How to Remantle an Atomic Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
Okay, I know there's been like a million tracklist reordering threads for Atomic Bomb, especially when it just came out. But, after a year, I think I finally hit the nail on the head with something that sounds right to me.

From the first day I listed to it, I never thought the album flowed correctly and it's lack of flow in turn hindered it's identity for me. Was this album "punk rock from Venus" as Bono said? Or was it just a rehash from the ATYCLB sessions? By playing around with the track list order and some adding and subtracting, I've found an album I think flows correctly and also recaptures some of that punk rock that the boys were going for early on... Before the producer change and Jacknife Lee got more involved. But it still caputers the strongest of the most poppy songs.

1. LPOE. I started with this because I wanted a heavier intro and even more than Vertigo, the theme of LPOE better conveys the albums message.

2. Vertigo. Hey, it's the major single so it gets a prominent position. Plus thematically and tonally it flows well from LPOE.

3. ABOY. Since this is supposed to be a rock record, I wanted to keep things moving. I never liked how the original tracklist slowed down immediately from Vertigo into MD and Sometimes.

4. Now after the strong start, I've started to slow things down with MD; a huge pop song with some rock tendancies that makes a nice bridge between the opening three and Sometimes.

5. Sometimes (103bpm). This is the fastest version of Sometimes; available on the US radio promo. It's not FAST, but it's a little more up-tempo than the other versions. So while the MD-Somtimes couplet brings the album down a bit from the quick opening, it doesn't come across as a massive sink hole in the A-Side.

6. COBL. Moving things along a bit again as the A-Side closes. COBL's slow intro flows well from Sometimes and kind of does two things at once here: It keeps the pop feel of the previous two tracks but COBL also has a nice harsher undertone with Adams driving bass and Edge's slide work that restores the edge (not, The Edge) to the album's opening tracks.

7. Crumbs. Crumbs builds on that edgey riff from COBL and sets the pace for the B-Side.

8. Are You Gonna Wait Forever. AYGWF from the Vertigo Single keeps things chugging along with another power rock song. It's riffy and guitar driven like Crumbs, but it also has a glossy production which makes it a nice transition song between Crumbs and the next track.

9. OOTS. OOTS is a major pop song that fit more on ATYCLB than on HTDAAB, but it's just too damn good to leave off. To make it fit best, I could have put it after Sometimes, but then MD, Sometimes & OOTS brings the album too far down. I could've gone MD, OOTS and left Sometimes for the back half, but Sometimes is too good of a song and was also a major single. So in keeping with the boys album philosphy, I wanted to keep Sometimes on the A-Side. Having OOTS follow AYGWF at least allows it to continue that high polished production value that the prior song has.

10. Xanax & Wine. There isn't much of a transition here. It's more of a dicotomy but I'm alright with that. X&W is practically a demo and Edge's guitars are very rough, but its so innovative that this song to me best recalls Bono's "Punk rock from Venus" line; so to me it's essential to this album.

11. Mercy. Mercy's as rough around the edges as X&W so the transition is perfect. It's also a perfect album closer with a beautiful message and with the albums coda, offsets the dark opening tracks perfectly.

12. Yahweh. As good a closer as Mercy is, Yahweh is better. All throughout the album there are songs filled with faith and hope and Yahweh condences these various messages into a single song and finishes the album's journey. I considered using the alt version to continue the low production values trend that began with X&W, but the prominent piano in the album cut really adds to the epic feeling of the song.

Leaving out A Man & A Woman was tough, but I just couldn't find a place for it without making the album too pop-y. Plus, again going back to the band's album philosophy, they've never released a 13 track album so I didn't want to do it either.

On the other hand, leaving off One Step Closer was easy. I am NOT a fan of Jacknife Lee as a producer and wished he hadn't touched this track. I heard that originally it was supposed to be a country-ish song and wish they had left it that way. As it is, it strikes me as a song with a nice theme, but musically boring and no more than a single's b-side.

Fast Cars... Jacknife Lee again. Gah. Xanax is so far superior in my opinion. I like the callisto themed music, but the guitars of Xanax are brilliant.

If you try my mix, I hope you like it.

Somebody spends a lot of time and effort on a detailed well written post and all you guys have done is trash it. :tsk:

I have my own preferred order of course but I don't mind parts of yours. I like the 'Pop' like hard hitting tracks 1, 2 and 3. Crumbs opening side B sounds cool. The inclusion of Mercy is awesome! I wouldn't leave out AMAAW though. Pleasant song with beautiful percussion. I don't mind chucking One Step Closer. It's just okay.

Here's mine for comparison...

1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes
4. City
5. Original Of The Species
6. Yahweh

7. All Because Of You
8. Crumbs
9. A Man And A Woman
10. Fast Cars
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. One Step Closer

LAPOE never fit in at #4 but works beautifully after FC. OSC if included has to end the album.

Last edited:
I like LPOE opening the album.

It has sort of bugged me that the last three albums have had the first track being the lead off single... It always seemed like they botch the running order by doing this.

Interesting playlist. I don't agree with most of it, but it's obvious you put a lot of thought into it, so props.

I've been listening to a BOMB playlist in the last week or so that I've been enjoying a lot. I basically started by making a setlist out of the BOMB songs with the ZooTV setlist structure...to jog your memory, a typical ZooTV show might open like this:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

so...doing that with the BOMB tracks, and filling in some spaces here and there, I came up with...

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
All Because Of You
Fast Cars
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Original Of The Species
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer

I couldn't fit Yahweh or MD in anywhere.

One of the reasons it was sometimes difficult for me to get into COBL was because it was right in the middle of the album, and I got the feeling that it was supposed to be like this big epic song around which the album was centered. The song didn't work in that role for me because I just felt the lyrics were too lightweight and the chorus was a bit cheesy...while the music was good, the lyrics to me weren't that of a 'big epic song'. Now, imagine of Zoo Station was track #5 on AB and it was supposed to be track the record was centered around. It would put a different taste in your mouth, wouldn't it? But as an opener it's spectacular. Same thing with COBL. I feel it works much better as an energetic opener to get you into the mood for the record to follow.

That in mind, you tell me if you can see the correlation between Zoo Station through TTTYAATW in the Zoo setlist and COBL through AMAAW in my Bomb playlist.

That's my take.

namkcuR said:
That in mind, you tell me if you can see the correlation between Zoo Station through TTTYAATW in the Zoo setlist and COBL through AMAAW in my Bomb playlist.

LOL - I just realized that sentences makes no sense.

Just take out the 'That in my mind'.

namkcuR said:

I've been listening to a BOMB playlist in the last week or so that I've been enjoying a lot. I basically started by making a setlist out of the BOMB songs with the ZooTV setlist structure...to jog your memory, a typical ZooTV show might open like this:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

so...doing that with the BOMB tracks, and filling in some spaces here and there, I came up with...

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
All Because Of You
Fast Cars
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Original Of The Species
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer

I couldn't fit Yahweh or MD in anywhere.

I've been kicking that idea around too, but with Joshua Tree. As to your comparison, I'd put Myst Ways and AMAAW together. They both have the moraccan (sp?) vibe. ABOY is the sequel to EBTTRT, so good call there definately. I'd do One with OOTS myself. Again, everyone has their own tastes, but what you'd done is pretty cool I think. Vertigo/The Fly is dead on as they both share a monster guitar riff.

smurf_sista said:
i like the new mix!!

your mix flows much better!

but i have um not heard of Xanax & Wine, Are You Gonna Wait Forever and Mercy :reject:

Post or IM me your email address. We'll have to take care of that.

Snowlock said:

I've been kicking that idea around too, but with Joshua Tree. As to your comparison, I'd put Myst Ways and AMAAW together. They both have the moraccan (sp?) vibe. ABOY is the sequel to EBTTRT, so good call there definately. I'd do One with OOTS myself. Again, everyone has their own tastes, but what you'd done is pretty cool I think. Vertigo/The Fly is dead on as they both share a monster guitar riff.

Well, the key to Mysterious Ways is that it is an easy-to-sing-along-to kind of song, especially in the chorus. Fast Cars is the same kind of deal, easy to sing along to. The chorus of AMAAW is really good, but not as easy to sing along to.

'One' is a slow balled, OOTS is not, imo. Sometimes is Bomb's slow balled.

To me, OOTS is more of a mid-tempo anthemic ballad, similar to what Wild Horses was for AB/ZooTV. That's why I think they go together.

TTTYAATW is musically very mellow musically and vocally and I felt like AMAAW was what matched that the best.

I've been recently rejigging the track order on HTDAAB, mainly because unlike most of U2's previous albums (ATYCLB and Rattle and Hum included), there doesnt appear to be a musical theme running throughout the album.

Several songs in particular, seem to detract from this idea of HTDAAB being "punk rock made on venus" and a "guitar" album.

So here's what I came up with:

1. Love and Peace or Else - born to open

2. Miracle Drug - awesome guitar solo

3. Sometimes You Can't Make it on your own - token ballad

4. All Because Of You - garage rocker

5. Original of the Species - provides balance

6. Vertigo

7. Are You Gona Wait Forever - underrated track

8. Crumbs From Your Table - exhillarating outro

9. Fast Cars - Guitar-based as well as new ground for U2

10. Mercy - Classy track

11. Yahweh - alternate mix maybe?

Apologies to Man and Woman and COBL (which are both terrific songs) but they just don't seem to slot in anywhere for my liking. One may query my inclusion of OOTS and SYCMIOYO, but I believe they add something to the overall flow and aesthetic of the album, despite not being as "rocky" as other tracks.

Also, I havent heard any other HTDAAB session songs besides the actual album, Fast Cars, AYGWF and Mercy.... so I can't include these.

Snowlock said:

Post or IM me your email address. We'll have to take care of that.

Hi Snowlock, if possible, could you send me Xanax and Wine + Mercy also? ...would really appreciate it.....have heard loads about them, especially Mercy..

My email is: Will_walshe@yahoo.co.uk

great running order by the way....especially the opening 3

I have been listening to this one alot and it flows really well:

City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Vertigo
Sometimes
A Man And A Woman
Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species
One Step Closer
Yahweh

Check it out and see

LuvandPeace1980 said:
I have been listening to this one alot and it flows really well:

City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Love And Peace Or Else
Miracle Drug
Vertigo
Sometimes
A Man And A Woman
Fast Cars
Crumbs From Your Table
Original Of The Species
One Step Closer
Yahweh

Check it out and see

LuvandPeace FTW!

This playlist I feel flows pretty well and is cool

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
All Because of You (Single Mix)
Crumbs from Your Table
Mercy
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Love and Peace or Else
Xanax and Wine
A Man and a Woman
Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
Original of the Species
Yahweh

I included 'Electrical Storm' because I feel it fits thematically with what's on the album and it's a great damn song :rockon:
Xanax and Wine sounds pretty raw and is a cool complement for 'Love and Peace or Else' and doesn't stray too far away from the sound of the preceding 'A Man and a Woman'

Back
Top Bottom