How many of you still wear your ONE bracelet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So here's a question to those who don't wear it anymore. What is the reason you don't wear it? Is it because it was interesting to be a part of this thing back in 2005 but now you've forgotten about it? Or does it seem a little "latch on to the latest cause just to look cool" kinda thing? I stopped wearing it sometime in 2006 or 2007 because I don't see what I'm gonna do or how I'm gonna help by continuing to wear it. :slant:

U2democrat said:
It was one of the originial ones too, with the indented rather than raised letters.

:ohmy: I have the original one then! It needs some good cleaning though. :lol:

I wore mine for a few months after I got it, but not since. It slid up & down too much. Plus, I've had a bracelet I got in Costa Rica tied to my wrist for a few years, and I'd rather not have a million things on my arm.

on my second one bracelet... I have been wearing it everyday since March 2005. :D It's basically a part of me I only take it off when I shower.

And it's the original one with indented letters not the raised ones..

U2democrat said:
I would still wear mine but my niece took it and I don't know where it is anymore :(

It was one of the originial ones too, with the indented rather than raised letters.

Laura,
I have some extras of the original one (indented letters) I could send ya one! PM me if you are interested..:D

I took mine off years ago, and haven't worn it since. Don't even remember where I put it. Wearing the plastic always annoyed me - I just didn't like how it felt, so I took it off for good. Plus, my wrists are really tiny. I have one of the originals too, and wore it during the tour, but there didn't seem much point in wearing it after that.

I can't answer your question Zoots about why some people have stopped wearing theirs, but I can say why I'm one who still does wear mine. Definitely not to look cool, because now that not so many people wear these type of bands anymore, I feel much more uncool. :wink:
Not many people ask me about it anymore, but once in awhile someone does, and I'll tell them about One, and that was the only reason to ever wear it from the beginning.

Zootlesque said:
So here's a question to those who don't wear it anymore. What is the reason you don't wear it? Is it because it was interesting to be a part of this thing back in 2005 but now you've forgotten about it? Or does it seem a little "latch on to the latest cause just to look cool" kinda thing? I stopped wearing it sometime in 2006 or 2007 because I don't see what I'm gonna do or how I'm gonna help by continuing to wear it. :slant:

I stopped wearing it because I was sick of forgetting to take it off when I got dressed for a night out and I was afraid I was gonna break it. It sits on my dresser now.

(and I proudly have an original)

i don't care if it's cool or not.. For me it is my way of supporting the cause whether anyone asks about it or not.. It makes me think of what this bracelet really means everyday I look at it.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
i don't care if it's cool or not.. For me it is my way of supporting the cause whether anyone asks about it or not.. It makes me think of what this bracelet really means everyday I look at it.

:up:

I wear it all the time actually. And as much as it's helpful to get other people's attention it is so to keep myself reminded of the importance of these issues, and communicating what I know and believe to others. It reminds me that everyday I need to present what I stand for, and be active in affecting the change I want to see in the world.

Perhaps I should keep this to myself, but...I really don't see how wearing this bracelet will change the world in any significant fashion. Simply making people aware of poverty in Africa won't put an end to it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for optimism. However, speaking as one who was born in Africa and grew up in Africa, there is simply no way to eradicate poverty without putting an end to corruption first.

And like that's ever going to happen...

Well, yes, just wearing the bracelet alone is not what will change things. And awareness is a small step, but if it leads down the line to the people in Africa who do live there, taking steps toward changing their future, it's something, however small. And I mean this by way of something like, it could just be helping a child stay alive for one more day. Who knows what that child might do for their country or their continent in their lifetime. Baby steps maybe, but steps. :(

ewings said:
I put mine on May 9, 2005, before the Chicago concert; I've not taken it off since then. :wink:

Good work! I took mine off about the beginning of '07 for a while, then I lost it.

bonocomet said:
Well, yes, just wearing the bracelet alone is not what will change things. And awareness is a small step, but if it leads down the line to the people in Africa who do live there, taking steps toward changing their future, it's something, however small. And I mean this by way of something like, it could just be helping a child stay alive for one more day. Who knows what that child might do for their country or their continent in their lifetime. Baby steps maybe, but steps. :(

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom