HTDAAB Has no staying power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickypiemcg

The Fly
When I first got the album I loved it. But gradually it hasn't been in my CD player until eventually now I can't really listen to it at all. It is probably U2's most commercial record and it shows in its transparency. I got into it much faster than any record but the price for that is that I am getting out of it fast! I still listen to all U2's other albums (well apart from ATYCLB) all the time but this record to me is just so shallow. Even in concert I only really got excited about 2 of the songs (vertigo just for the riff and COBL was good aswell). The whole album just feels too safe, overproduced (like VERY) and meant to appeal to the mass market. It doesn't feel natural because it feels like they are really trying to be commercial whereas before I always felt they were commercial just by coincidence. I hope the next album is something different.

nickypiemcg said:
When I first got the album I loved it. But gradually it hasn't been in my CD player until eventually now I can't really listen to it at all. It is probably U2's most commercial record and it shows in its transparency. I got into it much faster than any record but the price for that is that I am getting out of it fast! I still listen to all U2's other albums (well apart from ATYCLB) all the time but this record to me is just so shallow. Even in concert I only really got excited about 2 of the songs (vertigo just for the riff and COBL was good aswell). The whole album just feels too safe, overproduced (like VERY) and meant to appeal to the mass market. It doesn't feel natural because it feels like they are really trying to be commercial whereas before I always felt they were commercial just by coincidence. I hope the next album is something different.

I'd like to take you out for a couple of drinks. :flirt:

never mind, you're a boy. :reject: Just an 'amen, brother' and a high 5 should be good then! :reject:

:wink:

If this was even a month ago, I'd agree with the original post very much. I loved HTDAAB when it first came out - I remember the day it leaked, listening to it all day long, they day it came out and I raced home to open the CD(I had ordered through the mail) and listen to it more. I loved it until probably mid-January or so. Then it was kind of, good but it could have been better. It was like that until probably April or so. Then from April to about a week ago, I disliked it very much, taking every chance possible to say it was U2's worst record. But then, in the past week, after listening to countless altered playlists on my IPod, I decided to just pop the CD itself in my stereo, with four speakers surrounding me, and listen to it straight through, the actual album, for the first time in what seemed like ages. I wanted to try to recapture the enjoyment I got out of it while listening to it on the day it came out. And I was able to, in a way. I enjoyed listening to it more than I have probably since Christmas time. And I think that's because I went into the listening experience with a mindset of, I want to stop having certain expectations for the record, I want to stop comparing to other U2 records and expecting it to be something it's not, and just enjoy it for what it is. And that allowed me to do just that, enjoy it. Yes, it's not as adventourous or daring as some of their previous releases, and it's certainly not pushing any enveloples ala the 90s, yes it's overproduced in areas, yes it's commercial, but it still has the distinct U2 sound on it. The same U2 sound that has been on every record and single U2 have ever put out. And as long as that U2 sound is there, I'll be able to enjoy it, I think.

this is why i dont like pop music much it sounds aight when played for the first time!! but then as time goes by you realize how empty and meaningless those songs are!!

i might listen to maby 2 or 3 songs if i feel like it!! thats pop music for you right there!!

oh well there are always other bands making better music out there!!

shaun vox said:
this is why i dont like pop music much it sounds aight when played for the first time!! but then as time goes by you realize how empty and meaningless those songs are!!

i might listen to maby 2 or 3 songs if i feel like it!! thats pop music for you right there!!

oh well there are always other bands making better music out there!!

yeah, as contrasted with the deep and meaningful music of Whitesnake and Van Halen, lol.

Just kidding Shaun I actually like Van Halen and Whitesnake.:wink:

nickypiemcg said:

What's the theme of the album? Once you figure that out, you'll be able to listen more regularly. Don't worry it'll come to you.

Re: Re: HTDAAB Has no staying power

Layton said:
What's the theme of the album? Once you figure that out, you'll be able to listen more regularly. Don't worry it'll come to you.

Good post. ;)

Re: Re: Re: HTDAAB Has no staying power

financeguy said:

Good post. ;)

Thanks, I was concerned that it sounded a bit sarcastic. I'm just interested in what a person like this one sees the theme to be. It's so sad that so many are caught up in this 'safe' thing. "You label me, I label you" as Metallica says.

shaun vox said:
htdaab's theme is

sleep on the couch tonight lol:wink:

as someone said (U2 were making better music when they were getting laid) lol

You mean they were making better music when they weren't monogomous----lol. Hard to argue that, I guess---lol. Life always seems more interesting with a few extra ladies around. Problem is, U2 has began to stand up to their demons and not run from them. That's where HTDAAB's theme begins.

Layton said:
Problem is, U2 has began to stand up to their demons and not run from them. That's where HTDAAB's theme begins.

Yep, as Bono sang at the Brit Awards 2001, paraphrasing Craig David - "I'm not walking away from the troubles in my life, not walking away, won't find no better life".

nickypiemcg said:

How old are you?

The album still sounds as great to me as it did when I first heard it. :shrug:

I like it more now than I ever did and it is regularly in my cd player and my car cd player...and when it's in there, it stays longer than most other cds.

:| I hate how repetitive this subject gets.

namkcuR said:
If this was even a month ago, I'd agree with the original post very much. I loved HTDAAB when it first came out - I remember the day it leaked, listening to it all day long, they day it came out and I raced home to open the CD(I had ordered through the mail) and listen to it more. I loved it until probably mid-January or so. Then it was kind of, good but it could have been better. It was like that until probably April or so. Then from April to about a week ago, I disliked it very much, taking every chance possible to say it was U2's worst record. But then, in the past week, after listening to countless altered playlists on my IPod, I decided to just pop the CD itself in my stereo, with four speakers surrounding me, and listen to it straight through, the actual album, for the first time in what seemed like ages. I wanted to try to recapture the enjoyment I got out of it while listening to it on the day it came out. And I was able to, in a way. I enjoyed listening to it more than I have probably since Christmas time. And I think that's because I went into the listening experience with a mindset of, I want to stop having certain expectations for the record, I want to stop comparing to other U2 records and expecting it to be something it's not, and just enjoy it for what it is. And that allowed me to do just that, enjoy it. Yes, it's not as adventourous or daring as some of their previous releases, and it's certainly not pushing any enveloples ala the 90s, yes it's overproduced in areas, yes it's commercial, but it still has the distinct U2 sound on it. The same U2 sound that has been on every record and single U2 have ever put out. And as long as that U2 sound is there, I'll be able to enjoy it, I think.
:up: I'm glad you like it again.:wink:

nickypiemcg said:

I could not disagree more. I love HTDAAB more now than at any point since I've owned it(day of release). To me it's U2's second best album. It might not have the staying power to the general public like Joshua Tree does but even Achtung Baby lives in the shadow of the Joshua Tree album when it comes to the general public and Achtung is a much better album in my opinion. For me HTDAAB is still getting better on each and very listen.

I don't like the Bomb..
Like someone once said; it's U2 on autopilot! > that's the best explanation of me not liking the new album...
yeah, they're great songs, but not something I want to listen to badly.. (like other U2 albums)

I'm really hoping they'll put out a good one in 2006...

It's too early to say whether or not HTDAAB has any staying power or not. I certainly like it, but in future years we'll have a better perspective on the issue, and we'll be able to judge it.

Now it is clear that ATYCLB has some great classic songs (BD, Stuck, Walk On) but as a whole it doesn't have a lot of staying power. Pop has no staying power at all (except Gone, which is a minor classic). Zooropa, although I love it, has no staying power (except for Stay). Achtung is an eternal classic, Rattle and Hum has some great music but doesn't hold up as a complete package. JT is the ultimate U2 album, Unforgettable Fire has its moments but sounds dated in spots. The first half of War is great but falls apart at the end, and October only has Gloria. Boy is a classic too, and has really stood the test of time as a whole.

personally i still love the album, and find great comfort in it, specially when i have had a bad day etc, so to me it stays in my top 3 U2 albums :shrug:

I havent listened to it in FULL for a long long time. But then I dont tend to do that with any albums really!

I have HTDAAB in the car right now, and am mainly listening to AMAAW (still my fave) Crumbs, OOTS and Miracle Drug.

Aardvark747 said:
I havent listened to it in FULL for a long long time. But then I dont tend to do that with any albums really!

I have HTDAAB in the car right now, and am mainly listening to AMAAW (still my fave) Crumbs, OOTS and Miracle Drug.

ya in time AMAAW will go down as a great song!! this and maby two more song's i will listen to off the album!

hey check this out (its me playing the guitar solo to november rain!

http://forum.interference.com/t137228.html

Since i have started listening to it on the headphones i am loving it more and more................:heart:

nickypiemcg said:

That is the biggest trouble with instant sounding albums, they have no longevity in them, and become boring after a while. And people on here call it a classic album. If you want to listen to some great music just put on Achtung Baby, Pop, Zooropa, Joshua Tree or The Unfogettable Fire, at least they have longevity in them.:wink:

starvinmarvin said:

Pop has no staying power at all (except Gone, which is a minor classic). Zooropa, although I love it, has no staying power (except for Stay).

Pop and Zooropa have no staying power. WHAT!!!!!!! Syringe them ears man!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom