HTDAAB...lame duck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danny Boy said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like COBL will chart at all, so that will make further comparison tough.

Yes yes, I do believe COBL will pull HTDAAB's single's position back a bit.

My comments were not meant to spark a comparison of chart positions of the singles. Charts can be brutally misleading after all.

Songs like Beautiful Day and Stuck were all over the place upon their release as singles. Post 9/11, Walk On and a re-energized Stuck flooded raido, t.v. spots, you name it. Beautiful Day would later be used as the official song of NBC's Olympics coverage in early 2002.

America connected with ATYCLB. If you want to say 9/11 was the primary reason behind that, you may have a point. HTDAAB got a good amount of hype upon its release, but more and more it's starting to look like Coldplay has passed them by as America's No. 1 rock recording artist.

Mac Phisto said:
My comments were not meant to spark a comparison of chart positions of the singles. Charts can be brutally misleading after all.

America connected with ATYCLB. If you want to say 9/11 was the primary reason behind that, you may have a point. HTDAAB got a good amount of hype upon its release, but more and more it's starting to look like Coldplay has passed them by as America's No. 1 rock recording artist.

Man, you place way too much emphasis on sales. You are however correct on one point, 9/11 did give ATYCLB longevity.

At least U2 have their own sound unlike Coldplay whose latest album sounds like U2, Radiohead, Kraftwork, REM, The Beatles etc, etc......

'America's No. 1 rock recording artist' what the f**k does that actually mean....do you even know?

the soul waits said:
Out of interest, which band is the top seller these days in the USA?

Green Day is the only rock band that has had massive success on the charts in the past year. Coldplay may be set to do the same in 2005. Basically, if you want to hit the US Top 10 singles, you have to be hip-hop. 50 Cent (and his related projects) recently had 4 singles in the top 10. Those are the times we live in here.

My 2 cents: HTDAAB is not a lame duck by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it's better than ATYCLB but nowhere near all the albums upto and including Pop. I won't say anything more cos this is a tired argument. :|

Mac Phisto said:
The new album, although critically hailed and armed with a smash first single, has seemingly dropped off the face of the planet, or at least the U.S.

Vertigo was a hit obviously, even if they had to work WAY too hard to earn it, All Because Of You was dead in the water from the second it was released, Sometimes You Can't got modest play at best. Video airplay is non-existent.

They're still a touring bohemoth, but it seems the days as a top recording artists are gone for good.

What in God's name are you talking about? How many other rock artists sold 3 million copies in the past couple years? Green Day is the only other one that comes to mind. And if you look over the Billboard 200, there are only a handful of non-rock acts that managed to sell more than that. Therefore, on what basis do you make your claim? They are a top-selling recording act...just not THE top-selling recording act.

,,,and at least make sure your info is complete...ABOY was a Mainstream rock and Modern Rock hit peaking at # 6. An album with one major hit and two minor hits is a strong effort in today's music climate...

Zootlesque said:
My 2 cents: HTDAAB is not a lame duck by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it's better than ATYCLB but nowhere near all the albums upto and including Pop. I won't say anything more cos this is a tired argument. :|

Amen

ATYCLB :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

i wouldn't call HTDAAB a lame duck. I think it is an excellent album, although it does like look like US sales will ultimately fall short of ATYCLB.
I think u2 got the singe strategy wrong for this album. Vertigo should have been followed by Miracle Drug, which could have done better in the US as compared to ABOY, which was a damp squid.

shaun vox said:
the album is getting what it deserves!!

I challenge you ...name a rock act...with the possible exception of Green Day...that has sold more albums in the last couple years...and all of the "up and comers" like the Killers who are considered successful acts are still well-short of U2's numbers.

Name me someone...

LeafsNation said:

I challenge you ...name a rock act...with the possible exception of Green Day...that has sold more albums in the last couple years...and all of the "up and comers" like the Killers who are considered successful acts are still well-short of U2's numbers.

Name me someone...

I don't know, The Killers have sold over 2 million and are still in the top 20. They could reach 3 million and pass U2. Also, just wait and see how much Coldplay sells this year. I am not positive, but I think it will outsell HTDAAB.

This argument is also going on in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills. Check it out.

bsp77 said:

I don't know, The Killers have sold over 2 million and are still in the top 20. They could reach 3 million and pass U2. Also, just wait and see how much Coldplay sells this year. I am not positive, but I think it will outsell HTDAAB.

This argument is also going on in Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills. Check it out.

I'm asking which rock acts have outsold U2 in the past few years thus far...not potential...not to mention that the original author's contention was that U2 was no longer a "top-selling act". Even if the Killers passed U2 (which is doubtful considering they're still at two million in shipments) and even if Coldplay outsells them (which would surprise me given they don't have nearly as large a core fan base), that would still leave U2 as "one" of the top-selling acts.

The orginal author makes it seem like with HTDAAB they've taken a nosedive of "Pop" proportions which couldn't be further from the truth.

Cheers

LeafsNation said:

I'm asking which rock acts have outsold U2 in the past few years thus far...not potential...not to mention that the original author's contention was that U2 was no longer a "top-selling act". Even if the Killers passed U2 (which is doubtful considering they're still at two million in shipments) and even if Coldplay outsells them (which would surprise me given they don't have nearly as large a core fan base), that would still leave U2 as "one" of the top-selling acts.

The orginal author makes it seem like with HTDAAB they've taken a nosedive of "Pop" proportions which couldn't be further from the truth.

Cheers

Well, yeah, Shaun Vox was just being an ass, but The Killers are currently selling at a much higher rate than U2 so they could bridge the gap if one more song takes off.

As for Coldplay, they sold 3.8 million with Rush of Blood, while U2 sold 4.2 million with ATYCLB. Pretty close. Now with HTDAAB only at 2.8 million and quickly free-falling, Coldplay could easily pass them this year if they have another single take off other than Speed of Sound. Fix You maybe? Talk maybe?

bsp77 said:

Well, yeah, Shaun Vox was just being an ass, but The Killers are currently selling at a much higher rate than U2 so they could bridge the gap if one more song takes off.

As for Coldplay, they sold 3.8 million with Rush of Blood, while U2 sold 4.2 million with ATYCLB. Pretty close. Now with HTDAAB only at 2.8 million and quickly free-falling, Coldplay could easily pass them this year if they have another single take off other than Speed of Sound. Fix You maybe? Talk maybe?

Good points. I love Coldplay, and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if they outsold HTDAAB...nevertheless that's no guarantee, as HTDAAB isn't done yet necessarily although it probably won't hit Top 20 again. There will be the return of the boys to the States and Canada in the Fall which will create some momentum...there are the Grammys (I don't think HTDAAB was up last time just Vertigo) which can create a buzz....and finally I know lots of U2 fans who like the older stuff, but always come around to completing their collection..just not with urgency. I aslo still have hope for MD and LAPOE which could renew interest in the album.

I guess as a conclusion HTDAAB has been a big success in the US, whereas worldwide (including here in Canada) it's been a monster success (I believe approaching 9 million worldwide).

Cheers

TheDaddy said:
Well at least U2 aren't R.E.M.

Around the Sun didn't even make it into the billboard top 10.

At least HTDAAB hit the top 10.

Oh God, most of us are not suggesting that. I think that around 3 million sold is great for a rock act in the US, especially for a band that has been around 25+ years, it is just flat out incredible.

Poor REM. I miss Bill Berry. :sad:

lameduck_200x200_white.jpg

This is just like Pop. The expectations, coming off a hit like ATYCLB, were high. Like Discotecque, Vertigo was catchy and a hit. But then Pop, which was coming off a huge hit in AB, flopped. Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please got no airplay. Same thing is happening to ABOY, Sometimes and COBL. And I'm afraid HTDAAB has been a bomb, no pun intended.
Yet both tours were big. Popmart was big and now the Vertigo Tour is big, but they both aren't generating a lot of buzz in the media.

TwoAmericas said:
This is just like Pop. The expectations, coming off a hit like ATYCLB, were high. Like Discotecque, Vertigo was catchy and a hit. But then Pop, which was coming off a huge hit in AB, flopped. Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth and Please got no airplay. Same thing is happening to ABOY, Sometimes and COBL. And I'm afraid HTDAAB has been a bomb, no pun intended.
Yet both tours were big. Popmart was big and now the Vertigo Tour is big, but they both aren't generating a lot of buzz in the media.

So much wrong with this.

1. Pop came off Zooropa.

2. Staring at the Sun WAS a hit. #1 Modern Rock, #2 Mainstream Rock, #13 Adult Top 40, #22 Mainstream Top 40 (higher than Discotheque and Vertigo)

3. HTDAAB has sold almost 3 million in the US, higher than almost any other rock band of the last couple years

Oh and Pop only sold 1.3 million its first year. No comparison.

Edit - 1000 posts! Woo-hoo!

Last edited:
TwoAmericas said:

If only U2 could write songs that could connect with the American single listener. I fear this is the one thing that's preventing them from ataining greatness. :(

TwoAmericas said:

A flop that is a multi-million seller? A flop scored them two Grammy's (and could get them more? What planet did you say you were from?

Back
Top Bottom