HTDAAB - as described by the band!!! (Q magazine)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the interviewer throwing his opinion of the tracks would have distracted from the interview in general. Plus, I don't know if he heard it all in the final tracklisting order which, as we know, can alter yuor opinion of things greatly.

Dark in places, like others have said, but hey, that's the world we live in at the moment. IMHO, that bodes well for the album.

Last edited:
Thank you philod!!!

I like it when articles about the band talk about how they are as people. It makes for a more interesting listen to the music.

Bono appears to be working through some heavy shit. He's done and seen a lot that we can't fathom, and as he's said, he's had to deal with some pretty awful people to further his cause.

philod said:

Bono: "I went to speak to Christian fundamentalist groups in America to convince them to give money to fight Aids in Africa. It was like getting blood from a stone...."

I did take a perverse glee in this quote.

thanks a million, philod, for actually typing the entire article out for us. you rock!

i have not been this excited about a new u2 release since--if you can believe--the joshua tree. i think it's gonna blow our minds. actually, my mind is already blown just from reading this article.

my favourite line, from bono, of course:

philod said:

"I see pictures of myself and think, Oh God," he groans. "I can look like a rock star. But I can also look like a pudgy politician. Or a darts player. It's always sexy on the inside, though."

:lmao:

City of Blinding Lights - I was at that show and he's right...everyone was in tears! It was an incredible experience!!

I knew Vertigo was Full Metal Jacket/Native Son..it was only obvious.
Damn can someone go to the UK and steal the album for us fans!! j/k

Excellent review!!

that's an amazing article.
it's funny, sad, quite sad actually, i almost cried on some places and that has never happend to me before when i read an article....

thanks a lot Philod for your time to type this great stuff!!!!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ahhh... so the truth comes out on why the edge was a bit touchey about the edge's cousin picture :wink:

Ah, Headache! I thought of you when I read that part...:)

The album sounds awesome, but I'm honestly really disappointed that two or three songs are about the AIDS crisis. Bono promised none of the songs would be.

Come on guys... I've heard enough about it...

Last edited:
shart1780 said:
The album sounds awesome, but I'm honestly really disappointed that two or three songs are about the AIDS crisis. Bono promised none of the songs would be.

Come on guys... I've heard enough about it...

Bono's lyrical style almost always has a universal appeal and ambiguity about them, so I wouldn't get too worried.

VertiGone said:
Great, great article!! Philod you RULE!

When Bono is talking about Ali, wow....very touching.

No shit! There would be millions of women who, if married to Bono would be putting him on an alter- but in true fashion- it's Bono who thinks *he* may not be good enough for her!

I've always wondered what kind of record the band would make if Bono, (God-forbid), ever split with Ali, if even for a few months for whatever reason. I recall Achtung Baby was heavily influenced by what the Edge's marriage was going through, and we know how dark and deep that album turned out. Of course, it's been 22-23? years together now, and they obviously have something that can't be broken. It's really amazing considering the temptation that being Bono must entail.

oh god i just noticed this thread..and i'm eating so i have to type with one finger...if bono really has to do that no wonder he's scared of the internet..and i can't look at it!!!!!

i surely don't want to not listen to releases or anything until some ritually determined proper time...
but it will totally ruin my trip
if I hear what the boys themselves have to say about their
work...at least insofar as they talk about what it's *about* for goddsake.. before I hear the work...that for me is the only relevant kind of spoiler.

shit, it's so tempting...but i'm staying away and now the pizza is just kinda sticking out my face while I use both hands to type before hurriedly rushing off!

I hope everyone who likes this sort of thing has lots of fun with it! And I hope that those who don't are strong, cause for me at least I find giving in to that brand of temptation is disappointing.

I was really enjoying the *speculation* about the new songs thread!
Dammit, now I'll probably have to not read those anymore either...oh well..

cheers all!

edit: AAAHH...I'm really having trouble with this...
please everyone send out a silent ..."don't read this stuff til after the HTDAAB release, don't read this stuff til after the HTDAAB release, don't read this stuff til after the HTDAAB release" energy?

thanks...

cheers again!

Last edited:
This album's potential is greater by the day. I was a little worried after hearing Vertigo (great song) but now I'm excited about the themes of the album.:drool:

City of Blinding Lights
Back to the wide-open terrain of The Unforgettable Fire, via a vintage Edge motif.
Bono: "It's a New York song. About going there for the first time. We were the first band to play Madison Square Gardens after 9/11. During Where the Streets Have No Name the house lights came up and there were 20,000 people in tears. It was beautiful."

msg_064.jpg

I'm sorry...I'm probably gonna post here a couple more timesdespite myself...
I just needed to unload a heavy flash
inspired by my glimpse at the comments from some about how
they didn't love the idea of more songs in any way about AIDS...

AIDS is too heavy a topic for U2 to not write about...
think of it...
it's a disease that comes from love, it's illness (and sometimes death) that just spins horribly from just being human.
Cancer is bad too, I've lost people in my family to that and not to AIDS.
But so far as we know, you don't get that from other humans while making love/ having sex/ giving in to temptation (well, some temptations maybe unfuckingfortunately do cause cancer too)...
god even being born or nursing (I think that's just wrong of me to say, but I forget what the bottom line on nursing and transmitting aids is...)

there, I feel better again now...
thanks and cheers to all!

Last edited:
:wave: Thanks Philod, I cant wait to get this magazine!!
Does anyone know when it will come out in the states??!?!?!

philod said:
Dawn is coming, Larry Mullen is sitting in the TV room idly channel surfing. He appears to have remained ageless for 20 years. Mullen only seems to really relax when the tape is switched off. He says that most of this friends are "builders and plumbers". When, in 1997, U2 released a high-camp video to accompany their Discotheque single, the regulars in Larry Mullen's local pub put the drummer's scene as a disco-dancing cowboy on a tape loop on the video jukebox. He is not mourning the fact that U2 have stopped trying to make us smile.

"I was always concerned that the further we moved from what we knew, the greater the danger that we'd disappear up our own arses," he says. "I couldn't cope with being called a pretentious prat."

Mullen says he is yet to form an objective opinion of the new album. He is surprised the band have come through another one.

"There were some heated debates as usual," he says. "But the party line is, If you don't have a better idea, shut the fuck up. It usually does the trick."

Bono enters to bid us goodnight. It is still dark outside but he is wearing sunglasses. "Did Edge play you his version?" he asks. "Did you prefer his or mine?"

"You see what we have to put up with?" asks Mullen with a long, weary sigh.

Oh, Larry.... :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom