How The 1990s Should Have Been

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
U2 was riding high in the early 1990s. They had created a new sound with Achtung, Baby, and were critical and commercial darlings. They were in the middle of a massively successful tour, and were adored worldwide.

But from 1993 onward, things should have happened differently. This is how the decade should have been:

1993: U2 releases Zooropa as a EP, including only the most experimental songs from their midtour sessions:

1. Zooropa
2. Babyface
3. Numb
4. Lemon
5. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
6. The Wanderer

They save the more mainstream tracks, like Stay (Faraway, So Close!), Dirty Day, and The First Time, Wake Up Dead Man, and If God Will Send His Angels for the next album.

1994: U2 takes the year off after a long, exhausting tour. Larry and Adam take musical lessons in New York. Edge and Bono relax in Dublin. They convene again in November of 1994 to begin work on their new album.

1995: U2 continues to work on their new album. They create a catchy new song entitled Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me and consider using it for the upcoming Batman film, but decide to save it for their upcoming album. They refine the songs leftover from the 1993 sessions. The album begins to shape up retaining some of the experimental flavorings of the Zooropa EP, but in many ways is more rocking than Achtung, Baby. They re-tune the songs from the 1993 sessions to fit more cohesively with the new tracks. A song list begins to form:

Gone
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
If God Will Send His Angels
Dirty Day
Do You Feel Loved
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Please
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
Wake Up Dead Man
The First Time

Revisiting a song from 1993 tentatively called Some Days Are Better Than Others, the band decides that the song's bass line is strong, but the lyrics are weak. Bono writes new lyrics around a similar theme and Edge constructs a new, more rocking guitar around Adam's original bass line. The song's title is shortened, and is now simply called Some Days. It is the last track to be added to the album before completion.

A few songs - Mofo, Discotheque, Miami, and Playboy Mansion - begin to form, but are left off the album. The band decides that the first two songs do not fit musically with the rest of the album, and decide to use them for the next one. They throw the other two away, and Brian Eno burns the masters.

U2 releases Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me on October 28, 1995 as the first single off of their new album Wake Up Dead Man, which is released in early December, more than 4 years after Achtung, Baby.

1996: Gone is released as the second single. U2 begin their new tour in March. They tour until the end of December.

1997: U2 takes the year off. The band members devote time to side projects and personal matters. Bono campaigns for several causes.

1998: U2 meets up in January, and begin work on their new album. Using Discotheque and Mofo as inspiration, they create an album flavored and laced with dance grooves and trip hop beats but still very much rooted in rock and roll sensibilities. U2 releases the first single in August, and their new album, POP in September. Bono suggests that they dress up as The Village People in the first music video. He is shot down.

1999: PopMart hits the road in late February. It is a massive spectacle which includes a large screen positioned behind the band that projects magnificent imagery. A gigantic metallic lemon and a huge olive are considered as campy stage props, but the band eventually decides against them. The tour comes to a close in early December.

2000: The band takes most of the year off, but meet back up in October to begin work on their newest album, which is to be released in the summer of 2001. The band decides to return to a more traditional sound, of 'four guys playing in a room.' Bono suggests the album title: All That You Can't Leave Behind.

This is all hypothesis based on a thought I had a few days ago about U2 putting out an album in 1995. I personally think that's when their next album should have come out, since I consider the gap between Zooropa and POP to be far too long. Especially considering that Zooropa isn't really a proper album. It's too quick and rushed, and although I like many of the songs on it, I think it would have been better as an EP.

I wouldn't get caught up necessarily on the track order or the song listing on the 1995 album I hypothesized. This is all conjection. If the album had come out in 1995, more than half of those songs wouldn't even realistically be there because they weren't conceived until 1996.

So the track listing, in reality, would look hardly anything like that (except for the songs taken from Zooropa and saved). Something to consider. I just didn't want to start inventing names of U2 songs to fill up the LP because it would have been a bit stupid.

-Miggy

I think the only thing U2 should have done differently is to not have rushed Pop, and Bono should never have taken up smoking.

Sken

Last edited:
Miggy D said:
This is all hypothesis based on a thought I had a few days ago about U2 putting out an album in 1995. I personally think that's when their next album should have come out, since I consider the gap between Zooropa and POP to be far too long.

-Miggy

Passengers for all intents and purposes was the U2 album that came out in 1995.

While not technically a U2 album, you can't "technically" re-write history either.

I'd consider some of those songs too. I personally liked everything about the 90's, besides the rushed release of POP and the POPmart dates alreayd being booked etc.

does bono smoke anymore?

that's a question that hasn't been asked in a long time. i remember everyone used to want to know.

by Zoomerang96

does bono smoke anymore?

I don't know the answer to that, but if they do 'Zoo Station' this tour, I can't imagine him doing it without a cigar in his hand.

Sken

Miggy D said:
2000: The band takes most of the year off, but meet back up in October to begin work on their newest album, which is to be released in the summer of 2001. The band decides to return to a more traditional sound, of 'four guys playing in a room.' Bono suggests the album title: All That You Can't Leave Behind.
First single: "Please Save Me From This 40-ft.-Lemon-less Hell."

And bizarrely, in this alternate timeline, everything else from 2000 onward is exactly the same except Brian Eno has hair. Huh.

Last edited:
Re: Re: How The 1990s Should Have Been

typhoon said:

First single: "Please Save Me From This 40-ft.-Lemon-less Hell."

You know what they say -

When life gives you lemons...

