How old were you wehen you became a fan (for real this time!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How old were you when you became a fan?

• 10 or younger

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • 11-15

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • 16-21

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • 22-25

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • 26-30

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 31-35

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 36-40

• 41 or older

• Total voters

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If I'm going to be fair, I'm going to have to say 15 for me...I'd known about and liked U2 since I was 5 or 6, thanks to my mom, but it was the Popmart Tour in 1997 that really got me hooked.

i voted for 16, because that was when i got into them.

howEVER, i could have put anything as early as 4. i grew up with MTV....and in minnesota in the summer (the only time i'd be at home during the day with a babysitter who was 16) it gets really hot at noon, so we'd have "mtv time" (noting that this was back in the day when mtv didn't suck...completely) and watch videos for a while. i remember really loving "still haven't found" cos of all the lights in it (hey, i was 4, what do you expect). i also remember "mysterious ways" cos we have a painting that looks like that (all stretched with a man in black pants and a red shirt in front of a white adobe building). really, i've born witness to much of u2's past without recognizing the talent behind it.

I was 19 when I became a fan. I've always wished I had become a fan earlier. I'm sure their music would have helped me through some tough times in my junior high/high school days.

Carmanah said:
I recently wrote out my whole story of how I became an obsessed U2 fan all on my own, at the age of 12.

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58781

Carmanah, I really loved reading your story. I became a fan last year actually. I'm 24 and I feel like having missed a lot. The Elevation concert in Berlin was the most impressive thing I experienced for a long time. I went with a friend who had an extra-ticket. So I just came along, because she didn't want to go alone.

*all those nice coincidences*

When I became a fan...

It was 8 after I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday from Under a Blood Red Sky on vinyl, there's some great passion in Bono's voice and Larry's drumming to hook anyone

I was 14 and I had always thought that Freddie Mercury had the best voice in rock and roll. After he died that same year, I happen to be flipping through MTV and I saw the video for "One" and I said to myself, "You know what, THIS guy now has the best voice in rock." Thats what hooked me from the start. Bono's voice.
:bono: :yes:

I was 11, in 1988 when I heard U2 for the first time, and I took notice. I got JT, and R and H. It wasn't until 1993 though when I heard AB, and saw Bono for the first time that I became HARDCORE!!!

I remember the very night I became a U2 fan. I was staying up late to watch SNL back in 1997, since John Cleese and Michael Palin were making guest appearances. In the interim, I watched a two-hour MuchMusic special of all U2 videos (to celebrate the new Discotheque video, released that day). I was hooked.

wertsie said:

11-15 seems to be a popular choice. I wonder if it's something about the age...

[color=royal blue]Maybe fer the garls that's when the hormones are starting to kick in......

I swear my Sophomore yearbook I have Bono's name in hearts.....lol....
[/color]

JENNY said:

Carmanah, I really loved reading your story. I became a fan last year actually. I'm 24 and I feel like having missed a lot. The Elevation concert in Berlin was the most impressive thing I experienced for a long time. I went with a friend who had an extra-ticket. So I just came along, because she didn't want to go alone.

*all those nice coincidences*

Thanks for reading it! :) Elevation was definitely the most impressive thing I had ever seen too... but I'm still kicking myself for saying no to Zoo TV when I was 12. Grrrr!

Back
Top Bottom