HTDAAB Evolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HTDAAB IS NOT ROCK!!!:mad:

led zeppelin is rock not this shit!!

achtung baby was the last rock album u2 ever made!!
pop(the album) has its moments but atyclb and htdaab are pure pop albums!
and when i say pop i dont mean boy bands or britney spears or the coors!

Last edited:
GibsonGirl[/i] [b]The IQ level in this thread just went down significantly.[/b][/quote] [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shaun vox said:
HTDAAB IS NOT ROCK!!!:mad:

led zeppelin is rock not this shit!!

I stand corrected. :| IQ doesn't even factor into this thread anymore.

Axver said:
ABOY is pure rock and roll in the vein of Desire.

Amen. It even has a similar chord progression :wink: Although that's probably an excuse for people to call U2 uncreative, re-using old material, although just about every band on earth does it (see: coldplay)

Vertigo and LPOE are rockin as far as the guitar goes

How dare U2 use the I IV and V chords again in a song!!!!!1!!111

That was so 11 albums ago.

Lancemc said:
How dare U2 use the I IV and V chords again in a song!!!!!1!!111

That was so 11 albums ago.

All because of you is the worst song off of HTDAAB.... But it is Rock.

So is interpol, and the tragically hip...But they are still making good rock songs.

I love good music.

:drool:

lay_evo_obesity.jpg

bread n' whine said:
Oh, I forgot to notice, you think HTDAAB is great.

So you really have no taste and it was not worth arguing. g'bye

Self admitted Radiohead fan here for a visit. Did any of us really expect he wouldn't end his visit in this way? :wink:

i'm afraid i'm very disappointed in that remark as well, mr. brau. hopefully he redeems himself, i know he can.

he's actually a very intelligent person, maybe he 7ust lost his temper or something.

bread n' whine said:

Floyd's Wish You Were Here is one of the wankiest messiest "albums" I've ever heard. The lack of ideas after Dark Side is so obvious. Way more than on Amnesiac vis a vis Kid A. Floyd were virtuosos at stringing it all together, but it's still uninspired crap except for one song.

:shocked:

Are you kidding me? I think this is the first time I disagree with something you posted. I think Wish You Were Here is Floyd's greatest achievement. Better than Dark Side, better than Wall. WYWH(the song) is gorgeous, and Shine On Your Crazy Diamond, all twenty-whatever minutes of it, is one of the greatest compositions in the history of rock. Welcome To The Machine and Have A Cigar are a little lower on the todem pole but they too are very, very good. Dark Side is good but overrated.

Radiohead, great band but certainly ego centric losers with no real personality to speak of. Shame they didnt play at Live 8 but really I didnt expect them too. They will make another record that again the critics will call great and they do it because Radiohead are just well known enough to be known yet not known enough to stay under the radar of the general masses...critics love this kind of thing.

HTDAAB is not rock? Are you in drugs or you don't understand anything about music?

Mysterious Ways can have lots of rock elements, but it is not a 100% rock song (the same for So Cruel, e.g.). The Zooropa and Pop albums are not too 100% rock. In ATYCLB, Stuck, in a moment, In a little while, Wild honey, Pace on Earth are not 100% rock too, in spite of being there the base of a rock song.

In HTDAAB the only songs that you can claim that it couldn't be rock is One Step Closer (a epic-ambiance song) and A Man and a Woman (a hard-bluesy song), the rest of the album is 100% rock.

Just because a song made lots of success, it doesn't mean that it turns a pop song. So that means for you, that if Vertigo or Elevation or All because of you were released in Achtung Baby era (or something) and it was not single... then, it wouldn't be a pop song....

namkcuR said:

:shocked:

Are you kidding me? I think this is the first time I disagree with something you posted. I think Wish You Were Here is Floyd's greatest achievement. Better than Dark Side, better than Wall. WYWH(the song) is gorgeous, and Shine On Your Crazy Diamond, all twenty-whatever minutes of it, is one of the greatest compositions in the history of rock. Welcome To The Machine and Have A Cigar are a little lower on the todem pole but they too are very, very good. Dark Side is good but overrated.

Well, it's a matter of taste. I can't fault Wish You Were Here in terms of technical skill-- it's a very, very well made album. In fact I loved it for the first time I heard it. There's an intangible thing that began to turn me off soon after though, probably the same reason "Paranoid Android" is one of my least favorite Radiohead songs. I like a bit of subtlety. Despite owning several Yes, Genesis and King Crimson albums and being open to anything like that, prog rock of the Shine On style is not really my thing. It feels soulless to me. That's the kind of song I picture when I think of the punk guys with "I hate Pink Floyd" T-shirts and I can't really blame them. The other thing I don't like about the album is how sad it is, and how completely opposite in spirit from Syd Barrett's music. It's supposed to be a tribute to him, so why is it like that? Animals and The Wall pull off the same style of music so much better to me. There's not even any comparison, those are some of my favorite records ever.

And hah, Radiohead "ego centric losers"? You're a fan of Bono and Edge's band, I wouldn't talk about egocentric-- it can be a good or a bad thing. In both Radiohead and old U2's case, I think it inspired creativity-- going out on limbs and not caring what anyone thought. Especially in Radiohead's case, as they never had that same commercial clout behind them.

If Radiohead are "losers" it's only because they write music for outsiders. But who is an outsider, the whole fucking globe these days besides some very rich Americans and Brits and Irishmen. So it stands to reason thoughtful people would write songs about them. Radiohead's music has expanded since the early days. It's no longer just empathizing with the angsty teen in the basement or twentysomething creep who can't get dates-- it's empathizing with the weak and oppressed, everywhere. Maybe their fanbase doesn't always reflect that, but the focus of their music has changed and you haven't noticed. If the fact that they don't go out of their way to appeal to people with ideas they don't particularly like, or go out of their way to schmooze with Bush and Blair, if that bothers you, well fine, but you're probably not a rock n' roll fan at all outside U2, because that's not what rock n' roll bands do, Bono and Chris Martin are the only politicians in the business. To me "losers" are type A step-on-everyone-to-get-ahead wankers, not pathologically shy brilliant musicians with lazy eye. Who haven't killed themselves yet either, though every article talks about how depressed they are, thank you very much.

Very immature attitude.

Aygo said:
HTDAAB is not rock? Are you in drugs or you don't understand anything about music?

In HTDAAB the only songs that you can claim that it couldn't be rock is One Step Closer (a epic-ambiance song) and A Man and a Woman (a hard-bluesy song), the rest of the album is 100% rock.

Go back to 1955 and play "City of Blinding Lights" to Chuck Berry or Elvis. They might like it, but I don't think they'd call it rock. They might say it sounded more like Frank Sinatra or Pat Boone.

That's kind of misleading though, I mean of course, "rock" changed after the Beatles. Because U2 is a "rock band," we can consider even an ambient song like "One Step Closer" to be "rock" in some way, the terminology is all quite meaningless. We're just sayin, even for the relatively non-rocking rock band U2 has been since after War, HTDAAB is quite glacially paced.

I would never use "pop" to denigrate things though. U2's best songs this decade, other than "New York," have been more pop to me. Actually, U2's best songs overall aren't really rock either, except some stuff on their earliest three albums, and "The Fly."

Back
Top Bottom