seemed void of marketing and pr glitz, but to this day, I rarely skip songs. Not many pre-album "promises", but definitely delivered the goods.

Did the band and managment fall prey to a marketing 101 error, deliver what you promise? Was their too much hype? Did this album ever have a chance to meet expectations? Do other casual fans have similar reactions? What was your reaction?

OK, nuff questions -- it's a marketing, I mean musical journey (-:

"Don't beLIEve the hype" in the first place.

I take all U2 albums at face value, and I felt HTDAAB delivered very well musically speaking, thanks.

Other then the Ipod ad I think ATYCLB got a lot more advertising overall at least up to this point and I feel Bomb is definatly the better record of the two. I think it will really come alive live which is where U2 has made themselves famous.

(You'll quickly find this thread moved to "Where The Album Has A Name" which is the forum for the new album.)

Anyway, I think the general reaction that your friends experienced is pretty understandable.

HTDAAB has only one true radio-friendly, catchy tune and that is Vertigo. So those who hear Vertigo and like it will buy the album and be disappointed because they wanted 10 more Vertigos and they get 10 songs that are very different.

ATYCLB didn't have the hype of HTDAAB because U2 had a huge hole that they had to dig themselves out of that resulted from the reaction to Pop/Popmart. (Please don't turn this thread into another Pop debate - I liked the album a lot, but the facts are that it was poorly received and hurt U2's career.) ATYCLB had to build a reputation for itself. And it did an amazing job - it will always be known as U2's true "comeback" album.

HTDAAB came off on the heels of ATYCLB and was heavily hyped and had a lot to live up to. Vertigo was a great choice for a single, but a poor choice to represent the album. I too, on first listen to HTDAAB went "that's it?" and didn't take a second listen for days.

But now, months later, I love HTDAAB. It's still way too early to call it their #2 or #4 or whatever album of all time, but it is clear that it is a grower that takes time. Unfortunately in today's music world, most listeners don't have this kind of patience - they want catchy tunes that they hum all day and are sick of 6 weeks later. HTDAAB has really only one of those songs and that is Vertigo.

Whether or not anyone wants to remember this, most folks felt the same way with AB when it came out, except AB was in a worse position because the first single "The Fly" was not a commercial success on the radio (in the US). AB grew on basically everyone who gave it time. Most now look back on AB and call it U2's best or 2nd best album ever. But that's because it grew on us. I remember it clearly: most people on first listen to AB also said "that's it?" or even more commonly "it's too wierd".

I truly believe we will do the same with HTDAAB in 10 years. OK, we may not call it the "third masterpiece" but it will be much more favorably looked upon by the general public than it is now.

Did it have too much hype? Probably. When something is hyped that much it often is a let down because people are expecting something that couldn't possibly exist - they've built it up in their minds to a point that is unrealistic.

Still, that doesn't mean it can't recover from this. And I do believe HTDAAB will.

I will agree that this album was 'over-hyped' in that it led many to believe it was something different than what it is only because "vertigo" was thought to be the tone setting song for the entire album, which it obviously isn't.

The thing about U2 albums is this: It takes a bit of time for the genius to show through.

Many will understand exactly what I'm saying here. Most U2 songs are not catchy little tunes that you pick up quickly (especially for non or newer fans), hum in your mind for a few weeks and then move onto something else, they require a bit of listening "work" to be truly appreciated and they stick with you for the long haul, which I think is what makes this band special.

I think this is easily their best release since "Achtung Baby", which I hated upon first listening (and 2nd and 3rd...) but I now regard it as a true classic and significant mark in the history of music.

U2 albums just need time, and I think people either 'get it' or they don't...

Last edited:
BWU2Buffs said:
ATYCLB, to this day, I rarely skip songs.

:ohmy: You poor soul... there's no hope for you anymore...

...I treat ATYCLB as just another BD single... with Kite and Walk On as b-sides
--------

For me, HTDAAB delivered everything that was promissed... (except the "punk, Venus" part :p)

No, it's that they're not spending enough time with the album. It's all here. Everything you'd ever want on a U2 album is right here.

I'm listening to "Yahweh" as I type.

U2 albums really take time to blossom. This one's a beaut.

Problem is, most people want their music handed to them on a silver platter.

The great bands however, know how to craft albums that reveal themselves upon repeated listenings.

Lots of hype before the album..... and rightly so.... U2 need to compete with the likes of Eminem

Under deliver? most definetely not..... with HTDAAB, U2 were able to build on the stunning sucess of All that you can't leave behind and have cemented their reputation as the biggest act in rock today!

It's a grower and as far as I'm concerned it is in their top 3 albums. After a while, an album that doesn't slip up in the second half.

xana dew said:
No, it's that they're not spending enough time with the album. It's all here. Everything you'd ever want on a U2 album is right here.

I'm listening to "Yahweh" as I type.

U2 albums really take time to blossom. This one's a beaut.

Problem is, most people want their music handed to them on a silver platter.

The great bands however, know how to craft albums that reveal themselves upon repeated listenings.

:up: Great post.

Only skip Vertigo, as it's constantly on the radion here at the moment. Same with Beautiful Day last time...
Give it a few months and i'll be able to listen to it in full again!:wink:

BWU2Buffs said:
I could not find a general 'new album' forum, so I'll try this one.

Many friends of mine are underwhelmed with the new album. I would call them casual fans, interested, buy the occasional album, not overboard. Most would call me beyond casual, perhaps very far beyond overboard.

Regardless, my theory is that through the various PR / marketing efforts (iPod Vertigo ads / "stolen" copy in France) this album was overhyped and did not deliver fully. And, I confess, my first reaction was, 'this is it?" --- yes, it has grown on me, but it has not entered my top 3, and in fact I hit skip quite a bit on this CD.

After many months apart, I caught up with one friend today who suggested, that he was so pumped after seeing the iPod ads and then pretty disappointed when he got the disc for Christmas.
(-:

How dare you come here and critisise the album. Even though I agree with you, a lot of people on this forum will swear its the best album they have ever heard!:wink:

I wouldn't call HTDAAB a failure or overhyped just yet. The tour hasn't even started and the album has sold very well. U2 are in a totally different music market than they were so many years ago. There not going to have a JT type media blitz, but you'll hear alot of them when the tour kicks off and they come knocking in different cities. If the album sells 3-5 million copies in the US I'll call that a huge success for a band like U2. The crap US music fans are spoon fed is such a shame. If Eminem produced a rapping monkey it would sell 10 million copies.

stagman said:
HTDAAB is not the disappointment that you are eluding too!
Only 1 radio friendly song....what utter crap!!!!

I never called the album a disappointment. I love it.

But truly, there is only one radio-friendly sing-along song: Vertigo.

No other song from this album will have the commercial success of Vertigo.

I thought the amount of hype/media blitz was the right amount for the world (I could always use more U2 in the news though:wink: ). I think the album did deliver the goods. I love it. I have friends who are U2 fans, but not nearly as serious as me and they all seem a bit disappointed. I think every casual fan wants JT and AB - But the chances of a new album that has the impact of AB/JT is rather slim. Those 2 albums hit the nail on the head, had the pulse of the listeners and sucked them in. It's tougher to do that in today's music world.

Many of you here know my opinion of the album so I won't repeat myself.
For the hype, I think it's logical that every nex album gets more hype than the previous one. Although I'd like that sometime in the future U2 delivers us a masterpiece without saying it's better than it will be few year before it gets out... (cause an album is what an album is, no hype or commercials can make an album better, it can be only worse)

It seems clear that there are a lot of people who loved ATYCLB and are dissapointed by the new Album. I can barely listen to most of ATYCLB and I LOVE HTDAAB. It is not perfect and it may or may not become a classic but in my mind and for my buck, its miles better than ATYCLB.

Vertigo is my least favorite song.
How can you not like an album with moments like these.

- guitars everywhere!
- solo through the end of MD
- climax of SYCMIOY
- solo at the end of LAPOE
- COBL not my favoritre but a very strong track
- ABOY not the best lyrically but the edge delivers the goods.
- AMAAW I just love the groove of this song. its different and different is good when it come to U2.
- CFYT has a brilliant churus and dramatic ending.
- OSC is just beyong beautiful, simple.
- OOTS weak but again the guitar redeams it.
- Yahweh; "this love is like a drop in the ocean"

so much good stuff!
ATYCLB by comparison is full of trite fluff that really has little impact on me. The songs on ATYCLB are good (except 2 or 3 which are terrible) but the production kills them.

And I guess that is all I have to say.

Last edited:
It didn't meet my expectations, but not in the quality sense. I think it's one of their top four best albums. But, i was expecting an album far different from the one that came out...all that talk about "punk rock from Venus" and "it's a rock record" starting 16 months prior to the release of the album...when Vertigo was released, i kind of assumed most of the album songs would be in the Vertigo category.

Thank God they weren't. The best thing about this album is the range of the music...all the songs are so different from each other (though they may not be that different from previous U2 songs).

I listen to the album every day. The only song i occassionally skip is AMAAW.

Hoodlem said:
so much good stuff!
ATYCLB by comparison is full of trite fluff that really has little impact on me. The songs on ATYCLB are good (except 2 or 3 which are terrible) but the production kills them.

And I guess that is all I have to say.

Interesting how that's the very same thing I could say for HTDAAB. :eyebrow:

Hoodlem said:

How can you not like an album with moments like these.

- guitars everywhere!
- solo through the end of MD
- climax of SYCMIOY
- solo at the end of LAPOE
- COBL not my favoritre but a very strong track
- ABOY not the best lyrically but the edge delivers the goods.
- AMAAW I just love the groove of this song. its different and different is good when it come to U2.
- CFYT has a brilliant churus and dramatic ending.
- OSC is just beyong beautiful, simple.
- OOTS weak but again the guitar redeams it.
- Yahweh; "this love is like a drop in the ocean"

You say how can you not like an album etc.....well......How can you think an album like this is a classic with songs like this -
A Man And A Woman - very ordinary
Crumbs From Your Table - bores the pants off me
COBL - pretty damn mediocre as well

Its all down too personal taste, whether or not the album will be the biggest selling album in U2's history doesn't matter in the slightest to me. It's certainly not up there with there best albums and the last 2 U2 albums have been pretty mediocre compared to there brilliant past works! What normally happens with big selling albums , they are not THAT good! Just look at Michael Jacksons crappy efforts or Dire Straits Brothers in arms.... a snoozefest if ever there was one but sold an amazing amount of records cos of the mass appeal of its boring music. Maybe HTDAAB is U2 in Dire Straits mode!
:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

What normally happens with big selling albums , they are not THAT good! Just look at Michael Jacksons crappy efforts or Dire Straits Brothers in arms.... a snoozefest if ever there was one but sold an amazing amount of records cos of the mass appeal of its boring music. Maybe HTDAAB is U2 in Dire Straits mode!
:wink:

So you don't rate AB then?

I am personally looking forward to an album like Passengers to be released under the U2 name so that it will get rid of the entire fanbase and just leave the hardcore fan behind.

The 1 star reviews on Amazon.com annoy me the bad press reviews annoy me, what are these people listening to that HTDAAB only deserves 1 star? What is the press judging this album against?

I am waiting for the day when U2 put a bunch of truely Irish songs on the album and kill some of the braindead fanbase that arent really fans in the first place.....these are always the people we meet at the concerts and they say "did they play with or without you yet?" and walk infront of you 30 times during the show so they can go outside and smoke some pot or a cigarette. I would be happy to get rid of them so they dont take up time wasting my breath and most importantly wasting a ticket that a real fan could have had.

Yahweh said:
I am personally looking forward to an album like Passengers to be released under the U2 name so that it will get rid of the entire fanbase and just leave the hardcore fan behind.

:yes: :up: :bow: :combust: :applaud: :dancing: :rockon: :hyper: :dance:

roy said:

So you don't rate AB then?

Achtung Baby is the GREATEST album ever made and sold around 11-12 million. This album looks like it may eclipse the Joshua Tree the way it is going, another great album by the way, but does that mean if HTDAAB is U2's biggest selling album ever that will make it their best? No it just means that the pop chart music loving public have bought it and it has mass appeal on the scale of a Slippery Wheh Wet etc!

rjhbonovox said:

Achtung Baby is the GREATEST album ever made and sold around 11-12 million. This album looks like it may eclipse the Joshua Tree the way it is going, another great album by the way, but does that mean if HTDAAB is U2's biggest selling album ever that will make it their best? No it just means that the pop chart music loving public have bought it and it has mass appeal on the scale of a Slippery Wheh Wet etc!

But HTDAAB is out of the top 30 in the USA and struggling in the UK.... :huh: :huh: Alas, you'll need to find new ways to moan about the new album.

roy said:

But HTDAAB is out of the top 30 in the USA and struggling in the UK....

...it's good to know the world has only two Countries... ahem... HTDAAB already sold more that ATYCLB in the so-called-rest-of-the-world... but it sold only half of ATYCLB's sales in U.S. and that's the reason to name it a failure or "struggling" in the charts... well, no comment!

bathiu said:

...it's good to know the world has only two Countries... ahem... HTDAAB already sold more that ATYCLB in the so-called-rest-of-the-world... but it sold only half of ATYCLB's sales in U.S. and that's the reason to name it a failure or "struggling" in the charts... well, no comment!
yes sold only half of what ATYCLB's total in just 4 months? so how the hell can you say its a failiure?

sorry just noticed what you was saying.... woops

Back
Top Bottom