How many songs on this album should be played live per show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think all of the songs should be played live at some time or other. However, I always wonder if some of the live versions of the song will suffer b/c of the number of guitars used and the fact Bono won't be able to sing with his all and play effectively at the same time. For instance, Yahweh, A Man and a Woman, etc... if they become a shadow their album versions, I prefer not to hear it (alah Do You Feel Loved, IGWSHA, In a Little While, etc.). Hell, ABOY sounds weaker live with just Edge doing his chimey guitar and Bono playing an accoustic....

Last edited:
As of right now, I want every single song done. In fact, they should pull a Pink Floyd and play the first 11 songs in order right off the Bomb. After that, they could go nuts and play 12-14 songs of their choosing. Thats just how I feel about this album right now.

I would like for all 11 songs to be played live as well, even if it's not every song every night. Just from looking at the past, U2 will probably play almost all of the songs at first, and drop a few as the tour goes on.

I think we'll hear all the songs sometime during the next tour. I think the following will be played everynight:

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Love Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Yaweh

zoopop said:
I think we'll hear all the songs sometime during the next tour. I think the following will be played everynight:

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Love Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Original of the Species
Yaweh

I agree, except I think they might drop OOTS towards the end of the tour.

Roland of Gilead said:
As of right now, I want every single song done. In fact, they should pull a Pink Floyd and play the first 11 songs in order right off the Bomb. After that, they could go nuts and play 12-14 songs of their choosing. Thats just how I feel about this album right now.

That would be absolutely incredible if they decided to do something like that. All of these songs SHOULD be played live, though I can imagine One Step Closer being omitted. I can't pick what they'll play ... I don't envy them, attempting to choose. Hopefully we'll have varied sets to accommodate all the songs.

I think that list sounds about right...maybe they'll mix in one or two more, but I doubt it. Even those songs I wonder about, given the HAGGARD sound of Bono's voice during their second US jaunt, last time out.

That said, I think that in an ideal world, the band should play EVERY song from the album EVERY night--they will, after all, be touring IN SUPPORT of this new album. As far as I'm concerned, that should just be the rule, you know? U2 or not, that's the sort of jazz that all bands should be doing. If the song can't be played live, then why record it?

I understand that that theory may not apply to literally ALL bands, but U2 stresses time after time after time, year after year after year, that they're a TOURING band that has to be on the road to keep themselves going. With that in mind, they should know how to play/be capable of playing all of their songs in a live setting. I'll survive if they don't (I don't really love all these songs, after all), and I don't at all expect them to....but that's the way it should be. In my opinion, of course... :wink:

I think they will stick with these songs

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
SYCMIOYO
LAPOE
ABOY
CFYT
OSC (maybe just acoustic, Edge and Bono)

They should definately play Vertigo, Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, All Because of You, and Original of the Species. That's the minimum. I would like to see them throw in Sometimes, One Step Closer, and Yahweh as the show closer.

Of course, Love and Peace or Else would be fantastic live, but if I had to choose I'd probably sacrifice it to some of the more inspired songs on the album.

Last edited:
nicholsfornixon said:
I would like to see them throw in Sometimes, One Step Closer, and Yahweh as the show closer.

One.
Step.
CLOSER (Close-r...?)

Get it?
:|

rjhbonovox said:
In a Little while was great live who said it wasn't further up in this thread?

I didn't say it, but I'll sure second it. His voice sounded not at all unlike a shovel being dragged across an asphalt driveway... I saw 'em five times on that tour, and they played "In a Little While" three times--it was worse with each passing performance. Beastly.

I imagine that Bono might sings snippets of One Step Closer during or in between songs.

Back
Top Bottom