How to dismantle an atomic bomb 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shaun vox said:
unless coldplay beats u2 to it!!! oh wait they already did and will do it again!!!!!!!!!!

u2 needs to change their sound to get away from all the coldplays/ keane and what not mellow/sappy bands that are out in full force right now!!

u2 are not my fave band anymore thanks to (atyclb and htdaab) so i could care less what they do now!!

Do you post anything positive about U2, EVER?! I have yet to see a post that you do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to dismantle an atomic bomb 2

MrBrau1 said:

Many here have hated U2 for the past 5 years, and will surely hate the new record as well, making it 3 straight, and 7 or 8 years of dislike.

Yet they still post here. :scratch:

Because while they may dislike the majority of U2's music in the last five years, there's still 20+ years of work which they adore and enjoy discussing.

It's not rocket science.

I wouldn't worry so much about Shaun Vox, folks. Once he revealed his everlasting love for "November Rain" in a B&C thread he lost all credibility in my book. If a U2 song isn't a piece of overworked melodrama like that, he isn't going to be down with it.

Ok, what's this thread about again? Oh yeah, HTDAAB pt 2. I don't like part 2's, in general. So I'd say no. My feeling is that it's time for U2 to loosen up their song structures. They've done enough emphasizing of conventional song structures that they're on the verge of sounding too rigid as a band.

I'd also like to see them get away from the inner exploration themes they've been on for the last 3 albums. It's time for a manifesto. Bono has alot of ideas of how the world should be. It's time for U2 to musically present those ideas unencumbered by uncertainty.

Last edited:
Layton said:
I'd also like to see them get away from the inner exploration themes they've been on for the last 3 albums. It's time for a manifesto. Bono has alot of ideas of how the world should be. It's time for U2 to musically present those ideas unencumbered by uncertainty.

On the HTDAAB DVD Bono says that he was planning on writing about all of the problems in the world, and that HTDAAB was supposed to be this huge, aggressive rock album, but that something changed while he was writing, and while they were recording the album.

I think songs like Native Son and Crumbs reflect the earlier direction (the one you'd like to have in the next album), while Vertigo and Original and COBL obviously represent the shift.

I'd also like to see the aggressive, political direction taken on the next album, cause there's nothing better than angry Bono, and a U2 that's sure of itself.

Needle_Chill said:

I'd also like to see the aggressive, political direction taken on the next album, cause there's nothing better than angry Bono, and a U2 that's sure of itself.

Amen Amen Amen!!! :bow:

U2Man said:

U2 are as sure of themselves as they've ever been.

Are you kidding? Subject wise, the Bomb has the most vague bunch of songs they've ever written probably! Trying to be just vaguely political on songs like Crumbs, not taking a stance on current burning issues, not taking sides, not making enemies. Even Achtung Baby, an album that was much more introspective than political had a song about terrorism!

Layton said:

Ok, what's this thread about again? Oh yeah, HTDAAB pt 2. I don't like part 2's, in general. So I'd say no. My feeling is that it's time for U2 to loosen up their song structures. They've done enough emphasizing of conventional song structures that they're on the verge of sounding too rigid as a band.

I agree with that, I think. I don't expect a radical change next album, but I'm expecting some either more hard, raw, guitar-driven work (think alt. ABOY, Xanax, LAPOE...) or more free-flowing, ethereal stuff (like Mercy :drool: ). perhaps some combination of both.

I don't know why so many people think U2 have lost their way and that there's some division between 1980-1999 U2 and 00's U2. ATYCLB was a shift in direction just as much as Achtung or (to a certain degree) UF :shrug: Would you all really have wanetd U2 to continue in the industrial/experimental direction and possibly fade out? I suppose the answer is yes. Personally I'm glad U2 shifted gears, and anyone who has seen me post knows my favourite album :wink: I just like seeing U2 on the top of the world, is that such a bad thing? I'm not saying I'd want them to compromise what they wanted just to be popular, fuck no. But I don't think they've done that. U2 has, for the most part, been happy with what they've released over the last few years, and I agree with Bono when he says HTDAAB is their best collection of songs to date. But I also agree with him in that the whole isn't greater than the sum of the parts which leads me to believe that the next U2 album will be just that - an album, not a bunch of sort of similar songs on the same CD. I'm very much looking forward to that.

Zootlesque said:

Are you kidding? Subject wise, the Bomb has the most vague bunch of songs they've ever written probably! Trying to be just vaguely political on songs like Crumbs, not taking a stance on current burning issues, not taking sides, not making enemies. Even Achtung Baby, an album that was much more introspective than political had a song about terrorism!

I'm afraid the overly political angry Bono may be gone for good. He can't hate on his pals over at the White House or any other government if he wants them to keep chiseling away at the AIDS emergency. I fully support what Bono's doing and I think it's more important than writing angry political songs just to please fans, but damnit, I do miss those. I know Bono's angry. I wish he could put it in the music instead of writing something incrediblty vague and non-confrontational like LAPOE (musically fantastic, but Peace on Earth is much, much, MUCH more bitter and better lyrically) and Crumbs.

AtomicBono said:

something incrediblty vague and non-confrontational like LAPOE (musically fantastic, but Peace on Earth is much, much, MUCH more bitter and better lyrically) and Crumbs.

Abso-fucking-lutely!!! :bow:

How do more people not see how much more superior Peace On Earth is to LAPOE??? At least lyrically.

Zootlesque said:

It's a hard to be taking sides if you're working with the world's biggest politicians to eradicate debt and get aid to Africa. I also think the band knows better than jump the anti-Bush bandwagon.

Crumbs is about catholic Church, not politicians. Also Love is blindness is open to interpretation, it can very easily fit into the whole broken relationship theme of AB.

U2girl said:

It's a hard to be taking sides if you're working with the world's biggest politicians to eradicate debt and get aid to Africa. I also think the band knows better than jump the anti-Bush bandwagon.

Crumbs is about catholic Church, not politicians. Also Love is blindness is open to interpretation, it can very easily fit into the whole broken relationship theme of AB.

I understand that they can't really be taking sides to achieve the goal of the One campaign. See, but that's where they stop being artists and become politicians. :huh:

And about LIB, I always thought it was about a relationship too... until I paid good attention to the lyrics... and my God!! that song is definitely about terrorism! :yikes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to dismantle an atomic bomb 2

MrBrau1 said:

I've hated the crap Radiohead have been shitting out since Kid A. Yet you won't find me on a RH board ragging on them.

Many here have hated U2 for the past 5 years, and will surely hate the new record as well, making it 3 straight, and 7 or 8 years of dislike.

Yet they still post here. :scratch:

Imagine that, there's U2 fans not liking the band's 90's work yet you don't see them harping on it at every opportunity, multiple posts/threads daily.
Even more suprisingly, they won't attack/ridicule others and their opinion and most importantly, slam their view down other people's throats and/or trumpet their opinion as fact.
*gasp* I guess they joined a U2 fan site to talk about the albums they like.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to dismantle an atomic bomb 2

U2girl said:

Imagine that, there's U2 fans not liking the band's 90's work yet you don't see them harping on it at every opportunity, multiple posts/threads daily.
Even more suprisingly, they won't attack/ridicule others and their opinion and most importantly, slam their view down other people's throats and/or trumpet their opinion as fact.
*gasp* I guess they joined a U2 fan site to talk about the albums they like.

It's cos the hardcore 90s fans have an agressive attitude... goes with U2's own attitude in the 90s, really. :rockon:

;)

Zootlesque said:

Are you kidding? Subject wise, the Bomb has the most vague bunch of songs they've ever written probably! Trying to be just vaguely political on songs like Crumbs, not taking a stance on current burning issues, not taking sides, not making enemies.

How exactly does the above make HTDAAB lyrically vague. :confused:

If anything it contains some of the most un-obscure, direct lyrics Bono has ever written.

Again another example of a poster who didn't get what he/she specifically wanted, yet somehow that's U2s mistake.

roy said:

Again another example of a poster who didn't get what he/she specifically wanted, yet somehow that's U2s mistake.

Cmon... lots of people complain if they don't get what they want from the band! I'm sure even you would if they start experimenting with a genre you're not particularly fond of!

Not only is 00s U2 not my favorite genre that they have explored, the lyrics are definitely sub par IMO. Oh well... I never mean to be negative and constantly nitpick with this argument. Just pointing out what I see. Doesn't mean that I'm not gonna have hope for the next album and run out and get it on the first day.. yet again. :wink:

roy said:

How exactly does the above make HTDAAB lyrically vague. :confused:

If anything it contains some of the most un-obscure, direct lyrics Bono has ever written.

It depends. Many songs are direct, like Sometimes. Everyone knows what that song is about. But Love and Peace or Else? It's about...uhh...love...and...peace...or...else?? :huh: And Yahweh? Talk about RANDOM. "Yahweh/Always pain before the child is born/Yahweh/Why the dark before the dawn?" again I love this song (well the alt version is way better than the album version), but what the hell? the chorus seems really random especially in comparison to the verses.

but that's just my opinion, i'm sure people are gonna jump on me and say "STUPID THE SONG IS OBVIOUSLY ABOUT [whatever] THESE LYRICS MEAN [whatever] EVERYONE KNOWS THAT"

:wink:

Zootlesque said:

Cmon... lots of people complain if they don't get what they want from the band! I'm sure even you would if they start experimenting with a genre you're not particularly fond of!

Not only is 00s U2 not my favorite genre that they have explored, the lyrics are definitely sub par IMO. Oh well... I never mean to be negative and constantly nitpick with this argument. Just pointing out what I see. Doesn't mean that I'm not gonna have hope for the next album and run out and get it on the first day.. yet again. :wink:

Obviously that's fair enough, each to his own. But I wasn't criticising you for not liking 00's U2. I was specifically responding to you assertion that HTDAAB was lyrically vague...

roy said:

Obviously that's fair enough, each to his own. But I wasn't criticising you for not liking 00's U2. I was specifically responding to you assertion that HTDAAB was lyrically vague...

I guess 'politically vague' is the phrase I was looking for. I guess what bugs me is that... there's so much to scream about in the world today, what with wars and terrorism going out of control.. and one of the most well-known 'political' bands in popular culture string together a bunch of pop-rock songs and make it into an album that's hardly about any current issues... except for maybe Miracle Drug or Crumbs. Or it's extremely vague like LAPOE.

Well, I'll admit with the title like that for an album I was expecting something 100% political.
I guess it turned out to be more about Bono's own "bomb" to dismantle - relationship with his father, his activism, faith, marriage etc...

weaird some ask for a more guitar driven album i.e. in the vain of all because of you, yet that said song is possibly the most critised on this board :|

Zootlesque said:

I guess 'politically vague' is the phrase I was looking for. I guess what bugs me is that... there's so much to scream about in the world today, what with wars and terrorism going out of control.. and one of the most well-known 'political' bands in popular culture string together a bunch of pop-rock songs and make it into an album that's hardly about any current issues... except for maybe Miracle Drug or Crumbs. Or it's extremely vague like LAPOE.

Politically aggressiveness can just as well, and sometimes even more so, be a sign of weakness, stupidity or blindness than a sign of strength. Bono and the rest of them have simply grown too old and wise to jump the anti-this, anti-that thing nowadays, which is good. Yes, he has become a politician, but he has become so because he realized that that is the only way he will actually be able to have a real impact on the politicians in charge and thereby help Africa etc. - and I don't think you should expect this to change, you seldom become more stupid with age ;).

I can gladly admit that I personally hugely prefer today's Bono to the Bono that would cry "What a wanker you have for president!". Do you seriously think this kind of behaviour is a sign of personal confidence and integrity? I don't think so.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Politically aggressiveness can just as well, and sometimes even more so, be a sign of weakness, stupidity or blindness than a sign of strength. Bono and the rest of them have simply grown too old and wise to jump the anti-this, anti-that thing nowadays, which is good. Yes, he has become a politician, but he has become so because he realized that that is the only way he will actually be able to have a real impact on the politicians in charge and thereby help Africa etc. - and I don't think you should expect this to change, you seldom become more stupid with age ;).

I can gladly admit that I personally hugely prefer today's Bono to the Bono that would cry "What a wanker you have for president!". Do you seriously think this kind of behaviour is a sign of personal confidence and integrity? I don't think so.
:up:

KUEFC09U2 said:
weaird some ask for a more guitar driven album i.e. in the vain of all because of you, yet that said song is possibly the most critised on this board :|

I love the last minute of ABOY... the solo and the 'I'm alive...' verse. But otherwise the song is very skeletal. Nothing much to it.

U2Man said:

I'm not aware of the wanker comment. But see... you can write politically charged up songs in a somewhat subtle way like Pearl Jam did with Bushleaguer on Riot Act and Radiohead did with Backdrifts on HTTT. Or REM with Ignoreland. :drool: Although, that PJ song is not exactly subtle. :wink: But my point is that Bono need not be waving a white flag and jumping up and down to make a stance!

There's three ways Bono can use U2's music in reference to his 'cause' -

(a) Keep it completely seperate.
(b) Make it part of the argument.
(c) Make it, I guess, the 'diary' of the experience.

The Bomb is clearly (a), most of us understand why he's not keen on (b). I'd love to see (c) though.

U2girl said:

Seriously? They have a song titled Saturn's Rings?

I read something about it somewhere like 6 months ago, and then never heard anything else about it. So I don't know.

Love and Peace or Else works pretty well for me as a political song - if only Bono hadn't included that idiotic "Where is the love?" line! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom