How to throw a gold-mine in the trash can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Simple. Doing what people at RSO Records did in 1979, check the letter below...take a look at the date, Bono?s 19th birthday. Unbelievable.

carta_rechazo_s.jpg

According to U2Guatemala the letter was part of Larry?s U2 collection along with that infamous first U2 t-shirt he designed.

Check this link for the story.
http://www.showbizireland.com/news/june02/13-u2103.shtml

or

http://www.u2guatemala.com/news.htm

I actually recall seeing that collection at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland when I went. They just had a little display case but it had that letter, the shirt, a note written to Larry I believe from the band for his birthday in '80 or something and a copy of U23. Cool stuff. And of course, the trabants and Zoo TV sign are also there.

To think those fools turned down U2 and thought The Bee Gees Sgt. Pepper was a good idea! :laugh:

okay, it took me long enough to find it...

ta-da! the Larry shirt!

Attachments

• tshirt.jpg
    tshirt.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 81
hi follower This appeared in my local newspaper (page2:)) on May 10, 2002.
I have been meaning to post a thread around it...oh I can extrapolate...thought I'd show it to you in the mean time.
I find it amusing , reminds me of McPhisto and Elvis and my preschool mural, I have drawn smilie faces on...EVERYTHING...for years:):mac:

Attachments

• far side.jpg
    far side.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
spanisheyes said:
I'm not suprised by this letter, seeing that RSO's direction at that time was the distribution of disco music, and artist that were making that type of music. One record companies lost is another companies gain.

Chris

My dear friend, always the voice of reason...thinking better (and reading U2Kitten?s reply) I can remember of a few 7 inch vynil I had of Bee Gees and stuff...hey I was only 16 or something, nobody is perfect :D

and oh, that shirt...Larry wouldn?t be exactly successful as a designer, don?t you think? ;)

cass, that drawing is, lets say, amusing...kinda scary, but amusing ;)

and olive, thanks for that Edge?s letter, never had seen it. It reminds a bit of that one written by Bono to his father...they were so young yet so confident in their future. I can?t help, I?m a sucker for U2 history...still trying to understand where all this magic has come from.

I've seen a lot about this kind of thing, a good band being turned down and then they become megastars. You know Madonna was told by the Fame producers she couldn't sing or dance. Look at her now, and them. Britney Spears lost on Star Search. I'm not a Britney fan or much on Madonna either, just examples that sometimes talent scouts are wrong in their ideas of what will sell.

woops Gary Larsen .... and me.
it seemed funny at the time.... maybe not. It was the smilie face with horns that got me.

Back
Top Bottom