How well has ATYCLB done? lets see

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
As we all know, the album is having a great run and has been on the charts longer than many of us ever expected. Taking a look at the Billboard charts and thinking back a bit. I came up with a quick list of who U2 has outdone on the charts so far and who has done better than them.

Keep in mind I am focusing mainly on longevity here and not on sales numbers.

Who has done better than U2 so far:
Enya - 46 weeks, now at number 3
Linkin Park - 50 weeks, now at number 7
Disturbed - 76 weeks, now at number 45 (this one is a close call. They have been on the chart a long time, but I think they had a late rise as they only have one million in sales)
Limp Bizkit - 51 weeks, now at number 76. (U2 is higher in the charts right now but they have sold many more albums and are close to U2 in the charts)
J.Lo may end up outdoing them. Right now she has been out 37 weeks and is at number 16.

Who has U2 outdone (major artists):
Blink 182
Fuel
Tool
REM
Depeche Mode
Live
Dave Matthews
Janet
Weezer
Madonna
Tori Amos
Jay Z
Outkast
D12
Backstreet Boys

I know some people hate it when we compare U2 directly with other artists like this, but it really shows how well U2 has held up in the current musical landscape. Can anyone else add to this list?

You forgot to put Rickey Martin on that list. Not to mention:
1)Have sold out EVERY date on their tour, when no other artist has been able to sell out their tour.
2) Their tour is set to be the 3rd biggest ever in the U2 and one of the most succesful in the world
3)They won three grammys and one of thenm was for SONG OF THE YEAR-which means it was the best song that came out.
4)Hve sold 2.93million albums(after this weeks sales are included) in the US, which is pretty good, but it continues to sell
5)world wide they have sold over 10 million albums and thats in just the first year.
6)Areosmith has been around for 25 years and there last album bombed and their tour isnt selling out every date(just look at billboard.com and they played like five shows and none sold out)....REM has been around for about 20 years and they dont sell either.....Bon Jovi has been around for about 15 years and they did sell well but U2 out sold them and u2s tour was more sucessful. Im just pointing out that u2 has been around for 20 years and the artists that WOMANFISH compars them to are considered the HOTEST in the industry. This just goes to show that they are as popular as anyone else even after 20 years....WOW!

In fact, on a worldwide basis, U2 has outdone all of the above! The only artist ahead of U2 this year worldwide are the Beatles, Shaggy, and Dido. The Beatles are not a group anymore. Shaggy and Dido or only ahead by a fraction.

I think that U2 outdone more than half of those artists that outdon them in US when we take the whole world in account

That is a great point STING. Although by now, I bet U2 has overtaken Dido. Things are still looking great on the U.S. chart for U2. In fact, now the only two groups that have outdone U2 (in the U.S.) are Enya and Linkin Park. I would now put U2's success above Limp Bizkit, looks like they will outdo J.Lo after all, and almost definitely nsync. We can also look forward to them doing better than the Backstreet Boys Best of, Lenny Kravitz new one (which is too bad), and Michael Jackson. A couple of other big names who did nothing this year in comparison to U2's album are Stone Temple Pilots, John Mellencamp, Macy Gray, Elton John, Billy Joel, the list goes on!

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 11-06-2001).]

Actually, in the USA, Limp Bizkit is still a good bit ahead of U2 with over 5 million in sales compared to 3 million by U2. Worldwide things are great, but in the USA, U2 is still struggling to get into the top 20 of the year. Thats ok though, the USA is just one market, worldwide success is much more important.

I know what you're saying, but I am not going just on sales, but really looking more at the longevity of the album. While Limp Bizkit may be certified 5X's platinum, they are at #100 on the Billboard chart and U2 are in the 50's.

My point is, take a band like BSB. They come out and sell 1.5 million copies in the first week, but then crash and burn on the charts after only a couple months! they may have ultimately sold more than U2 (so far in the U.S.) but I wouldn't call their album nearly as successful.

I may have to concede that Limp Bizkit may still be a bit more successful at this point, but if U2 holds steady for a while longer, I will say their album is ultimately more successful.

no matter what happens ATYCLB has ensured U2 to be a reckoned one of the greatest bands in the world from the 80's into the 00's

how many bands/artists can say that?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

You are right Salome
In fact there are not so many football teams that qualify regulary to the WC from 80's until now... am I right Salome (sory but i realy have to)

------------------
Everyone loves me
everyone thinks that I'm georgeours
they wait for their turn to meet me

Who has U2 outdone (major artists):
.......Depeche Mode

Who hasn't outdone Depeche Mode?
wink.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by womanfish:
Who has done better than U2 so far:
Enya - 46 weeks, now at number 3
Linkin Park - 50 weeks, now at number 7
Disturbed - 76 weeks, now at number 45 (this one is a close call. They have been on the chart a long time, but I think they had a late rise as they only have one million in sales)
Limp Bizkit - 51 weeks, now at number 76. (U2 is higher in the charts right now but they have sold many more albums and are close to U2 in the charts)
J.Lo may end up outdoing them. Right now she has been out 37 weeks and is at number 16.

I'm not worried about any of these artist... most of them are "flavor of the month" bands... it'd take them years, if they're talented enough, to establish the repoitoire and the musical credibility U2 has.

------------------

it's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on

SlipStream Soul

Back
Top Bottom