HTDAAB - as described by the band!!! (Q magazine)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Bono is cueing up his CD for a second time, Adam Clayton and Steve Lillywhite wander back. The latter has come to collect Bono for his final vocal of the record. He eyes Bono smoking, and smiles. "It makes a change for Adam and I to be watching over Bono's bad habits," he says.

"At least my habits are legal," replies Bono archly as he gets up.

Ouch........Bono being a bitchy badass

Thanks again Philod

Xavier

Last edited:
Philod! :bow:

Since I will not be able to purchase this magazine for another month (Canada), you have provided many of us a wonderful service by doing this. I am forever grateful of the time this must of taken you to do. Thank you.

C.

philod said:

Love and Peace or Else
As close as U2 have come to being Led Zeppelin

City of Blinding Lights
Back to the wide-open terrain of The Unforgettable Fire, via a vintage Edge motif.

I have pretty much said it every day this week now. I have a hunch that this combination is just going to floor me. I am believing this more and more now.

:hyper: :combust:

thanks for posting this, must have taken forever! Really appreciate it!

About the article, I thought it was incredible. Showed such a mix of emotions, and I love that. The bands sense of humor has been based around making fun of each other since before they had a record deal, so it doesnt sound like its anything negative. I think someone else stated it correctly, the article wouldnt have flowed well if the author started stating his own opinions about the album.

Great quotes on the new album, the author did state that the two strongest songs are SYCMIOYO and One STep Closer. The former I was kind of worried about, so this makes me even more excited.

At the end, Bono said he gave a copy to Iovine, Stipe, and my man Rick Rubin. If they all praised it, wow....this is going to be a special CD! IT seems that it has a piece of all their albums blendedinto one.

It's curious that Stipe and Bono are so close that Michael would get an advance copy of the album. Maybe he'll accidently leak "Bomb" after having "Around The Sun" leaked! :wink:

City of Blinding Lights is going to be amazing! I was at two of the three NYC shows -- met my fiance at one of them. We both agree -- you have never seen shows like that. So much emotion. We cried. We cheered like crazy, almost like 20,000 people going through Scream Theapy together. We wouldn't like the band, the cops and the firefighter leave the stage the last night.

I'm assuming Bono may be talking about all of us listening to Streets -- "See that dust cloud disappear without a trace". At that point, we only wish that could be true. But it was so good to hear it anyway.

Those shows were amazing. F-in' amazing. So if the guys are wandering around here, thanks so much for doing that song for us. And for showing up when we needed you.

Murray said:
Is anyone else upset that Bono mostly rambled about religion and politics in the reviews?

Isn't that what Bono usually does? I would love to hear him talk more about those topics....his viewpoints on them have alot more clairity than the usual dribble that gets doled out.

Thanks for the posting...very good article. Am I the only one who's a little dissappointed that the writer didn't at least tell us whether it was Edge's or Bono's running order/tracklisting that made the album? :eyebrow:

Great article. Thank you, philod!
I think Edge's tracklisting made the cut...since Miracle Drug is a slower track.
Love the bizarre description of A Man and a Woman: The Clash meets Marvin Gaye??? WTF?
All Because of You has a guitar solo! YEE-HAW!
Looks like Sometimes, One Step Closer and Original will be big emotional songs.
The only song I'm sceptical of is Crumbs From Your Table. Somehow it reminds me too much of Peace on Earth.

Thanks a bunch for typing that out Philod! I've gone through a bit of a U2.. i dunno.. hiatus I guess. I'm coming back into realizing what I love about these guys. While reading this I was listening to ATYCLB for the first time in months and it really hit me. I'm one of those people who doesn't approve of the direction they took with it, but there's no way in hell that those are bad songs.

But I digress.

I'd love if you could send me the txt file of that.. and I'll put it up on my site somewhere: damuma@gmail.com

Thanks a lot for typing that whole interview for us man, i really appreciate it, great read.

thanks for the typing philod, that is very appreciated!

And what an awesome article, really giving us a glimpse of life inside U2. I wouldn't be concerned with the writer not stating his own opinion of the album, I'm sure the magazine has a more music oriented review coming up, remember they exist to sell magazines!!

All the signs point to this album being something much more than a pop/rock record (Vertigo, while great, gives that impression). It seems it may well be the third in the great U2 trilogy - Joshua Tree; Achtung Baby; HTDAAB ...

:wave:

Just want to say that I will post scans of the article in the morning or about 8 hours from now, with any luck:)

Not that I want to steal Philod's thunder, but I should be able to squeeze a high res scan of each page onto my webspace alongside Bono's speech;)

Nighty night:yawn::hug:

ps. Guess who's been lynched by the beer monkey?!!:sexywink::D

TC2290 said:
I hope you all go out and buy Q!!

:) :) :)

This is a no-brainer purchase for me. U2 cover, U2 tracks described, U2 comedy, U2 politics, U2 religion and some great F'n U2 pictures too!!! :drool:

This will be fun ready over again in a few years. Right now I am re-reading articles centered on the release of All That... . Exciting times!!! :hyper:

philod said:
The last we see of him, Bono is walking unsteadily down the pebbled beach and into the night. He takes off his Stetson, waves it the once and is gone.

I love this part - it's funny, sad and unbelieveably touching.

I haven't heard any of the new album yet, but after reading this article, I'm looking forward to it more than I ever have. Thanks, philod!

philod said:
A thread running through the record is Bono musing on the nature of marriage. The protagonist in A Man and A Woman, for example, ponders, "forever, faith, sex and fear, and the things that keep us here", before concluding that he could "never take a chance on losing love to find romance". Is referring to himself here?

"It is personal, yes" says Bono, "but I couldn't specifically tell you what that song's about. There's a desparate character in there though. I shake when I sing it. It obviously touches a nerve."

What great sample lyrics there. He Shakes when he sings it? This is the one song title I didnt like, But now with this and knowing its a rocker, cant wait.

Quote:
Originally posted by philod
A thread running through the record is Bono musing on the nature of marriage. The protagonist in A Man and A Woman, for example, ponders, "forever, faith, sex and fear, and the things that keep us here", before concluding that he could "never take a chance on losing love to find romance". Is referring to himself here?

"It is personal, yes" says Bono, "but I couldn't specifically tell you what that song's about. There's a desparate character in there though. I shake when I sing it. It obviously touches a nerve."

It sounds like The Fly has met his match/ equal in 'A Man and A Woman'. Just the words "a man" in the title remind me of "Lemon", in particular these lyrics

"A man builds a city, with banks and cathedrals.
A man melts the sand so he can see the world outside.
You're gonna meet her there
A man makes a car,
she's your destination
and builds a road to run them on.
You gotta get to her
She's imagination
A man dreams of leaving but always stays behind"

:bow: Thanks philod!

Great interview, it seems like it will be a very personal album (at least for Bono), with the AIDS and Bono's father being topics on some songs. I have a feeling it will be a dark album too, because of that and 9/11 influence surely coming in too.

I'm interested in hearing the album even more now. Great quotes from the band, especiall girls DJs and Edge mention from Bono :laugh: I also think Larry was just being himself and not really angry at Bono.

What I'm dying to find out is whether Edge's or Bono's tracklist is the final one, or if its a mix between the two.

I'm just guessing by the song descriptions that it's Edge's.:drool:

Hey thanks for links the scans of Q mag. I want to go and buy it now! just not sure if my local Borders book store will have it yet. and then I will be crushed if they only have last months.
Lin:sad:

Back
Top Bottom