How long have you been a fan??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since 1987. I was one of the high school kids who jumped on The Joshua Tree bandwagon. Its hard to convince people now just HOW COMPLETELY DIFFERENT U2 was from most of the other music of that time. It sounds corny now, but their music just seemed so much more "important" and meaningful than the other stuff of that era.

1984, 13 yrs old.... And I've not been the same since that day in January when I heard New Year's Day for the first time.
Ultraviolette was right - it IS a happy little addiction! :yes:

Although my hubby & friends would probably argue with me over using the adjective "little" to describe my feelings for U2!!! :D

Am I really the oldest one here so far Sheesh!! I remember hearing "I Will Follow" om a local college radio station when I was 11. Went to local record store with Mom on a Saturday an bought the album. Yes I said album. And even talked her into buying me a pin for my jean jacket. Now how corny is that. So 24 years for me and the best part is my 9 and 7 year olds now like them too and even know all the guy's names.

"just give us what we want and no one gets hurt"

Since someone else mentioned their kids, I'll add that my two year old son has been a fan since he was five months old. Electrical Storm had just come out and it was the only thing in the world that seemed to get him to sleep (something I can't explain). By the way, that might be the only U2 song I've ever gotten tired of hearing.
Last note on the kid thing, Every time that *&#ing itunes commercial comes on he darts to the t.v. shouting "that's Bondo, that's Bondo" So I think he's a legit fan

When my oldest daughter Jordan was a baby the song that always used to put her to sleep was "Miss Sarajevo". We made a tape of it playing over and over for her crib tape player. Maybe that would be a good thread to post. Songs that soothed our babies and children.

Macfistowannabe said:
That's funny Indra... Achtung Baby made me a fan! Ahh, the generation gaps...

Well, I'm not sure it's so much the age as it is that my musical tastes moved more toward the psychedelic. U2 doesn't really do that, so....

I think I would have been better off with Miss Sarajevo. Maybe me and his Mom would have nodded off with that one, too.

Yeah, it would make a good thread.

Boy, I was nine when JT came out and my dad bought it that year. However, I really had no idea who U2 were because I thought 'Rattle and Hum' was a film about a rock band that died in a plane crash. (no joke) Don't ask me how I got that in my head but I was only ten at that point. Then in eighth grade the guy that sat behind me in geometry always wore U2 t-shirts. He told me I'd like them but I was too into the Doors and the Beatles to even notice anything modern.

So, long story short, a good friend in the ninth grade (November 1992) introduced me to Achtung Baby. This album changed my life. I ordered it with JT and R&H from Columbia House. I was hooked and have been ever since.

I guess it has been 11 years this month. Good times.

Well, I started listening to War while laying in the hall with my ear pressed up against my oldest brothers door. I was 10 and that year, i went with my brother to the mall and waited as the music store opened up and he grabbed the first copy of the UF out of the box.

Then when I knew i was an actual "fan" was me and my two brothers, sitting in my parents car when the radio station was debuting some songs off of JT. We all just sat there listening so intently and soaking in the songs.

I remember going into my brothers room and looking at his U2 posters and trying to guess who was who. I thought Adam was Larry and Bono was The Edge.

Then when Rattle and Hum came out I was the first at the music store getting the Desire single out of the box. Very cool how tradition and passion works.

It's a beautiful thing.

Oh yeah, very cool to see new fans here on at Interference. God bless you. You have found something truly special.

p.s. - my high school senior quote in the yearbook was also a U2 lyric. :)

Last edited:
since live aid....20 years.....i was 14 at the time.....had never heard of them and was amazed to see Bono jump off the stage and dance with that lucky lucky girl....the first time i saw them live was at amnesty international in 1985 and it was a day i will never forget....they continue to be the best live band out there and i can't wait for the tour!!!

I had Joshua Tree since 1996, and I bought Best of 1980-1990 when that came out, but I wasn't a diehard fan until 2000, when the ATYCLB hype started. I thought ATYCLB was ok, but thenI bought Achtung Baby around the same time, and that was actually the one that got me hooked, and then I wound up buying every album over the next few months, and saw them twice on the Elevation tour.

Since '93!

I was 11.

The first CD I ever bought was the Lemon single. The third was the Zooropa album. (Don't ask what the second was.)

I've been hooked ever since!

Last edited:
Since The Joshua Tree era but the first song that seduced me was Soonday bloody soonday seen on TV as a clip from Red Rock. It was smashing like open heart surgery with no anesthesia :)

wow I have to say that it's good to see that the boys have some brand new fans around here! Welcome to the family, and your new addiction! hehehe

Since I was 12 so thats 11 years.

My dad used to play them all the time and I hated it then somehow I became a bigger fan them him :wink:

I BOUGHT SOMEONE ELSE'S RECORD COLLECTION AT A GARAGE SALE IN 1984. IN IT WAS UABRS. I REMEMBER PUTTING IT ON AND THINKING WOW! BEEN STUCK IN A MOMENT EVER SINCE.:drunk:

Since 1991. I was 14, lived in Spain at the time and I remember hearing all the hype about the new U2 record and wondering what the hell that was about (All I knew of U2 was that Pet Shop Boys mash up of Streets with that other song which I do not recall at this very moment). Then The Fly came on my TV screen and have not been the same since... :wink:

Speaking of AB... I took my CD booklet with me to NYC just in case there was a chance to get something autographed and I lost it.... :sad: May need to get another AB from ebay just to recoup it.... well worth the price of front row though :wink:

When it comes to U2 obsession, I always wish I were older so I could've been a real fan much earlier!! I always liked them growing up but couldn't really appreciate everything until 2000, when I was 17....

I listened to my first U2 album (ATYCLB) 6 months ago, and have gradually become a big fan since then.

Since the With or Without you video was playing up against the Police's Everybreath you Take video on Friday night videos. I was there for the Police but soon loved WOWY. Haven't looked back since.

Back
Top Bottom