How long have you been a U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
been a long and very pleasant experience

I heard Gloria on the radio, I was stunned...never heard such heart in a song. Then New Year's Day, then the Red Rocks concert video....been dedicated and delighted for 20+ years. They never cease to amaze me.:heart: :edge: :larry: :adam: :bono: :heart: :bow:

I first got into U2 in 1989 when I listened to Rattle and Hum on tape. I was only 12 though, so the music didn't really sink in until 1991 when I rediscovered them. Yeah, it was either 91 or early 92 when I saw the video for Mysterious Ways and I didn't even know it was U2. I thought it was some new hip alternative college band that was on MTV. Cos that was the whole era of the college band and alternative band uprising and MTV actually played some cool videos by some cool bands at that time. But I was blown away by the video and song and it didn't seem like the 'old' U2 to me.

lets see...i became a fan when i was 12 years old...now im 31...

19 years:)

anyone beginning their fanship after the war tour= "a newbie":angry:

thank u-
daimond
;)

Last edited:
i have been a fan since '84. (that's what my "84" stands for). i was fourteen years old then. i remember it so well. the unforgettable fire on casstte tape...i still have it. i also have band-aid's "do they know it's christmas?" on vinyl, which i believe came out the same year? i bought that one because of bono, too. so i've been a fan for...nineteen years.

Will you just shut up? How many freakin times are you going to post that??
You're really getting on my nerves today. :angry:

I must say I feel like a brat compared to some of the veterans here. ;)

*shrug* I heard NYD and SBS on my brother's radio - and I thought I'd never heard anything like it before. Then I saw the Streets video and thought "Wow, what energy."

I guess what really turned me over was the time when I heard AB on my brother's radio. It was just incredible - the guitars, the anguished voice won me over immediately. Then I started making U2 tapes and seriously looking out for their music and videos.

Being here didn't help LOL...

My sister gave me JT and ATYCLB. I listened to Where The Streets have No Name and thought" Wow, they're better than the Backstreet Boys. Why didn't listen to this group before?" By the end of Bullet The Blue Sky, I was hooked.

martha said:

*raises hand*

Since I heard I Will Follow on the radio. So, close to 23 years. I'm old, but Bono's older!! :D

The older the fan, the more U2 that has been enjoyed :up: :yes: Consider yourself lucky! :)

Bono: I am NOT old. I'm only at halftime baby :D

globebeauty.jpg

Well in Sep. 97 my Cousin was doing an article on the Sarajevo concert for a UK magazine. Being around 15 at the time, I've only heard "one" before and didn't know much about the band but I thought the Lemon looked cool so I begged to tag along. Needless to say I was hooked ever since.

martha said:

*raises hand*

Since I heard I Will Follow on the radio. So, close to 23 years. I'm old, but Bono's older!! :D

:wave: Same here Martha.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the band on the Gloria video. Bono with blond tipped hair :drool:

wertsie said:

That would be cool!

I know someone who was at Woodstock!
My dad broke into Woodstock after picking up a hitchiker on the way. He is therefore the coolest person I will ever know. when I asked him why he broke in when the hitchiker had tickets, he just shrugged and said, "There was a fence in the way."

I don't remember not knowing all the words to any given U2 song. I knew all the words to SBS and NYD when I was little. I watched Live Aid on TV when I was 6 and sang along with SBS. I knew all the words to WOWY when I was eight. And then along came the New Kids on the Block...*shudder* :censored:

Through the 90's I liked the random U2 songs that were played, but I never really connected 90's U2 to 80's U2. The local DJ's trashed Pop and PopMart to no end when it came out, so I assumed they'd washed up.

And then I went to college and met my former best friend who was a total U2 nut. I helped her hang PopMart poster her brother had stolen from outside a ticket-selling store, and she showed me a picture of her casted ankle in an issue of Propaganda. I started listening a little more, and she taught me everything she knew.

We went to Elevation in Philly and I was shocked that a man as sick as Bono was that night could still run laps around the stage and engage the whole audience, all the way up to the ceiling where we sat. I was hooked.

And then my life changed very suddenly and everything looked bleak and hopeless, until I stood in the heart in Povidence. I was surrounded by music, light, love, peace, happiness, excitement. U2 reached out and grabbed me and made me feel something other than sorry for myself. I have been searching for that level of emotion every day since, even though I am happy again. I am still completely addicted.

Sorry about the novel. :ohmy:

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
i have been a fan since '84. (that's what my "84" stands for). i was fourteen years old then. i remember it so well. the unforgettable fire on casstte tape...i still have it. i also have band-aid's "do they know it's christmas?" on vinyl, which i believe came out the same year? i bought that one because of bono, too. so i've been a fan for...nineteen years.

I still have both of those too...and my original War album on vinyl.

*Sigh*

I wish I could've been a fan from the beginning-hey, it's not my fault I was born in 1984!

I've only been a fan for about 9 months now-but I've done what I can to make up for lost time.

I'd always liked U2's music-I'd hear their songs on the radio and be like, "Oh, hey, I like this song!"

Then one night I was listening to the radio and heard "Angel Of Harlem", and I thought, "Wow, this song rocks!" But it took another time listening to that song to make me want to put it on a CD I was making, along with a few other U2 songs I liked.

And when listening to those songs on the CD, something clicked-it just really hit me how good these songs were.

And I'd seen commercials for that Elevation Boston concert that they were gonna show on T.V. last June, and I thought that'd be fun to see (well, that and the fact that Bono looked good in the commercials-that was another incentive, heh, I really started liking Bono when I saw that "When The Stars Go Blue" video and my sister's like, "You're not getting a crush on him now, are you?" and I lied and said "No" (but then she dragged it out of me eventually-I can't keep my crushes on guys a secret from her for long)).

And I watched it, and there were a lot of songs I didn't know, so I kept asking my dad what they were and he was telling me about them, and I decided to go look for them and download them, and the rest is history-I got hooked and have been ever since.

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom