How much does Bono play guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kerc said:

Singing and playing is damn hard!

yeah, it really is :huh: for some it just comes naturally, but I always have difficulty...I can only do it with certain rhythms, and as a result all my songs tend to have the same strumming pattern, so I've decided to focus on just music and do vocals later... my passion isn't really in singing anyway, I'm more of a guitar player.

Bono plays guitar a lot I'm sure... I think he's kind of shy about it, though. I think it's adorable how during the acoustic performance of Sometimes on the HTDAAB DVD he keeps looking at what Edge is doing :cute: Bono may not be the greatest guitarist ever but he can certainly do acoustics... on the HTDAAB DVD you even see him rockin' an electric for a few seconds on ABOY. Someone - I think maybe it was Lillywhite - said something to the effect of "We tried to stop Bono from playing guitar, but some of it ended up on the album anyway." I think Bono plays guitar more than he'd like to make you think, and better too... I kinda wish they'd have him louder live in the mix, because I can hardly hear him when he plays. If they're gonna have him play guitar, make it audible. Otherwise, why bother? I really don't think Bono needs to be playing guitar live anyway, except during the b-stage set... the guitar makes him restraint his singing a bit, I think... or, more accurately, his movement and audience interaction :p

Flying FuManchu said:
Bono is now a better guitar player (techincally) than the Edge.

What on earth are you talking about? I don't mean to sound rude, but the guitar is an instrument Edge has been working with for decades. Bono is a singer. Edge is a guitar player. So I'm guessing Edge devotes a LOT more time to learning/becoming technically proficient on the guitar than Bono does. I mean, the entire time Bono was out campaigning for dropping the debt and aids these last couple of years, it was Edge who was writing melodies for the new album. Edge is the music, Bono is the voice. They do other things at times, as well, but when you come right down to it, those are the roles they play.

-Miggy D

It is obvious that Bono doesn't play much on guitar in a live setting such as a tour or promotional event b/c of his vocal duties giving him more time to practice than the Edge. Bono has always wanted to be a guitar player, however. Edge has indicated that he (the Edge) doesn't believe in practicing in the typical sense. However even the greatest virtuosos must practice in order to maintain their chops b/c as they age, things do get harder and techincal skills erode. Glenn Frey and Jimmy Page come to mind. Since Bono always seems to want to have his guitar playing in the mix (studio) and is self conscious of his playing, I do not think that it is too much to assume he practices a lot.

At some point in time, I believe Edge's lack of traditional practicing and Bono's frequent practicing have made it possible for Bono to have surpassed Edge technically. Sort of like the Edge gets worse and Bono gets better. Although Edge may have a better ear or musical sense with the guitar over Bono, that doesn't mean Bono cannot have surpassed Edge in terms of techincal playing. Alah a jazz guitar player like Bill Frisell doesn't have the chops of a John McLachlan but makes up for it with his musical sense or phrasing. Same with comparing a Jeff Beck to today's speed freak virtuosos like Michael Angelo. Micahel Angelo maybe a zillion times faster than Beck and better "techincally" as well as have Beck's haircut but he will never match Beck's tone, phrasing, sense of melody, etc.

Of course one can't jump to this conclusion without some proof.

Well an excerpt from a Rolling Stone article will be my proof (August 2, 2000).

After dinner, while the Edge and I remain upstairs to talk, guitar parts spill up the stairs.

"Bono, probably," he evenly replies when I ask who's playing. When we go down, this turns out to be right: Bono has overdubbed two jagged guitar parts on "Stir My Soul."

The Edge listens. "The second half, I don't buy it," he says. "It sounds very . . . clever."

Hmmmmm.... too clever? Interesting. the article continues on with this window into the world of Bono's guitar playing...

The Edge listens to Bono's guitar parts again, then turns to me: "See what happens when I turn my back for a minute?" He replays some of Bono's part, without the bits he doesn't like, then he starts playing some more guitar of his own: simple, fuzzed-up notes close together on the fret board, which nonetheless start building and soaring.

IMO... the writer was mistaken (probably blinded by Edge's reputation). When Edge was playing/ repeating Bono's guitar music that Bono had done for Stir My Soul, the Edge played the parts that were EASY to play and skipped the DIFFICULT parts. Why else would the Edge call it "clever?" Notice that the author of the article points out that Edge continues to play Bono's song and filling it with "simple" guitar notes which can only mean that Bono's guitar music that had been playing before was difficult.

It is clear now that Bono has SURPASSED the Edge in terms of technique.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
It is obvious that Bono doesn't play much on guitar in a live setting such as a tour or promotional event b/c of his vocal duties giving him more time to practice than the Edge. Bono has always wanted to be a guitar player, however. Edge has indicated that he (the Edge) doesn't believe in practicing in the typical sense. However even the greatest virtuosos must practice in order to maintain their chops b/c as they age, things do get harder and techincal skills erode. Glenn Frey and Jimmy Page come to mind. Since Bono always seems to want to have his guitar playing in the mix (studio) and is self conscious of his playing, I do not think that it is too much to assume he practices a lot.

At some point in time, I believe Edge's lack of traditional practicing and Bono's frequent practicing have made it possible for Bono to have surpassed Edge technically. Sort of like the Edge gets worse and Bono gets better. Although Edge may have a better ear or musical sense with the guitar over Bono, that doesn't mean Bono cannot have surpassed Edge in terms of techincal playing. Alah a jazz guitar player like Bill Frisell doesn't have the chops of a John McLachlan but makes up for it with his musical sense or phrasing. Same with comparing a Jeff Beck to today's speed freak virtuosos like Michael Angelo. Micahel Angelo maybe a zillion times faster than Beck and better "techincally" as well as have Beck's haircut but he will never match Beck's tone, phrasing, sense of melody, etc.

Hmmmmm.... too clever? Interesting. the article continues on with this window into the world of Bono's guitar playing...

IMO... the writer was mistaken (probably blinded by Edge's reputation). When Edge was playing/ repeating Bono's guitar music that Bono had done for Stir My Soul, the Edge played the parts that were EASY to play and skipped the DIFFICULT parts. Why else would the Edge call it "clever?" Notice that the author of the article points out that Edge continues to play Bono's song and filling it with "simple" guitar notes which can only mean that Bono's guitar music that had been playing before was difficult.

I can't believe what I'm reading. You think that Bono is more technical than the scientist (Mr. Edge)????? Edge is musically on a completely different level than Bono. He is writes most of the music and in addition to playing lead/rythym guitar in the studio, he also does all the keyboards.

Edge has "it". A normal guitar player can practice their whole life and no matter what they do, it still won't sound good unless they have "it".
What is "it"? "It" is a sense of timing, an understanding of music, and a sensitivity to music. I have played with a guitar player who doesn't have "it". He tries so hard to be a good player. He reads all the magazines, he practices endless hours. He knows his chords, terminology, and sounds decent. He just doesn't have "it". Bono doesn't have "it" either. Only the Edge does. He is main reason why U2's music is so good. Bono is the reason why U2 has great lyrics/passion/endurance.

Flying FuManchu said:

I think perhaps you are misinterpreting what Edge meant by 'clever.' He probably meant clever as in, 'Oh look at that, how clever.' I don't think he meant it genuinely...that's why there was a pause. He probably was thinking 'It sounds so....crap.' or something, but paused and said clever in an effort to be nice. Also keep in mind he was in the presence of an interviewer. Bono's a proficient guitar player - he's been playing seriously since the mid-80s. And he does contribute to the songs. It's like when you read a novel by someone who is repeatedly trying to impress you with catchy phrases and elaborate wordplay, but really it's just a show. You can say, 'This novel is far too clever' and mean it in a way of, 'This novel has TOO MUCH excess.'

That's why Edge took notes out - the notes weren't needed, the arrangement was too 'clever'. Bono probably added a lot of little touches that Edge felt weren't necessary for the song structure. So when he 'simplified' it, he just took out all of the bullshit. That's always been Edge's style - the most significance out of the least amount of actual notes.

-Miggy D

Flying FuManchu said:

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the speculation station. Your captain today will be flying manchu. We will be cruising at approximately 6ft below sea level. Exits are here, hear, and there. No mama, we don't have peanuts and the flight isn't long enough for an inflight movie....

boosterjuice said:

I can't believe what I'm reading. You think that Bono is more technical than the scientist (Mr. Edge)????? Edge is musically on a completely different level than Bono. He is writes most of the music and in addition to playing lead/rythym guitar in the studio, he also does all the keyboards.

Edge has "it". A normal guitar player can practice their whole life and no matter what they do, it still won't sound good unless they have "it".
What is "it"? "It" is a sense of timing, an understanding of music, and a sensitivity to music. I have played with a guitar player who doesn't have "it". He tries so hard to be a good player. He reads all the magazines, he practices endless hours. He knows his chords, terminology, and sounds decent. He just doesn't have "it". Bono doesn't have "it" either. Only the Edge does. He is main reason why U2's music is so good. Bono is the reason why U2 has great lyrics/passion/endurance.

I don't believe my post really contradicts yours. Technical skill and musical taste/ imagination/ songwriting/ or the unexplainable and metaphysical IT are generally thought of as two different things. I've given examples.

I, also believe, you're being too hard on the guitar player in your band.

In additon to what I just wrote... another theory... B/C of the way U2 divides their money (which is equal five ways), Bono getting another credit outside of vocals, lyric writing, occasional music writing credit, and his small guitar parts on past U2 albums would cause problems within the "group." The issue of Bono and Edge deserving more of the pie than Larry, Adam, and Paul b/c Bono and Edge write pretty much most of the music and lyrics was revealed in Flanagan's book. They even considered changing the whole 20% per member split rule b/c of that fact. For Bono to get more of his guitar in the mix would cause an even greater imbalance.

Dalton said:

Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the speculation station. Your captain today will be flying manchu. We will be cruising at approximately 6ft below sea level. Exits are here, hear, and there. No mama, we don't have peanuts and the flight isn't long enough for an inflight movie....

I don't believe I'm any more speculative than many posts on this thread... :hmm:

People frequently quote Bono's quote (paraphrased) of "wanting badly to play guitar, but playing guitar badly" as maybe being a clue into how good of a guitar player he is. However, wasn't that quote from a while back?

I must add that I've cited a source and actually given evidence/ theories on why things maybe the way they were. The Edge theory of practice comes from a guitar book/ guitar mag interview from the 80s and doesn't seem to be a philosphy that the Edge has strayed from. Glenn Frey and Steve Vai have indicated that age affects your skills and guitar players (except for the fat liar Malmsteen) have maintained that you need to practice in order to maintain your chops. Notice how on SNL, the Edge messed up a note on "I Will Follow" when Bono placed his hand on the Edge. I Will Follow is a relatively easy song and has been played frquently by the Edge in recent years. Something like Bono's hand in the old days would not have caused the Edge to flub a note like that on a U2 standard. Signs of Edge's technical skills declining.

The above shows that the Edge must now look over his shoulder literally and figuratively b/c Bono and his "clever guitar playing" is right there behind him ready to take the reigns if the Edge falters...

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:
I think he probably plays more than people give him credit for, but I guess there's no way of knowing.

I also think the notion that "everyone knows he's not much of a guitar player" is a myth also. Maybe this was true back in 1987 or so when he joked about being a bad player and Edge giving him lessons, but not true anymore---I mean he's been playing guitar now for over 20 years! I honestly doubt he's a bad player. Compared to Edge or other great guitarists, sure he's sub par. However, in the book "Until the End of the World," Flannigan wrote something along the lines that way back in 1994 when U2 had a recording session, "bono was coming up with impressive edge-style riffs." Also, in a lot of boot DVD's from ZooTV throught he Elevation Tour, you can clearly hear Bono playing and it's impressive. Anyway, my point is that I think fans greatly exaggerate the "bono is crap at guitar" stories.

I agree! :up: Bono has become a really good guitar player and you can listen to him really well on the live version of Gone from Boston, I love to listen to him playing during that song. I also love to listen to him playing on the With Or Without You from R&H, you can totally listen to him playing the solo on his acoustic guitar and the occasional strum that sounds really good! And of course the great little intro on the acoustic version of Starring At the Sun from Popmart, you can see him doing it on the Mexico City show, I was amazed when I first heard him play that, really cool. Also the live versions of Walk On, while Edge is playing his solo, on the Slane show at the very end of Walk On, Bono slides his finger in the last chord making a sound very easy to make but of someone who has confidence enough on his guitar playing in my opinion.

By the way, on Bono being more technical than Edge, I don't think that's true. You can see on the DVD that comes with the new cd that Bono has some difficulty compared to Edge. Just because Edge said once that he doesn't practice normally it doesn't mean that he doesn't practices enough to get his chops right or something, nobody here knows that for sure. And I think you can see and feel when a guitar player has a good relationship with his guitar playing and skills Edge seems to have mastered it.

On the Walk On video, the one that was made on Brazil, there is a moment that shows Edge before he goes on stage where he is practicing a little scale exercise,since we're speculatin here that looked like a man who practices quite a bit. I think I've seen him doing that somewhere else too but I can't remember.

TheBrazilianFly said:

On the Walk On video, the one that was made on Brazil, there is a moment that shows Edge before he goes on stage where he is practicing a little scale exercise,since we're speculatin here that looked like a man who practices quite a bit. I think I've seen him doing that somewhere else too but I can't remember.

The Edge was fiddling on the flatbed truck when they were doing the NY JAMMED thing (I think when they got the guy off the street to play drums).

Maybe, the Edge is practicing more now b/c Bono's increased technical ability is making him nervous?

Flying FuManchu said:

I don't believe I'm any more speculative than many posts on this thread... :hmm:

People frequently quote Bono's quote (paraphrased) of "wanting badly to play guitar, but playing guitar badly" as maybe being a clue into how good of a guitar player he is. However, wasn't that quote from a while back?

I must add that I've cited a source and actually given evidence/ theories on why things maybe the way they were. The Edge theory of practice comes from a guitar book/ guitar mag interview from the 80s and doesn't seem to be a philosphy that the Edge has strayed from. Glenn Frey and Steve Vai have indicated that age affects your skills and guitar players (except for the fat liar Malmsteen) have maintained that you need to practice in order to maintain your chops. Notice how on SNL, the Edge messed up a note on "I Will Follow" when Bono placed his hand on the Edge. I Will Follow is a relatively easy song and has been played frquently by the Edge in recent years. Something like Bono's hand in the old days would not have caused the Edge to flub a note like that on a U2 standard. Signs of Edge's technical skills declining.

The above shows that the Edge must now look over his shoulder literally and figuratively b/c Bono and his "clever guitar playing" is right there behind him ready to take the reigns if the Edge falters...

you are not fooling me.
i know you are trying to pull a jick on everyone.
nice try, though.
bono better at guitar than edge = :laugh: :laugh: :hyper: :combust: :shocked: :rolleyes: :lmao:

:bow: :edge:

Flying FuManchu said:
Maybe, the Edge is practicing more now b/c Bono's increased technical ability is making him nervous?

Oh man, I though we were serious here. Lately this whole "Ooooh look how sarcastic I can be" thing is starting to get fucking annoying. Now I understand why older posters don't post in EYKIW anymore. Shit.

Last edited:
I think Bono likes to use the image of his being a "challenged" guitar player to comic effect with the audience on stage as a ploy to bring people up on stage to play with him and Edge.

I feel that he is a much more accomplished guitar player than he'll ever let us know.:yes:

Bono doesn't just write the lyrics for U2 - he does write some of the chords and melodies for their songs too.

Thanks for the discussion in this thread. But I wish that we could be more civil with each other when posting. It would make the thread more enjoyable. :wink:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Sorry but that about the weakest theory I've on here yet, and I've heard a few. You are using the fact that you "think" Bono practices more, a few Edge quotes taken out of context, and a few moments where Bono came up with a guitar part instead of Edge to say Bono is better than the Edge technically. Wow that's comedy.

Some evidence would help. Usually theories have some evidence. Like may you know for sure that Bono puts in more time than Edge and has taken lessons outside of U2. Maybe put the quotes in context and figure out what Edge was really saying. Or better yet show some proof on stage or in the studio.

Then you may have an argument. Right now you just have a means to which make people get all riled up.

Kudos to you though for taking the time.:wink:

Acrobat_Al said:
In HTDAAB he only sings, you can see it in the credits of the album (BONO - VOCALS; EDGE - GUITARS)

He plays in only one song, i think...

If I remember right, 2 or 3 songs on HTDAAB state "additional guitar Bono".

I also remember an interview on CNN, when ATYCLB came out, Bono was asked whether he can read notes, and he said no and that while he envies other members of U2 their musical abilities, he can put down a melody on guitar.

As for practising, they all practice - if not before they will practice for the tour.

As an example of Bono distinctly playing guitar, listen to With Or Without You, 4 August 1987, Birmingham. I can hear him loud and clear strumming during Edge's solo.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I remember on the Classic Albums - The Joshua Tree, Daniel Lanois gave Bono credit for a guitar part I always assumed that the Edge played, so he probably plays a lot more guitar than we know.
Out of curiosity, which part?
kerc said:
Didn't Bono play the solo of "Dancing Barefoot"? I think he has improved thru all these years.
I think there are a couple of solos in that one. I remember reading an Adam quote that alludes to Bono's solo, so one of the lead guitars is probably his (and not just an overdubbed Edge).

U2girl said:

If I remember right, 2 or 3 songs on HTDAAB state "additional guitar Bono".

Just to add to that, I looked in the booklet and Bono is credited with guitar on Miracle Drug, One step closer and Yahweh.

Bono's guitar is usually low in the mix. He is an awful guitar player. In the Elevation Tour, you can only distinctly hear him during Kite but while he straps his guitar during I Will Follow or Walk On, he can hardly be heard in the mix. Even in the Rattle and Hum dvd performance of WOWY, his guitar isn't really him but is one of the major parts that were overdubbed in the studio for the film.

Bono is a lyricist and singer before being a guitar player. His guitars are usually for decorative purposes only. Check out I Will Follow in Boston, the guitar isn't really essential and U2 have managed with this song without Bono's guitar so why does he need it just now? In Popmart Mexico, Bono does a total of four seconds of adlibs with the guitar in the beginning of SATS but that's about it.

If you want to see Bono actually pull of an electric guitar solo, check out the December 30, 1989 version of AIWIY - Bono does a solo to end the song while Edge does his traditional ringing sounds. Just to clarify, it is the December 30 show and not the New Year's Eve show.

But generally, there is a reason why Bono is the singer and not the guitar player. In the few times he does pick up the guitar, it is a non-essential part and his guitar is either unplugged or really low in the mix. Bono has never been known as a decent guitar playing frontman like Bon Jovi for example. But Bono more than makes up for it in other departments.

Cheers,

J

It's cool to know Bono has improved his guitar playing. I would say that at least it makes for a more solid band, especially live where you can't (fully) depend on multiple tracks.

I do know that I'll *never* see Bono jammin' some blues in Bb.

:D

Or who knows?! :huh:

I was just watching and old MTV documentary about the Joshua tree tour. And it shows Bono sitting in a plane with a guitar alone, playing and singing some blues kind of song.
It didn´t sound too pretty, but bono has his own kind of strumming style..
And in lots of unofficial bootleg shows, you can hear Bono quite well. You´ll know it when the strumming starts :wink: He did a good job in The Fly during the zoo tour.

I would bet Bono is pretty good on guitar.

I picked up learning to play a few years ago, and I've learned 2 things.

1) It's tough to learn initially
2) Once you think you are pretty good, try singing along while playing your favorite song. It'll be alot harder than you think.

I think bono's guitar is turned low to allow for playing mistakes while singing.

Also, it's hard to hear an acoustic guitar make it way pass the bass/drums/electric guitar/keyboards anyway.

On the DVD that came with HTDAAB Steve Lillywhite makes a comment about how they try to discourage Bono from playing guitar but every once in awhile he bleeds onto some the tracks (or words to that effect).

He's not very confidant on the guitar has he is constantly having to look at his fingering and he really sucks on air guitar (Temple Bar version of Vertigo)! However, he can come with some very nice melodies but he really needs to leave guitar playing to the pros:)

I saw U2 in Brooklyn and for a song or two he had the green goal is soul guitar up and played. While getting ready to play actually, and struming along he looked at the audience, siled that charming mile of his and said"There's a reason I don't play the guitar that much"

hee hee

Back
Top Bottom