HTAAB---The new Rattle and Hum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahweh said:
and where is Faith No More today a long distant memory and for the record I didnt think they were all that special.

But what a memory!!!
And Mike Patton is still out there with Tomahwak,Fantomas,Mr.Bungle and many more.
It doesn't matter how well does he do on the charts.
Faith No More were great, always experimental, always different,reinventing themselves all the time.

You know, I don't get why great music has to be about "re-invention" I'm all for change to avoid stagnation, and evolving musical ideas is a must..but as soon as U2, who've always re-invented, have a song-focused era of writing (2000-now) they are bashed to fuck for it..if the songs are good enough, they're good enough, regardless of whether they break the mould.

As I have told people in the past if you dont like what U2 is doing...change the channel ZooTV style.

It's hard to change the chanel, you know.............
Let me qoute a song:
"Nothing's changed
I still love U2
only slightly
only slighly
less then i used to"

It's the Smiths if you were wondering.

roy said:

I'm sorry but AB has some of the most boring commerical songs U2 ever recored:

EBTTRT,
WGRYWH,
MW,
TTTYAATW,
UV.

Boring songs with nothing to say, made primarily to be played on radio. Experimental album my arse...

So how would you describe the songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB ???,, If you call Achtung baby commercial, then those two records are SUPER commercial.

When somebody says that Achtung baby, Zooropa and Pop were experimental records, then what do you all think that it means ??
I am sure its meant within the U2 catalog. And somebody already mentioned that Achtung showed so many new sides to U2. From vocals, sounds ect.. THATS why it was experimental.
Maybe some of us simply liked the fact that U2 could surprise us and REINVENT themselves like that. Because thats exactly what they did.
When somebody want U2 to pull another Achtung Baby, then maybe its not surposed to be understood as maybe The Fly part 2... Its the feeling of something fresh.. And HTDAAB does not provide that feeling for me.. Its a great album, and i love it. And i wouldn´t bash it for anything, because i have no reason to do so.
I hoped for something more, and i only have myself to blame for that. But i will continue to hope for a U2 album that totally blows my mind again. Until then, i am thrilled to have HTDAAB.

yimou said:

So how would you describe the songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB ???,, If you call Achtung baby commercial, then those two records are SUPER commercial.

When somebody says that Achtung baby, Zooropa and Pop were experimental records, then what do you all think that it means ??
I am sure its meant within the U2 catalog. And somebody already mentioned that Achtung showed so many new sides to U2. From vocals, sounds ect.. THATS why it was experimental.
Maybe some of us simply liked the fact that U2 could surprise us and REINVENT themselves like that. Because thats exactly what they did.
When somebody want U2 to pull another Achtung Baby, then maybe its not surposed to be understood as maybe The Fly part 2... Its the feeling of something fresh.. And HTDAAB does not provide that feeling for me.. Its a great album, and i love it. And i wouldn´t bash it for anything, because i have no reason to do so.
I hoped for something more, and i only have myself to blame for that. But i will continue to hope for a U2 album that totally blows my mind again. Until then, i am thrilled to have HTDAAB.

I completly agree.I used the terms "R&H" and AB as symbols of U2 history and I'm happy that someone understands it.

You are right we have to balem OURSELVES for our high expectation, but there's nothing wrong with that isn't it?
We expect nothing expect the best from u2 ut by they amizing records like POP or AB they gave the right to expect much,to expect impossible things.

Marr said:

I completly agree.I used the terms "R&H" and AB as symbols of U2 history and I'm happy that someone understands it.

You are right we have to balem OURSELVES for our high expectation, but there's nothing wrong with that isn't it?
We expect nothing expect the best from u2 ut by they amizing records like POP or AB they gave the right to expect much,to expect impossible things.

You are damn right :up: ...

damn i hit the wrong keys and i look like someone you can't write properly.
But you know english isn't my native languange anyway,so you have to excuse me.

But, you know,i hope that one day people will remember AB or POP, not ATYCLB or HTAAB.

I think that to some of us U2 means more then to others, who are just happy with anything they realese.

Read the "dream it all over" part.
It's good that HTAAB sounds the way it sounds:)

I don't think it is fair to imply that those that rate HTDAAB highly aren't "real fans" like yourself.

I love trolls. ;)

ponkine said:
Hola amigos :wave:

I´m sure some friends will get me wrong ( once again :tsk: ) but yes, I do believe this HTDAAB is their new Rattle & Hum. Rattle & Hum ( despite it has its moments, like the 4 singles, Heartland, God Part II, etc, etc ) wasn´t truly new. Even they included some live numbers from Joshua Tree on it. I think the same situation happen here,sadly :down: :tsk:. It´s clear this is not an avant-garde nor experimental neither truly new. Most of us know several songs were worked from ATYCLB outtakes sessions. That´s clear as the outcome: The album is nothing truly new. I´m not saying it sucks, it has its moments as well ( City Of Blinding Lights is the best U2 2000 song IMO :yes: ) but given it´s nothing new and risky, it´s really annoying and dissapointing

Finally, it´s a good thing this album is the new Rattle & Hum...

DREAM IT ALL AGAIN... ;)

Ponkine post really summs it up into one simply conclusion.
We look at U2 from a wider angle.
It's not just Mtv, the charts, the sales.
It's not just another rock and roll band, it's alway been more.
Like The Sex Pistols, Like Nirvana, Like The Smiths---this is history at the making!
With HTAAB they're at a point where evrything been said, no idead in the house and every book's been read.......
But,you know,they build and they can will. Can't wait until....

Moderators--how about a forum for Pop fans who don't like HTDAAB?
That way the rest of us (you know, the unenlightened sheep) can go back to sharing our thoughts about the band we love.

What do you mean you look at U2 from a wider angle, it looks to me like your angle is actually very narrow...U2 has 11 studio albums not 3. If you can find a band that has as good a cataloge of music be my guest.

U2 have never stated that they didnt want to sell records and be the biggest band in the world and they have done it very well over the last 25 years. I have interviews back in 1980 where they say they want to big bigger then stadiums, and doing POP or even Achtung Baby at this point in their career would not allow them to do that.

How many people on this forum would complain if U2 did a Passengereque album and released it under the U2 name as a major release....I think a lot more then would complain about releasing a conventional album that is filled with good music....if you want bells and whistles of a band that is only into music for experimentation purposes U2 is not your band.

But then you people would lose out on all the live energy that you know very well you love so much so I guess it is time for you guys to either forget about U2 or accept who they are right now.

When I first got into U2 back in 1990 or so I found the 80s U2 fans to be very closed minded at that point in time but I think it has been taken over by the 90s generation of fans.

Keep this in mind U2 doesnt write music for one person they write music for many many many people so you arent ever going to get the album you want if you go into it saying oh it has to be this or it has to be that...it will be a never ending cycle for you....

Approching a U2 record with a closed mind is never a good idea because if you just open your mind up a little bit you might find something you like about it....it doesnt have to be your favourite album but U2 certainly dont have to write Achtung Baby, Zooropa or POP records just because you said they should.

U2 is a hall of fame band that deserves the right to write whatever music they want, as in my opinion they are the most important and influencial band of the last 25 years.

Yahweh said:
When I first got into U2 back in 1990 or so I found the 80s U2 fans to be very closed minded at that point in time but I think it has been taken over by the 90s generation of fans.
yep, I feel exactly the same

I just want to go on record saying I think the ONLY time U2 went out into real experimentation was when they did Passengers. To compare them with Radiohead, Passengers was their Kid A. Everything else is just Creep, Street Spirit, and Karma Police -- stuff that is commercial one way or another. Be it chiming echoing guitars or wah-fuzz guitar and a little more techno beat. It's all all over the radio. It's all commercial. Both are good. I love both. In fact, I even love Passengers. I hope they do everything they've already done and more before they finish. But if they don't, I'm still happy with what they HAVE done.

(to steal from Jick), Cheers!,
Andrew

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Faith No More?? Morrisey?? The Smiths?? Pop?? Achtung Baby?? Do you guys listen to anything that that came out after 1997?

There has been new music since 1997???? :ohmy:

:wink:

:ohmy:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Moderators--how about a forum for Pop fans who don't like HTDAAB?
That way the rest of us (you know, the unenlightened sheep) can go back to sharing our thoughts about the band we love.

Why dont you get the old braincells working, and try and understand that nobody is saying that they dont like HTDAAB..
This thread is getting extremely stupid, because of comments like this from somebody who obviously didn´t read the posts..

Most threads go this way, start a thread about pizza and someone will say they don't like HTDAAB or someone doesn't get POP..............

I don't think that HTDAAB is the new R&H because U2 album "flavors" tend to go in triads. (atleast to me)

Boy
October
War

Unforgetable Fire
Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum

Actung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
???

So, according to this (to be read as 'my') pattern, the next album would progress deeper into the ATYCLB/HTDAAB moods, and U2 would "find a new sound" after that.

Weather or not you like the current "sound" of U2 is up to you, but the whole "they should do this and/or that" is rubbish. You can either like it or shut up!

ZeroDude said:
Most threads go this way, start a thread about pizza and someone will say they don't like HTDAAB or someone doesn't get POP..............

You are right !!!!,, Unfortunately

MiracleDruggie said:
I don't think that HTDAAB is the new R&H because U2 album "flavors" tend to go in triads. (atleast to me)

Boy
October
War

Unforgetable Fire
Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum

Actung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
???

So, according to this (to be read as 'my') pattern, the next album would progress deeper into the ATYCLB/HTDAAB moods, and U2 would "find a new sound" after that.

Weather or not you like the current "sound" of U2 is up to you, but the whole "they should do this and/or that" is rubbish. You can either like it or shut up!

This theory has been used alot although UF I think deserves it's own place like POP because these two just about had their own eras to themselves not only musically but also in U2's image.

But there are always the same 2 or 3 people who are complainig about something and then, people think that a lot of people have this opinion.
I'm sure that there are many fans who enjoy U2's music and their new album.

Zoovation said:
I'm sure that there are many fans who enjoy U2's music and their new album.

Yeah, and they should enjoy it. Its a great great album.

Yep, it's a good album, although everyones entitled to their own opinion, some people try to force theirs too much

It would be nice if every thread about HTDAAB would not turn into the whiney, old "oh but it's not like the 90's" (get over it) complaints and the "it's nothing new".

Fast cars. Love and peace or else. A man and a woman.
Those songs sound like nothing U2 ever did before.
(I'd also say All because of you is new ground for U2, sounding like a 60's rock band)

Also, enough with the "real fans love the 90's and some fans like everything U2 puts out" crap already.

Last edited:
It's really hard to make some people around here understand that nobody's trashing HTDAAB,it's not a bad record,in fact,it's really good and I'm realy enjoying it.
But you should understand that this stuff is nothing new,so it can't be that exciting as let's say POP.
This is an album for the masses,an album made fro heavy radio and Mtv rotation.
When You wait four years for an album you except much,you have to right to expect much becouse beeing a U2 fan you can get used to perfect albums.
But this album won't blow your mind,it won't change your life,it's just a very good rock'n'roll album,that you can enjoy listening.

And for the last time,I never said That HTAAB SOUNDS LIKE R&H, as I explained earlier it's just a metaphor. R&H is a metaphor of stagnation,giving up on discovering new sounds,and U2 admitted it was a mistake.But back then in 1989 you would still defend it, becouse you'd like ANYTHING U2 would realese.

And please tell me one thing,hand on your heart,gun to your head------what did you feel when you hear "A Man And A Woman" for the first time,or "One Ste Closer To Knowing" or Walk-on-like- sounding "Crumbs".
Wasn't it dissapointment?

Matthew_Page2000 said:
Faith No More?? Morrisey?? The Smiths?? Pop?? Achtung Baby?? Do you guys listen to anything that that came out after 1997? [/QUOTE

Yeah, Morrissey or Mike Patton's Solo albums.

But,no,in reality, I listen to a lot of stuff that came out after 1997,but i must admit that the best things in music were in the early 90s.

You you the music industry isn't doing well lately...........

BTW---what do you listen the came out AFTER 1997?
Coldplay?Avril Lavigne?

Marr said:
It's really hard to make some people around here understand that nobody's trashing HTDAAB,it's not a bad record,in fact,it's really good and I'm realy enjoying it.
But you should understand that this stuff is nothing new,so it can't be that exciting as let's say POP.

Well, I never found half-finished albums of syntho-pop very exciting...

This is an album for the masses,an album made fro heavy radio and Mtv rotation.
When You wait four years for an album you except much,you have to right to expect much becouse beeing a U2 fan you can get used to perfect albums.
But this album won't blow your mind,it won't change your life,it's just a very good rock'n'roll album,that you can enjoy listening.

I happen to like rock'n'roll...

And for the last time,I never said That HTAAB SOUNDS LIKE R&H, as I explained earlier it's just a metaphor. R&H is a metaphor of stagnation,giving up on discovering new sounds,and U2 admitted it was a mistake.But back then in 1989 you would still defend it, becouse you'd like ANYTHING U2 would realese.

"ANNNNGGGEEELLLL! ANGEL OF HARLEM!"
Well... beats the hell out of:
"Miami, my mammy."
:yuck:

And please tell me one thing,hand on your heart,gun to your head------what did you feel when you hear "A Man And A Woman" for the first time,or "One Ste[p] Closer [To Knowing (not in title)]" or Walk-on-like- sounding "Crumbs".

*Places heart on hand*
*Places heart back into chest*
*Places hand on heart*
*Put gun to head*
*Speaks*
"AMAAW sucks :barf:, Crumbs so-so :scratch:, OSC OK but dull :|."

But those are the weakest tracks on HTDAAB (well OOTS beats out Crumbs for 3rd least good). Compare them to the weak tracks on Pop... ALL of them EXCEPT Disco, Gone, and SATS... :rant:

OK, maybe I went a bit (very heavy) on the sarcasm :tongue:, but the point remains the same: YOUR OPINIONS AREN'T FACTS!

Last edited:
Marr said:
And please tell me one thing,hand on your heart,gun to your head------what did you feel when you hear "A Man And A Woman" for the first time,or "One Ste Closer To Knowing" or Walk-on-like- sounding "Crumbs".
those are some of my favourite tracks on the album

Rattle & Hum is a very good album
though not a great one
therefore it is a bit of a mash of different kinda things
much like POP
R&H has better song material though
perhaps they should have let Flood produce that one back then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom