How much I ask?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sperber

Acrobat
I visited another U2 freak this week and he told me that U2 would have used cocaine at least during the Zooropa tour. All of them!I must admit I was a bit shocked to hear this
frown.gif
Is this true or does anyone else know something about this?

------------------
beLIEve

People will say anything. I wouldnt necesarily believe him. Though it would be dumb to assume U2 has never drank nor smoked a bit of pot.

I think we had this discussion a while back.

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair

I've heard that too - but I don't think it matters a bit, or is it necessary knowledge.

It's no secret Adam fell off the wagon during the Zooropa tour in Australia.
I can't imagine Larry doing hard drugs because he's very straight and narrow. Edge
has talked about tripping on psilocybin(sp?) mushrooms before, and I did hear reports of Bono using drugs during that tour as well.
I also think Bono has admitted to have used drugs in the past - but I can't remember the print source on that one.

I heard a rumor about Adam missing a show because he was sniffing paint our of an old beer car. Also I heard that Bono and Larry were the "crack whores" of the tour and that is was common to see them offering tricks to fans in exchange for a little bump. I guess Ali was their pimp or something. Also, supposedly, I don't if this is true so don't hold me to it, but Bono and Ali actually had another child that they sold on the internet so they could binge on uppers and downers for a night. Again, I don't know if that one is true but I think it is.

Edge is totally clean.

I don't know, Sperber...they drink (nothing serious though), Adam smokes a cigar now and then.
And i think that's it - all moderate.

I don't know - we all know about Adam's problems during Zooropa tour, and i guess it's not impossible they would have tried drugs at some point in their lives. But i really don't think they'd be doing it for a longer time.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-21-2002).]

Originally posted by wolfwill23:
....Also, supposedly, I don't if this is true so don't hold me to it, but Bono and Ali actually had another child that they sold on the internet so they could binge on uppers and downers for a night. Again, I don't know if that one is true but I think it is.

Edge is totally clean.

lmao!!!!!!!!

I heard a rumor about Adam missing a show because he was sniffing paint our of an old beer car. Also I heard that Bono and Larry were the "crack whores" of the tour and that is was common to see them offering tricks to fans in exchange for a little bump. I guess Ali was their pimp or something. Also, supposedly, I don't if this is true so don't hold me to it, but Bono and Ali actually had another child that they sold on the internet so they could binge on uppers and downers for a night. Again, I don't know if that one is true but I think it is.

Edge is totally clean.

omg
what a horrible group of people.

all of it is Naomi Campbell's fault

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by U2girl:
I don't know, Sperber...they drink (nothing serious though), Adam smokes a cigar now and then.
And i think that's it - all moderate.

I don't know - we all know about Adam's problems during Zooropa tour, and i guess it's not impossible they would have tried drugs at some point in their lives. But i really don't think they'd be doing it for a longer time.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-21-2002).]

Does Adam still smoke cigarettes?

ahh, I see, U2 are all bad people...
second in drug abuse only to the people of this forum
biggrin.gif

------------------
beLIEve

Edge is totally clean.

..... What?

------------------
Southern playalistic

Many good songs were written on drugs!
Think of Lucy in the sky with diamonds and other flower-power-hymns. I don't care whether U2 took cocaine or not.

------------------
Take the money and run

In this interview with Mother Jones magazine in 1989, Bono admits having experimented with drugs. It's an excellent interview--one of the best I've read. He talks about drugs, sex and religion, among other things.
http://www.motherjones.com/web_exclusives/features/culture/bono.html

The '60s generation celebrated both sex and drugs as liberating. Nowadays there has been a lot of bashing of both as evil. You present a fairly chaste image.

We don't.

In the movie we never even see you take a drink. We never see you doing drugs....

The idea that we would hide the drink from the camera is idiotic beyond belief. It's another clich? that redundant minds throw at U2. "You present a chaste image." Oh god!

Do you like being intoxicated?

(Raises a finger) 'Tis better to be drunk on the spirit; however, a bottle of Jack Daniel's is sometimes handier.

Do you ever find intoxicants, including psychedelics, creatively useful?

I am already on drugs. I am the sort of person who needs to take drugs to make me normal. (laughs) I have experimented. No, I don't think that it is something that everybody has to do, one, just to be alive, or two, to write great songs.

I don't mean "have to." But do you have a positive attitude towards drugs?

I'm not going to tell you that I have a positive attitude towards people who are hurting themselves. Drug abuse is a very negative thing.

Do you believe there is such a thing as drug use as opposed to abuse?

I do believe there could be.

In your own life, have you experienced ...

I don't want to talk about that. I'll give you just one example of why it would be irresponsible for me to answer your question in a certain way: I've written so many songs using heroin as an image, it might be interesting for me to tell you that, say, "I've had experiences with the drug heroin." It might be interesting for me to do it, and to own up to it.

If it were misconstrued, somebody who, for whatever reason, respects me, that might lead them to get into it. OK. If I became addicted to heroin, I can afford the trappings. I can afford the Betty Ford clinic. I can afford to have my blood changed. I can afford the trappings of being an addict. But there is some guy who lives in a room in Dublin who can't. And nobody gives a shit about his addiction!

So it is highly irresponsible for rock 'n' roll people to perpetuate the myth of drug addiction. One of the things that I get a good feeling that U2 has done is to break open the mythology of rock 'n' roll. The mythology that wearing a safety pin in your nose means you're a rebel. Shaving your head does not mean you're a rebel.

You're saying those trappings have nothing to do with the true rebellious soul of rock and roll....

Yeah, the rebellious soul. The mythology of "live fast, die young" perpetrated by rich rock 'n' roll stars sickens me. I just want to throw up on these bastards! That's because in our city, Dublin City, I've seen the place truly ravaged by drug addiction. People seriously fucked up, and people inspired by this idea of "living close to the edge."

Back
Top Bottom