HTDAAB: Has Bono's songwriting hit rock bottom...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have to ask.... why does it matter what other people thing of Bono's song writing?? If you like it who gives a crap about anyone else?

I have to say, Bono's use of the words 'and', 'the' ,'what' and more importantly 'of' are way out of control on this one. He should just quit writing altogether and take up snooker.

While repetitive , I don't think those words become redundant, lyricly I like this album a lot, let's focus on all the other words, these are some of the best lines I've heard, and they don't come off as cheesy

"a house doesn't make a home"
"where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die"

and the last lyric in the album which features the word heart is the most compelling to me, because of context
"take this heart and make it break"

I say wow

So I asked Bono if he had anything to say to people harping on his songwriting skills and this is all he had to say:

knqcn

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Very well done stars!!!

Regarding Jick, isn't there the possibilty that Jick is laughing the hardest of all of us at the way his threads get people worked up? If not then Jick must have some very thick skin.

But in this case I think he does have a point, Bono IS repetitive, it's just a fact. Fortunately repetitive doesn't equal bad. But he is capable of some shockers, and I still can't see how 'mole, digging in a hole', got into the last album!!!!

Oh, and lyrically I am LOVING Oots, Bono can still write damn good stuff!

Yeah, J/Jick's post get more reaction, and more posts than most threads that actually have something real to say. Jick loves to drop the stink bombs and watch us all try to crawl out from the stench.:eyebrow:

U2ME3 said:
Bono doesn't write the lyrics! Larry does. Shhh... nobody is suppose to know.

Oh, by the way, this is not the Edge.

Well that is obvious. Your location is Ohio, everyone knows Edge is from Illinois!!! :lol:

Some of you are defending good ole Mr. jick here. I agree on one point, you dont have to like everything and fans can criticize. But you really have to wonder what the motives are when a particular person tends to post 90% negative all the time. This is a hobby for 99.9% of us here and the last time I checked a hobby is suppose to be fun. What is fun about someone constantly being negative or a wet blanket? Ask yourself why someone would do that? Just seems kind of pathetic to me. Oh well. Carry on! :)

at least, he's not singing "fuck", "shut up the fuck up", and all that nu metal stuff

Blue Room said:
Some of you are defending good ole Mr. jick here. I agree on one point, you dont have to like everything and fans can criticize.

Yeah, I agree that criticism is a necessary evil, but geez, come up with something better than this. And you know usually I take Jick's side, but this thread is inane.

Rafiennes said:
I have to say, Bono's use of the words 'and', 'the' ,'what' and more importantly 'of' are way out of control on this one. He should just quit writing altogether and take up snooker.

Yeah, City OF Blinding Lights? What about something more descriptive, like 'City Which Contains Blinding Lights?' :wink:

Guys, chill, if you read Jick's post it's really not that negative...and y'all know he gets a kick outta riling us up ;) Jick my man you are quite the funny one.

jick said:

If you ask me, I don't think Bono's songwriting has hit rock bottom. I think he is just tying up this album with a nice unifying theme - heart and love. And if you think about it, those are what you need to dismantle an atomic bomb.

Cheers,

J

:up:

Flying FuManchu said:
I thought Jick said something positive... :eyebrow: what are people complaining about?

He did, there at the end anyway. But the rest of the post seemed like an attempt to provoke people, at least to me. Still, I agree with the conclusion. :)

Jick has a 'reputation' around here but that doesn't give people the right to attack him - practice saying, "I respectfully disagree" if he says something you don't agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom