How objective are we when it comes to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diemen

Resident Photo Buff
Staff member
Originally posted by U2girl:
Yes, but let's stick to U2 here, ok?

The more i think about it, the more i think that "it's U2 i like it PERIOD" is a bit too strong for what i meant.
What i meant was -
if you're listening to a U2 album for the first time, do you think you can rate it as you would rate any other band, or, because it's U2, you are more likely to rate it highly? Are you biased to U2 over other band's music?

Well, obviously yes, I am biased to U2 over other band's music. That's why U2 is my favorite band. Just like Bon Jovi fans are biased towards Bon Jovi's music and N'Sync fans are biased towards N'Sync's music - it's a very natural thing to do.

But biased to the point that I don't recognize bad writing or poor performances? No, not really. I am more willing to give U2's music a chance and try and get into songs that I don't really like at first, but I can recognize when the songs aren't up to par.

I mean, can you really be fair when evaluating U2's albums? Don't you just go "it's U2, i like it PERIOD"?

Also, when it comes to live shows, is anyone really going to say "the show was bad" even if Bono's voice was bad or the sound wasn't that great? If it's U2, i bet all of us would still love it.

Or, how do you deal with critisicm towards U2? Do you feel the need to defend them?

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-04-2001).]

That's a good question.

I never feel obliged to do anything ever other than feed my cats and be a good person.

As far as U2 is concerned, as a fan, I feel that when people state untruths, that I feel the need to "correct" the untruth - but I never feel obliged to fight for or with a person to become a fan.

As far as the albums are concerned, I strive to give U2 albums the biggest benefit of the doubt over any other artist I like - because I respect U2's motives and vision. However, if I don't like something, then I just don't like it, and I won't bother myself to listen to a song I don't like simply because U2 made it.

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
yes

Yes what?

Well, my opinion on this is:
albums: on one hand, there is no U2 album where i didn't like at least one or two songs. That's my minimum.
smile.gif

On the other hand, the first 3 U2 albums fail as a whole to me (mainly because Bono's voice is just weird), and i like 3 songs of Zooropa (the rest is just too weird).

Live shows: even though i've never been to a live show, i think i'd love it no matter what.

Critisims: (from the media or other people) generally it doesn't bother me, i just think "whatever you say can't stop me from enjoying U2's music".
But i also responded to the critisism of "Bono-and-Edge-not-playing-at-the-New-York-gala" or "Bono-weeping-into-the-flag-it's-all-staged" because i felt it was unfair and untrue. I wonder if i said anything if it was anyone else.

The larger question might be...is it really possible for anyone to be truly objective about anything? We all come to the table with biases based on our culture, family, personal tastes, experience, etc. Therefore, true objectivity does not exist, imho.
smile.gif

-sula

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
The larger question might be...is it really possible for anyone to be truly objective about anything? We all come to the table with biases based on our culture, family, personal tastes, experience, etc. Therefore, true objectivity does not exist, imho.
smile.gif

-sula

Yes, but let's stick to U2 here, ok?

The more i think about it, the more i think that "it's U2 i like it PERIOD" is a bit too strong for what i meant.
What i meant was -
if you're listening to a U2 album for the first time, do you think you can rate it as you would rate any other band, or, because it's U2, you are more likely to rate it highly? Are you biased to U2 over other band's music?

Back
Top Bottom