How many U2 albums do you feel are truly "complete"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The other one I suppose is UF

I agree, drop 4th of July, but not EPAA. The story behind it is just too good!

Side A

A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
Indian Summer Sky
Love Comes Tumbling

Side B

Bad
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
The Three Sunrises
MLK
Elvis Presley and America (unlisted Bonus)

For Zooropa I would've liked to see it with the earlier verson of The First Time and re-record Dirty Day, making it more harder and louder.

I don't get the 4th of July hate. The highs of Wire and UF flow perfectly onto the soothing Promenade and 4th of July, which follows onto the slow buildup and amazing climax of Bad. The only problem with the album is post-ISS.

The other one I suppose is UF

I agree, drop 4th of July, but not EPAA. The story behind it is just too good!

Side A

A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire
Indian Summer Sky
Love Comes Tumbling

Side B

Bad
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
The Three Sunrises
MLK
Elvis Presley and America (unlisted Bonus)

This is a good-looking tracklist. The only thing I'd change is to move MLK after Bad so as to intro into UF, and put Bass Trap at the very end.

while i agree a swap of bass trap for 4th of july could help, what i don't get is all the love for love comes tumbling and three sunrises. adding either of those songs makes the album worse. they are both very much the defintion of b-sides.

i know uf is a little bit short, but adding two very mediocre song omly makes it longer, but no better.

while i agree a swap of bass trap for 4th of july could help, what i don't get is all the love for love comes tumbling and three sunrises. adding either of those songs makes the album worse. they are both very much the defintion of b-sides.

i know uf is a little bit short, but adding two very mediocre song omly makes it longer, but no better.

If you're going to state opinion as fact, so will I.

FALSE. WRONG. FALSE. :wink:

Boomerang II, Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, and Bass Trap all are definitely A-side quality.

MLK's not a real song on its own, EPAA is OK, and 4th of July is average.

If you're going to state opinion as fact, so will I.

FALSE. WRONG. FALSE. :wink:

fair enough.

fwiw, i think the length of unforgettable fire is just right. its one album, i don't get all the rearranging and adding of tracks.

maybe its just because i grew up with this album and never even considered changing any of it until recently with threads like this. nothing i have seen proposed seems to improve it at all. what do i know? :shrug:

Boomerang II, Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, and Bass Trap all are definitely A-side quality.

MLK's not a real song on its own, EPAA is OK, and 4th of July is average.

i guess its all a matter of opinion.

boomerang II sounds like a sketch of a song to me, with very little going on. i don't see anywhere near the quality of the songs that made the album, with the the exception of 4th of july. i really don't think its any better than 4th of july though, and at least with that track it seems to serve a purpose as an intro to bad.

love comes tumbling, is the type of u2 song i can't stand (luckily there are very few of them) reminds me of stateless and hands that built america. the three together make the trinity of boring.

three sunrises, is ok but to me, nowhere near as good as ep&am or mlk. it sounds to me like a b-side from war more than from the uf sessions and doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the album.

I think most of the songs that ended up as b-sides around the time of Unforgettable Fire / Joshua Tree / R&H didn't end up as a b-side because of lacking quality, but because of not being able to mesh with "the album"

of course my view of this is heavily distorted by being so used to hearing the albums as a whole that I could never imagine other songs there
whether I prefer those songs or not

Just found this thread. I think U2 have done a good job throughout their career of making cohesive studio albums. TUF and JT being the two most obviously seamless and "complete" ones by my estimation.

Honestly the only 80's album that doesn't seem "complete" to me is Rattle and Hum because, as Axver said on page one (really enjoyed reading your post Axver :up:), it isn't really an album!

Thinking about it some more...I wouldn't even change any of the 90's albums either.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB, errr, maybe something could be done with those. I don't know.

But uhhh, yeah, U2 rawks!

:D

Pop, I think, is the only album I listen to from start to finish. The songs just flow together nicely that I forget it's playing.

Back
Top Bottom