How often have U2 chosen the best lead single for their albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How often have U2 chosen the best lead single?

• U2 made the right choice for every album (13 best choices)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • U2 have only chosen the wrong lead single once or twice (11-12 best choices)

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • U2 have generally made the best choice, but got it wrong a few times (8-10 best choices)

Votes: 28 50.0%
  • U2 have got it wrong about as often as they've got it right (6-7 best choices)

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • U2 have generally made the wrong choice, but got it right a few times (3-5 best choices)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • U2 have only chosen the best lead single once or twice (1-2 best choices)

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • U2 made the wrong choice for every album (0 best choices)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i've gone for 9 good choices...

think there were better alternatives for Boy, October, Zooropa and NLOTH

I Will Follow for Boy
Gloria for October
another one for Stay/Lemon for Zooropa
and Magnificent for NLOTH

Given the general consensus in this thread, I really wish whoever voted for just 3-5 best choices had posted their rationale. I'm admittedly curious.

Given the general consensus in this thread, I really wish whoever voted for just 3-5 best choices had posted their rationale. I'm admittedly curious.

it's got to be one of those "Rush" fans!

:wink:

I voted 6-7, though I retract that now, as I feel it's a bit harsh. The only single choices I'd argue with are ADWM, Fire, Discotheque and GYOBER. I hate Vertigo but there's no denying it was a savvy choice.

Numb and The Fly were perfect, wouldn't change a thing there. Discotheque is kinda in the maybe binder, it was the wrong kind of ballsy. Gone would have been good.

I do consider Gloria as October's first single following Marty's reasoning
I Will Follow would have made more sense for Boy

otherwise I don't see much reason to believe any of the other albums had a song that would by definition have made a better lead single (incl Boots)

I have no issue with Discotheque itself (it got to #1 here) but I'd have liked to have seen them try Mofo as the lead single.

Back
Top Bottom