How To Dismantle The Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbinteract

The Fly
Wow, So this is what I get when I go away for a weekend and do not check out what is happening here at interference!

Well like everyone else I have now listened to HTDAAB, and I think I get it. I understand why they consider this album their best. For the first time I can see a union between the simplicity of the melody, and the simplicity in the message. I am not going to try and find comparisions to older recordings, of couse they are there to some extent because it has their fingerprints on it.

With this record they have dismantled many bombs, on many levels, be it from the predictable dealing with the loss of a father, to the more deliberate dismantling of their own music and message. It is all here. In every song you can hear loss, question, and most importantly hope. Just listen to those guitars chime, the vocals flying high, and the melodies...the melodies are the key to the message.

All because of you should haunt everyone when they face the mortality of their own loved ones, City of Blinding Lights I think is about their fans, specifically their live audiance. "I miss you when your not around" and "you see the beauty in me... where did the beauty in me go?" And Yaweh... we all know of Bono's faith but it is so perfect that he asks the big questions, and then offers his heart to be broken... its complete humility and submission. I love it, and I cant wait to hear this stuff live.

I completely disagree with the earlier german fansite review..because I too am a musician, and if you cant find the melodies here... then you just werent listening.

There is so much melody, emotion, and again I say hope, in every song. And as fans isn't that what we always look for in a U2 record?

I love this record, I do think its their best to date, which makes me sad because they always said when they did their best work they would stop... so now I am waiting for Edge to say, as he has so many times in the past, "I still think we are capable of saying it better."

dbinteract said:
I completely disagree with the earlier german fansite review..because I too am a musician, and if you cant find the melodies here... then you just werent listening.

I'm not a musician and I had no trouble discerning the melodies. This album is chock full of some of the most powerful, melodic songs that I have ever heard. If you can't hear the melodies, I wonder if you can hear at all.

If they can continue to make music this good, it wouldn’t bother me if they kept going for another 25 years. Those germen reviews were very pretentious after hearing this record; they really didn’t know what they were talking about.

I always thought it was a bad idea for anybody to review the album after one listen anyways.

Back
Top Bottom