Make them 40 feet tall and come out of them.

Meh... this is just like re arranging deck chairs on the titanic really.

Essentially you're just regrouping songs to suit you're personally taste. Which in itself is fine and good. But we really could've achieved the same result by leaving out a bit of Pop, taking out Some Days, throwing Hold Me Kiss Me on an album and removing a few props from PopMart.

While I disagree with most of this... the main thing we are forgetting is that this scenario throw All That You Can't out by a year or so. Meaning we are still waiting for How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb to be realsed... and a tour is a looooong way off. I like where we are now...:wink:

Miggy D said:
Something to consider. I just didn't want to start inventing names of U2 songs to fill up the LP because it would have been a bit stupid.

Yet, manufacturing a faux timeline is not outside the bounds of reason. Interesting...

:sexywink:

Not that Im knocking passengers (it's too easy a target)

They should have spent the time they used making that, recording pop.

However, had Pop been an incredible success, I doubt we would have ended up with the same two successive albums we have now.

U2 in 2005 could have sounded very different.

Pinball Wizard said:

Yet, manufacturing a faux timeline is not outside the bounds of reason. Interesting...

:sexywink:

Was this thread ever about reason, though? I don't think it's wrong to use one's imagination, and to wonder about hypothetical situations. It's fun. I just thought I'd start a dialogue based on some thoughts I'd been having recently about how things could have been different in the 90s.

And to answer what someone else said about HTDAAB not coming out: the timeline sets it up so there is only 3 years between albums - 1995, 1998, 2001 - so HTDAAB could still come out on time at 2004. So there'd still be a concert this year. :)

-Miggy D

Miggy D said:

Was this thread ever about reason, though? I don't think it's wrong to use one's imagination, and to wonder about hypothetical situations. It's fun. I just thought I'd start a dialogue based on some thoughts I'd been having recently about how things could have been different in the 90s.

And to answer what someone else said about HTDAAB not coming out: the timeline sets it up so there is only 3 years between albums - 1995, 1998, 2001 - so HTDAAB could still come out on time at 2004. So there'd still be a concert this year. :)

-Miggy D

I like the idea of what you are doing, it's a bit like Back to the Future and parallel universes etc.. very cool

However you've completely forgot Passengers, which was a U2 album basically, as someone else mentioned

I personally agree with you and would have preferred that, but I do think if it hadn't been for coming through the experience of Pop and making it back to the top they wouldn't be the band they are today. Or then again, they could be even bigger, who knows?

Nah, Pop is great, Zooropa->i agree, but Stay should be on it.
You didn't make any new things, just put new album with old songs. I love Pop and i love the way it was made.

matt76 said:

I like the idea of what you are doing, it's a bit like Back to the Future and parallel universes etc.. very cool

However you've completely forgot Passengers, which was a U2 album basically, as someone else mentioned

I haven't forgotten Passengers, I just left it out. In my alternate timeline, they boys spent their time making the 1995 U2 album instead of releasing the side project under the Passengers name.

Interesting thread. Many people dislike most of Passengers. How about a fictional U2 release in 95 something like:

hold me, thrill me
I’m not your baby (U2 with Sinead O’Connor)
slug
blue room
miss Sarajevo
two shots (Bono & Edge)
goldeneye (Bono version – released by u2log at Christmas – Edge involved?)
hallelujah (Bono)
north and south of the river (U2)
tomorrow (Bono & Adam)
slow dancing (U2 with Willie Nelson)
dreaming with tears in my eyes (Bono & Larry)

A kind of mumbo jumbo mix of styles but I wonder how it would sound.

My thoughts on the matter:

released May 1993
Zooropa EP
tracklist:
01. Zooropa
02. Some Days Are Better Than Others
03. Numb
04. Lemon
05. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
06. The Wanderer

released late 1995
When You Shout I'll Only Hear You LP
01. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
02. Your Blue Room
03. Dirty Day
04. Stay (Faraway So Close!)
05. Wake Up Dead Man
06. Babyface
07. Slug
08. Miss Sarajevo
09. Slow Dancing
10. The First Time
*b-sides include Corpse, Theme From Let's Go Native, I've Got You Under My Skin

released early 1998
Pop LP
01. Discotheque
02. Last Night On Earth
03. The Face I Had Before The World Was Made (Mofo)
04. If God Will Send His Angels
05. Staring At The Sun
06. Gone
07. The Sweetest Thing (1998 version)
08. Miami
09. The Playboy Mansion
10. Please
11. If You Wear That Velvet Dress
*b-sides include Holy Joe, I'm Not Your Baby, North And South Of The River

the tourist said:
My thoughts on the matter:

released May 1993
Zooropa EP
tracklist:
01. Zooropa
02. Some Days Are Better Than Others
03. Numb
04. Lemon
05. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
06. The Wanderer

released late 1995
When You Shout I'll Only Hear You LP
01. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
02. Your Blue Room
03. Dirty Day
04. Stay (Faraway So Close!)
05. Wake Up Dead Man
06. Babyface
07. Slug
08. Miss Sarajevo
09. Slow Dancing
10. The First Time
*b-sides include Corpse, Theme From Let's Go Native, I've Got You Under My Skin

I like what you've done here - it's creative. However, I think your 1995 LP is a bit on the slow side. It doesn't have enough energy. It's an interesting idea though.

Mostly I'm angry that only 3 LPs came out in the 90s.

Back
Top Bottom