How many more albums of all new material for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How many more albums of all new material?

• None, they're going out on top very soon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1, the next one will be it

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • 2, they need to complete the 90s trilogy

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • 3, it'll be some time before they end it

Votes: 21 36.8%
  • 4 or more, there's no quit in these guys!

Votes: 20 35.1%

• Total voters

Foxxern

Refugee
Not to be a pessimist talking about the end of U2, but you have to admit they're getting up there in years. They have families, as well as other obligations, and they can no longer just focus on making new music all the time. I think that after this next album, we could see a serious tapering down in the amount of new material they put out.

So I pose a simple question: How many more albums of all new material do you think will be put out under the U2 name (including the one that will likely some out next fall)? I'm not talking about soundtrack compilations, or solo efforts, or Best Of's or anything like that. I mean albums like JT, AB, or ATYCLB. How many more do you think they have in them? Of course we all hope they can do it for a long long time, but let's see what everyone thinks about the future of this band.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think 4 or more. Perhaps they'll do another 5 or 6 albums with some tours and then after about 15 to 20 years they 'retire'.

I can hardly believe that Bono would sit down and do nothing at all after one next album. 'He's a poets. He's a philosopher......' and those people can't switch of what they're feeling just because they're tired of it. And I think Adam, Edge and Larry feel the same for music is they're life.

I say 2 definitely (inclduing the forthcoming new studio album)...a third is a possibility, but it depends on how quickly they want to put stuff out.

at least 3
there is no point in stopping now
ATYCLB has put U2 back on top of the game for the first time since ZOO TV

I can't see more than 2 more albums and 2 more tours.. they're getting older, and will want to spend more time with their families.

HelloAngel said:
I can't see more than 2 more albums and 2 more tours.. they're getting older, and will want to spend more time with their families.
i agree. besides, they seem to like to do things in threes (like they do a major overhaul of their sound after every three albums it seems) so i think they'll either do 2 more or 5 more. :wink:

At least another 8. I'd like to see them geriatric and nappy clad chanting away until they've drawn their final breath....

they've got 1 ready to go, and there's not been even the slightest whisper from the U2 camp of them quitting after this album, so I would say that pretty much secures 2 more albums, that would place them in about 2006? I think 1 more after that is possible and that would take us to about 2010 by the time it's released and they've toured, Bono will probably become Mayor of Dublin after that, Edge will be just "Dave" by then, Adam will be shaggin' the finally-of-age PLEBA girls, and Larry will be bald

U2 in age are about where the Stones were in 1982. Notice the Rolling Stones are still going in 2002. I think U2 will outlast even the Stones.

STING2 said:
U2 in age are about where the Stones were in 1982. Notice the Rolling Stones are still going in 2002. I think U2 will outlast even the Stones.

The Stones probably should have retired when Bill Wyman left the band. At least they didn't put out a new album for this tour. They are basically a nostalgia act now. Yes, they are giving the people what they want, but I would hate to see U2 end up like that. I would like to see U2 go out on top at a peak rather than decay & become another dinosaur band. I know they have more self respect than that. They have already given us 20 plus years of great music. I'd be happy with another 10. I can't see Bono singing "The Fly" or "Bad" when he's pushing 60, maybe he will, but will he do the songs justice? If we can get 2 or 3 more albums with the quality of ATYCLB I'll be very happy. I'd like to see the "Psychedelic Country" record Bono once spoke of that he wanted to make one day. I could envision him making records like Johnny Cash does now one he reaches his sixties. All I know is I'm sure we have several more years of great U2 music to come. :yes:

STING2 said:

I don't think I want to see U2 end up like the Stones. I mean, I have a lot of repect for what the Stones have done, though I was never a huge fan of their music. But at the same time, there aren't a whole lot of teens and people in their 20s who are fans of the band. I haven't been to a show, but I would guess that the majority of people there are in their 30s and 40s. When I saw U2, the average fans' age was probably about 27 or so. If a band wants to stay "cool", I think they need to be able to connect with a younger audience.

Bono seems to already be having trouble hitting some of the higher notes, and I don't think he'll let is keep getting worse while the band is out on tour. Besides, at this point, his politcal efforts seem to be at least as important to him as the band. I get worried about a generation of kids knowing him as "Bono--political activist", rather than "Bono--greatest rock star in the world".

i can see 2 - 4 more albums, at least :evil: .

sure they miss theyre families but i dont think after 25 years they'll stop doing what they like.

sure I like the Stones, but in comparison with U2 they dont have much relevance or the ability to create new sounds or new feelings within their music that U2 does.
U2 also has the ability to capture new audiences I'm not saying like teenybopping-MTV-generation but at least some college, early 20's kind of people.
And with the new audience they've captured with ATYCLB they probably have no intention of calling it quits especially after a great response. And plus the album sounds like the beginning of something new, like AB in the early 90's.

and plus what would bono do without 20,000 people screaming his name, now thats insanity :hmm: :bono:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom