HTDAAB doesn't have a weak track IMO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheDaddy

The Fly
It's a really good album. I don't understand why some of you on these boards don't like it.

Okay it isn't the cinematic sound of JT or the gritty experimentalism of AB but it is more of a rock album than ATYCLB was and I think it's an achievement for a band in their mid-40s.

Another thing is it is much more diverse than ATYCLB and is a real reflection of their 80s sound.

Vertigo: Great opening song and awesome rocker

Miracle Drug: Awesome ballad

SYCMOYO: Awesome ballad

LAPOE: I love this song - great rocker.

COBL: Streets for the 00s

ABOY: Grows on me all the time. Reminds me of Oasis at their peak.

AMAAW: Personal favourite - gorgeous acoustic ditty

CFYT: Best song on the album. Gorgeous melody and I love that JT style guitar.

OSC: Gorgeous ambient song. Like I said this album is diverse.

OOTS: Great song.

Yahweh: Love this song as well although you have to say Edge's guitar saves it.

Fast Cars: Interesting experiment.

For me the U2 top 3 is:

1. Achtung Baby
2. JT
3. Pop/HTDAAB

:yes:

I honestly can't think of a single song on this album that isn't great for one reason or another. The lyrics and vocal on Sometimes are amazing, the guitar on Miracle Drug, the raw power of Vertigo, etc., etc., etc.

HTDAAB:drool:

xtihn said:
well, i can live without 'a man and a woman'.

I really like A Man and a Woman:scratch: i think its great..took me a while to really get into it but now i think its one of the best on the album, i love the bassline...i still don't like Yahweh but love the acoustic version

:dancing:

HTDAAB !!!!, what an album !!!,
So f***ng amazing, the whole album it´s a sonic delight, all the songs are so powerful.

HTDAAB bashers , :madspit:

My top three right now:

1.- Achtung Baby
2.- Atomic Bomb
3.- Joshua Tree

:drool:

I agree 100%. I don't hear absolutely anything wrong with HTDAAB. It's in my top 5.

I think it's funny that the most hated song on the record (A Man And A Woman) is also the most experimental song on the record, and those who bash the record, say it isn't experimental enough.:ohmy:

Where the album has a name, where the album has aaa name...(I'm singing, if you couldn't tell)

Anyway. I concur. The A-Bomb is my 4th favourite album, just behind Pop, AB, and JT. While it doesn't have that "album" feel like Joshua Tree or The Unforgettable Fire, every song is pretty high even by U2 standards. A collection of great songs.

It has what IMO albums since Achtung Baby lacked, which is consistency and a good second half.

It's a good record, but there are a few tracks, Miracle Drug, One Step Closer and Original of the Species, that just don't do much for me.

the tourist said:
C'mon people, A Man And A Woman isn't that bad.

Yeah! Odd thing about that song, though-whenever I hear it, for some reason, I think it would fit in rather well on October. Not that that's a bad thing, as I like October :).

Anywho, yes, this is a good album. It's nice to see some positive talk about it for a change :up:.

Angela

"a man and a woman" is a good tune if you're in the mood for it. I usually skip over it but when it's the right time, I love it.

Besides, I can't hate a song with bass playing as good as that in it.

HTDAAB is a great album, I still listen to it frequently (although lately I've put it away because I'm listening to the live versions from bootlegs).

I hope u2 go in a new direction with the next album, but ATYCLB and HTDAAB are both great albums and in my top 5 u2 album list.

Sorry if im crashing the party here; HTDAAB is not a good album. Many good songs, yes, but there is no flow to it at all. A good album, like most U2 albums, should almost tell a story, and the Bomb definitely lacks that. And because of that it sounds forced and unnatural. And it is not a return to the 80's :madspit:

HTDAAB lacks on being not an album but only a collection of songs. But some of them are great songs!

Sometimes you can't make it on your own
City of Blinding Lights
Crumbs from your table
One Step Closer
Yahweh

I love this songs! I only can't stand All Because of You :madspit:

This album is not so consistent as JT or AB but is certainly top 5 for me.

The songs are good but a lot of them suffer from one of two(or sometimes both) fates:

1.Overproduction - Lillywhite has a rather annoying and somewhat overbearing louder-is-better production style, and it makes songs like Crumbs and Original Of The Species, which with more subtle production would have been four-star songs(on a four-star scale), only three-star songs. That acoustic guitar at the very beginning of Crumbs? That should have been the main guitar used throughout the song. Given the subject matter of the song, it would have been that much more moving had it been toned down and perhaps an acoustic number. And OOTS? Let's just say, if U2 releases it as a single, and makes the single a version of the song more similar to the stripped-down Vertigo Tour versions, I will likely never listen to the HTDAAB version again.

2.Too Sing-Along-Able - There are multiple examples on this record of songs that are really very good if not great songs, but that are a little too sing-song-y in places where the song could in fact have been more effective if it weren't. Case in point, listen to the alternate version of Sometimes. Forget the fact that the falsetto chorus is gone, but focus on just the line 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own'. It's sung more somberly, with a slighty altered, darker, more moody melody. I think it is superior to the sing-song-y-ness of the same line on the version most of us know. Actually that's the only song where this #2 applies, imo anyway. No, I take it back. Yahweh. If they had made it darker, less happy, and more acoustic, much like the live versions, it would have been better.

See, the songs themselves are very, very good, I don't argue that at all. I simply argue that the above two things resulted in the record being just a little more 'mainstream-sounding' than it needed to be.

HTDAAB!!! In my top three which also include JT and AB...lol!

Great Album, AMAAW is my favorite, great bassline, love the accustic guitar, great vocals, love the metal snare drum bit when the song goes quiet and breaks down!!! Awesome!!

I was Hugely impressed on my first listen and still love it!!! really great!! :drool: :drool:

namkcuR said:

1.Overproduction - Lillywhite has a rather annoying and somewhat overbearing louder-is-better production style, and it makes songs like Crumbs and Original Of The Species, which with more subtle production would have been four-star songs(on a four-star scale), only three-star songs. That acoustic guitar at the very beginning of Crumbs? That should have been the main guitar used throughout the song. Given the subject matter of the song, it would have been that much more moving had it been toned down and perhaps an acoustic number. And OOTS? Let's just say, if U2 releases it as a single, and makes the single a version of the song more similar to the stripped-down Vertigo Tour versions, I will likely never listen to the HTDAAB version again.

mmmm hmmm.....

'A man and a Woman' is extraordinary, one of U2's best love songs!

HTDAAB: Amazing piece of work. Brilliant. A U2 masterpiece

hey there i keep hearing of alternate versions of songs from HTDAAB....i have an alternate Yahweh and i have Xanax and Wine as well as Native Son...but what others are available? and would anyone be kind enough to share?:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom