How is Native Son? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:06 PM
How is Native Son?

The U2 iPod is out and in it there is Native Son, so to whoever bought it, please answer me: how does it sound? Is it any good?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Native Son is very, very good. I do prefer Vertigo through; I think it's more powerful and unique sounding overall. They're really both very different songs though.

There are some true gems in the unreleased song collection. I am so happy we've been able to hear these, and I hope they're are more where those came from

Old 11-25-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I wasen't going to buy this thing but I think now I have to! But answer me this:

Is Native Son as hard as Vertigo?

Does it use the same riff?

Is the chorus catchy?

Does it have a solo?
Old 11-25-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 03:06 PM
The riff is the same, but a bit more subdued.

It is less produced. Sloppier. I prefer it.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

And Edge sings on it, right?
Old 11-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
New Yorker

I've still haven't heard "Native Son" yet. In fact, I haven't heard "X and W", ABOY II, Yahweh (instrumental), Smile, Flower Child...........................I feel like i'm the only here who have not heard any of these songs yet.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Native Son is a great song but lacks critical elements found in Vertigo.
The chords and structure of the of song stays true to Vertigo. The noticable differences are in the verse.

Intro: Gone is the count-in. It is replaced by an erry sounding guitar. As the main riff starts up, it is noticable that another guitar is present in the Native Son version. There is an extra lead guitar playing over the main riff. This continues in the post-chorus parts as well.
Verse: Native Son has a melodic verse while Vertigo has a fast-paced talk-rap. I like the Native Son verse better.

Chorus: The chorus has the exact same chords as Vertigo. However, this is where Vertigo dominates. The Vertigo chorus is more catchy and powerful while Native Son is more harmonic and raw.
Post 2nd Chorus: This starts out with, in my opinion, a short and cheesy string-bending guitar solo by the Edge. It is then followed by a similar rendition of the U2 delay-guitar found at the same spot in Vertigo.
Bridge: Native Son lacks the important post-bridge that exists in Vertigo ("all of this can be yours"). Instead, Native Son has Bono screaming "free" to the same chord progression as the post-chorus.
3rd Chorus: This is where it is confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Vertigo is a better song. In the 3rd chorus of Vertigo, we find the climax of the song ("your love is teaching me how, to kneel"). This important climax is lacking in Native Son.

So Yes, Native Son is a great song. However, Vertigo is musically superior.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:06 PM
Its catchy, very catchy
Old 11-25-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:06 PM
brazilian fly, ur avatar looks like the symbol for hemp/marijuana...until I realised it was a still from the vertigo video clip
Old 11-25-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Native Son is alright, Vertigo is way better and catchier. The verses are way better in Vertigo too. pretty much everything about Vertigo is better than Native Son, even though it's really the same song, if that makes sense.

in fact, all the "final" songs are better than the Demos (ABOY, Sometimes..., Yahweh). Glad they took the extra year to finish this album.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 PM   #11
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Vertigo may be a bit more advanced down the production line but Native Son holds more engaging and natural qualities lyrically. It's message is more clears. See me discussion on "Taking the Vinegar out of Vertigo"

http://forum.interference.com/showth...92#post1901892
Old 11-26-2004, 04:41 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaizari
brazilian fly, ur avatar looks like the symbol for hemp/marijuana...until I realised it was a still from the vertigo video clip

Thanks everybody for the great informations!!!! I wanna listen to this song!
Old 11-28-2004, 03:26 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 04:06 PM
i want this song but dont own an ipod. im feeling rather frustrated right now. ive bought virtually everything these guys ever released and now cant get these unrealesed ones.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
The Fly

at a party last night, I played Native Son for 6 people and every single person preferred it to Vertigo.

The song stands for itself. Vertigo gets a kitchen sink treatment which to my ears is unnecessary. Native Son I prefer.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #15
Babyface

i want this song but dont own an ipod. im feeling rather frustrated right now. ive bought virtually everything these guys ever released and now cant get these unrealesed ones.

Friar,you can still download itunes and buy the song that way. I have an ipod but run itunes as well,so there should be no reason you or other non-ipod owners can't still download the song.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:24 PM   #16
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by briggs
Friar,you can still download itunes and buy the song that way. I have an ipod but run itunes as well,so there should be no reason you or other non-ipod owners can't still download the song.
No you can't. They're not offering the "rare and unreleased" for individual purchase. You would have to purchase the entire boxset.