How is Native Son?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Native Son is very, very good. I do prefer Vertigo through; I think it's more powerful and unique sounding overall. They're really both very different songs though.

There are some true gems in the unreleased song collection. I am so happy we've been able to hear these, and I hope they're are more where those came from :)

I wasen't going to buy this thing but I think now I have to! But answer me this:

Is Native Son as hard as Vertigo?

Does it use the same riff?

Is the chorus catchy?

Does it have a solo?

I've still haven't heard "Native Son" yet. In fact, I haven't heard "X and W", ABOY II, Yahweh (instrumental), Smile, Flower Child...........................I feel like i'm the only here who have not heard any of these songs yet. :( :sad:

Native Son is a great song but lacks critical elements found in Vertigo.
The chords and structure of the of song stays true to Vertigo. The noticable differences are in the verse.

Intro: Gone is the count-in. It is replaced by an erry sounding guitar. As the main riff starts up, it is noticable that another guitar is present in the Native Son version. There is an extra lead guitar playing over the main riff. This continues in the post-chorus parts as well.
Verse: Native Son has a melodic verse while Vertigo has a fast-paced talk-rap. I like the Native Son verse better.

Chorus: The chorus has the exact same chords as Vertigo. However, this is where Vertigo dominates. The Vertigo chorus is more catchy and powerful while Native Son is more harmonic and raw.
Post 2nd Chorus: This starts out with, in my opinion, a short and cheesy string-bending guitar solo by the Edge. It is then followed by a similar rendition of the U2 delay-guitar found at the same spot in Vertigo.
Bridge: Native Son lacks the important post-bridge that exists in Vertigo ("all of this can be yours"). Instead, Native Son has Bono screaming "free" to the same chord progression as the post-chorus.
3rd Chorus: This is where it is confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Vertigo is a better song. In the 3rd chorus of Vertigo, we find the climax of the song ("your love is teaching me how, to kneel"). This important climax is lacking in Native Son.

So Yes, Native Son is a great song. However, Vertigo is musically superior.

Native Son is alright, Vertigo is way better and catchier. The verses are way better in Vertigo too. pretty much everything about Vertigo is better than Native Son, even though it's really the same song, if that makes sense.

in fact, all the "final" songs are better than the Demos (ABOY, Sometimes..., Yahweh). Glad they took the extra year to finish this album.

Shaizari said:
brazilian fly, ur avatar looks like the symbol for hemp/marijuana...until I realised it was a still from the vertigo video clip :D

:eyebrow:

:lol:

Thanks everybody for the great informations!!!! :up: I wanna listen to this song! :yes:

i want this song but dont own an ipod. im feeling rather frustrated right now. ive bought virtually everything these guys ever released and now cant get these unrealesed ones.

at a party last night, I played Native Son for 6 people and every single person preferred it to Vertigo.

The song stands for itself. Vertigo gets a kitchen sink treatment which to my ears is unnecessary. Native Son I prefer.

i want this song but dont own an ipod. im feeling rather frustrated right now. ive bought virtually everything these guys ever released and now cant get these unrealesed ones.

Friar,you can still download itunes and buy the song that way. I have an ipod but run itunes as well,so there should be no reason you or other non-ipod owners can't still download the song.

briggs said:
Friar,you can still download itunes and buy the song that way. I have an ipod but run itunes as well,so there should be no reason you or other non-ipod owners can't still download the song.

No you can't. They're not offering the "rare and unreleased" for individual purchase. You would have to purchase the entire boxset.

Back
Top Bottom