How many shows would U2 have to do to meet the demand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
On the Vertigo tour, almost every show sold out immediately. Which means that the demand was not met. The only places where we can honestly say the demand was met was Sydney, Honolulu, St. Louis and Detroit, due to the length of time it took those shows to sell out, and in the case Hawaii and 3rd Sydney, didn't fully sell out. I've been thinking a lot lately about the prospect of oversaturation, demand and all that. How many shows in what markets do you think U2 could do?

Let's suppose prices stay roughly the same as the Vertigo tour for the next tour (I HOPE THEY DO!!!)

and how much did you pay for Vertigo ticket? :huh: my Dad took me to see U2 in Cardiff and told me instead of paying him back for the ticket it was a gift for finishing my last year at school - but the ticket was £85 for a pretty high up seat at the side (felt pretty guilty to be honest) so you'll have to forgive me for hoping the prices aren't the same...at least for that far back in the stadium :wink:

paddyu2 said:
and how much did you pay for Vertigo ticket? :huh: my Dad took me to see U2 in Cardiff and told me instead of paying him back for the ticket it was a gift for finishing my last year at school - but the ticket was £85 for a pretty high up seat at the side (felt pretty guilty to be honest) so you'll have to forgive me for hoping the prices aren't the same...at least for that far back in the stadium :wink:

Wow, that's insane. I went to gigs in the US, Australia, and New Zealand, and the General Admission tickets were respectively US$49, AUS$99, and NZ$99.

On the original topic of how many shows U2 could do in various markets, my observations about the sales in Australia and New Zealand:

Brisbane and Adelaide could have probably supported a second show. Brisbane in particular. I was rather surprised just how fast it sold out - under 2 hours. Melbourne might have been able to support a third, though like Sydney, I'm skeptical it would have sold out. Two shows at the bigger MCG would have been a good idea (I think it can do about 75-80,000 for concerts compared to a bit over 55,000 at the Telstra Dome), but I'm told sound there is absolutely shithouse. And no doubt U2 could do at least one show at Subiaco in Perth.

In New Zealand, two Auckland gigs wasn't nearly enough. A remarkable amount of people travelled up from other parts of the country. I think the Lovetown approach would've worked again:

1 show at Lancaster Park (fuck off "Jade Stadium" or whatever it's called now), Christchurch
1 show at the Cake Tin, aka Westpac Stadium, Wellington
1-2 shows at Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland

They've got to at least do one gig in either Wellington or the South Island next time around. The market's there.

Axver said:
Two shows at the bigger MCG would have been a good idea (I think it can do about 75-80,000 for concerts compared to a bit over 55,000 at the Telstra Dome), but I'm told sound there is absolutely shithouse.

:no: From Reports of what I heard from friends who went to The Police concert......I hope U2 don't play at the G!

Apparently they didn't "fully sellout" the ground so people could still see and hear well....from a few people I know that went, they got neither.

And they had to put up with Fergie!

Yeah, as much as the MCG would help cater for the demand left over from the two Telstra Dome shows without running the risk of not selling out a 3rd show, I've heard that it's really just a big cavern of echoes and washy sound.

Of course, according to that now-deleted Annhilation Tour article on Wikipedia, their new strategy to cater for demand in Melbourne is play my backyard. :wink:

instead of another Brisbane show, i'd definitely do a Gold Coast show. the boys love the place, they were up at Palazzo Versace for the tour i hear

but Adelaide could do another, for sure. as many as possible in Australia please. i am so keen for following the band.

Eazy-V said:
instead of another Brisbane show, i'd definitely do a Gold Coast show. the boys love the place

The Boys might love the place....but its up to Mr.McMoneybags.....I mean Mr. Paul Mac to see if there's enough profit to be made! :wink:

I'm not sure the Gold Coast would make sense. Playing two gigs in Brisbane would be cheaper than doing one there, carting their huge stage setup down the road, and doing another at the new Robina stadium or wherever. Brisbane pretty effectively covers the southeast Queensland market anyway - it's not like anyone on the Gold Coast is saying "oh it's too far to go to Brisvegas!"

Of course, when I lived on the Gold Coast, I wanted to think a Gold Coast show was a good idea too. :wink:

You've got a shiny new inflatable stadium. :wink: My family lives up in Tallai, and when I went back at Christmas, the stadium is very conspicious in the view and looks like something inflatable, or perhaps a big fluffy marshmallow!

Eastern and southeastern Europe... Didn't get any shows (bar a few exceptions) for the last couple of tours.

God knows why. The crowds are awesome, every single band that comes in these areas is truly humbled by the reception.

djerdap said:
Eastern and southeastern Europe... Didn't get any shows (bar a few exceptions) for the last couple of tours.

God knows why. The crowds are awesome, every single band that comes in these areas is truly humbled by the reception.

Paul McGuinness's touring plans are stuck in the 1980s and he thinks the Wall is still there.

djerdap said:

That may be but I suspect it's not economically wise to tour these countries.

Given McGuinness's love for $$$, could the present weakness of the dollar against other currencies have any effects on U2's touring plans, or am I just overcomplicating things? Rationally, I can't see why this should be a problem, but who knows?

As far as demand in the U.S. goes for U2 concerts (assuming tickets are priced similarly to Vertigo tour):

U2 has built up enough demand in the USA to play several large arena shows (15-20k occupancy) in large cities like L.A., Chicago, New York, Boston, etc. In cities like New York, Chicago, L.A., U2 can easily do 5+ total arena shows per tour, which is about 80-100k total attendance in those cities. This means that in those cities, U2 could probably get away with doing 1-2 stadium shows, if they ever attempt stadium shows in the USA again. However, stadium shows in most other U.S. cities would be impractical, as U2 usually play 1-2 arena shows in most other cities (Like Dallas, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Seattle, etc).

I doubt U2 will try stadiums again in the USA since the popmart tour left many shows half empty. It would sure be awesome if they did though!

Axver said:

Paul McGuinness's touring plans are stuck in the 1980s and he thinks the Wall is still there.

How about we drop some resume's off at U2 HQ (if its finished being built)

And apply to design the tour, geographically and setlistically?

bono_man2002 said:
How about we drop some resume's off at U2 HQ (if its finished being built)

And apply to design the tour, geographically and setlistically?

This sounds like a good plan. I take it you're paying for the airfares to Dublin? :wink:

Axver said:
You've got a shiny new inflatable stadium. :wink: My family lives up in Tallai, and when I went back at Christmas, the stadium is very conspicious in the view and looks like something inflatable, or perhaps a big fluffy marshmallow!
i'm actually not far from the stadium at all, i think at night when its lit up it's going to look gorgeous

Axver said:

This sounds like a good plan. I take it you're paying for the airfares to Dublin? :wink:

You're flying around the country to go see Porcupine Tree, I'm sure one more...small flight won't hurt your bank account too much :wink:

bono_man2002 said:
You're flying around the country to go see Porcupine Tree, I'm sure one more...small flight won't hurt your bank account too much :wink:

:lol: Yeah, Dublin really isn't that far, now is it? :wink:

And have I forced PT onto you? $70.70, 25/04 ...

bono_man2002 said:

:no: From Reports of what I heard from friends who went to The Police concert......I hope U2 don't play at the G!

Apparently they didn't "fully sellout" the ground so people could still see and hear well....from a few people I know that went, they got neither.

And they had to put up with Fergie!

Fergie was actually really good, especialy London Bridge and Glamourous.

The audio was pretty poor at the 'G....and ticketmaster lied about the stage position, which was supposed to be in the centre of the ground, not out on the Southern Stand Wing.

They only sold 40,000 of 60,000 tickets for Police. Shame really....

Axver said:

:lol: Yeah, Dublin really isn't that far, now is it? :wink:

And have I forced PT onto you? $70.70, 25/04 ...

Anzac Day!....well...maybe It'll be a day off work.....geez I'd have to dust of my PT Mp3's......

bono_man2002 said:
Anzac Day!....well...maybe It'll be a day off work.....geez I'd have to dust of my PT Mp3's......

I'm surprised they're playing on ANZAC Day, but hey, it's convenient!

And if you're coming over on Saturday, I'll surely be cranking PT. :wink:

Axver said:

I'm surprised they're playing on ANZAC Day, but hey, it's convenient!

And if you're coming over on Saturday, I'll surely be cranking PT. :wink:

I'll have a think about it.....Its been like a year since I've really had a good listen to PT (I did give them a great run for quite a while back then)

I brought the new album and really gave it a spin once when I first got it, and have neglected it since :reject:

Mr.Setlist guru.....what songs are they playing from the Stupid Dream/In Absentia albums?

bono_man2002 said:
I'll have a think about it.....Its been like a year since I've really had a good listen to PT (I did give them a great run for quite a while back then)

I brought the new album and really gave it a spin once when I first got it, and have neglected it since :reject:

Mr.Setlist guru.....what songs are they playing from the Stupid Dream/In Absentia albums?

FOABP is a great album and should not be neglected. :tsk:

From Stupid Dream, they've lately been playing Even Less at most gigs and A Smart Kid at about a third to a half. I'm hoping they bring Piano Lessons back out of the woodwork. Don't Hate Me was done last tour but not yet on this one.

From In Absentia, Blackest Eyes and Trains essentially never miss a gig. The Sound Of Muzak is done at about a third to a half. .3 is a rarity. If you've heard Drown With Me, a bonus track on some editions of In Absentia, it's been done at about a half of the shows on this tour.

intedomine said:

Fergie was actually really good, especialy London Bridge and Glamourous.

The audio was pretty poor at the 'G....and ticketmaster lied about the stage position, which was supposed to be in the centre of the ground, not out on the Southern Stand Wing.

They only sold 40,000 of 60,000 tickets for Police. Shame really....

It was a pretty good show regardless; although I'd much rather Kanye over Fergie any day of the week.

Be interesting if U2 play the MCG - although I do think they'd have to play more than one show even then. Demand was pretty high for them as far as I remember...

< off-topic >

bono_man2002 said:

You know what? I'm so bored I'll just give a rundown of what they've been playing. This naturally could change, since it's their first visit to Australia and it will have been over four months since they've played a gig. But so far, album by album:

The Sky Moves Sideways: The Sky Moves Sideways (Phase One)
Signify: Waiting (Phase One), Sever, Dark Matter
Stupid Dream: Even Less, A Smart Kid
Lightbulb Sun: Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, Hatesong
In Absentia: Blackest Eyes, Trains, The Sound Of Muzak, .3
Futile EP: Drown With Me
Deadwing: Lazarus, Halo, Mellotron Scratch, Open Car
Deadwing DVD-A: Mother And Child Divided
Lazarus single: Half Light
Fear Of A Blank Planet: Fear Of A Blank Planet, My Ashes, Anesthetize, Sentimental, Way Out Of Here, Sleep Together
Nil Recurring: Nil Recurring, Cheating The Polygraph, What Happens Now? (Normal has only been done once, at an acoustic in-store appearance)

Now, some of those are locks for every gig, like FOABP, Anesthetize, Blackest Eyes, Trains, and Halo, while some, like The Sky Moves Sideways, are only done every 3rd or 4th show and Mother And Child Divided has appeared to have vanished. This tour has had great setlist variation.

Now back to your regularly scheduled U2 discussion ...

< /off-topic >

Yeah, U2 if they did happen to play the G would definitely need to do two shows. It would provide a boost in capacity of about 30,000 on the Telstra Dome over the course of 2 shows, I think. But hell, I think demand is such that they'd be better off doing 3 gigs at the Telstra Dome.

Back
Top Bottom