How important is meeting U2 to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• M - Not Important at all

Votes: 41 23.7%
  • M - Somewhat Important

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • M - Very Important

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • M - Lifelong Goal

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • F - Not Important at all

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • F - Somewhat Important

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • F - Very Important

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • F - Lifelong Goal

Votes: 24 13.9%

• Total voters
I voted somewhat important.

I would never fly anywhere to try and meet them or drive for hours or turn my life upside down to be at their location. As some have said before, before the internet, the interest might have been a little bit less, not to mention the information available. When U2 were in town for the Grammy's, I never drove into L.A. to hang out at their hotel or near the venue in hopes of seeing them or getting a peek or anything. But would I like to meet them? Absolutely.

Last week, I did get the opportunity when the Edun event with Ali, Rogan & Bono took place in L.A. Being that that is my old neighborhood, and I don't live more than an hour away, I thought it was worth a shot - I figured how many people would have known about it and it was a chance in a lifetime for Maddy & I to possibly see them (Bono) up close. (Worse come to worse, we'd have lunch & shop). I didn't know about the possible appearance til 2:30am, and they were to be there about 10-11 hours later. And the fluke of being there turned out to be a very lucky day indeed. We were just hoping to catch a glimpse, but we actually got into the event. I didn't get to talk to Bono at all, but got to shake his hand :faint: and got to take a picture of Bono & Maddy together (posted elsewhere :whistle: ) . Two of my fave people together. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Would love to meet them all and maybe be able to utter a few words this time, other than 'one more for Maddy' :wink:

Before that meeting, I still would have said that it not have been a "lifelong goal" or "must happen before I die", but I always thought it would be nice if it ever did happen. Maybe it's just blue crack karma :hmm:

Last edited:
Put it this way: I think the lengths people go to are absolutely crazy and the weight of life changing importance they put on meeting them is just absurd, HOWEVER whenever I get asked that "If you could have 10 people living or dead over for dinner..." Bono is always the first one that springs to mind. I've never met any of them, but by sheer chance arrived at a bar at something a.m post-Sydney Popmart just as one exceedingly drunk singer was leaving the same bar and I'm not going to deny that the experience tickled me pink, although I know that if I'd found out earlier he was at that bar I would have avoided it rather than gone there, under the assumption that shit was crazy there and if he and co were in there, my chances of getting in were slim to none. Autographs, 5 second meetings, a Shavers craves not these things.

Earnie Shavers said:
Put it this way: I think the lengths people go to are absolutely crazy and the weight of life changing importance they put on meeting them is just absurd, HOWEVER whenever I get asked that "If you could have 10 people living or dead over for dinner..." Bono is always the first one that springs to mind.

agreed :yes: While I do think some people's adventures are a bit too crazy, the band certainly are in the top of my 10 people i'd love to meet.

to put it frankly, we're all nuts. we spend hours upon hours on a u2 web forum... spend thousands of dollars on music, concerts, books, dvd's, posters, and other random memorabilia, we go to see u2 tribute bands, we wait for hours in sun, wind, rain and snow just to get 5 feet closer than we would if we didn't wait at all, and some of us are even so nutty that we run u2 related web pages ( :reject: )

so while the importance of meeting the actual members of the band and/or the means we'd go to to get it done may differ, one thing is for sure...

we're all fucking nuts.

Lila64 said:
Maybe it's just blue crack karma :hmm:

You met Bono. I texted you a setlist and called you after a show. Does blue crack karma mean I get to meet Bono next? :shifty:

I voted somewhat important. I've been lucky in my life that I've gotten to meet a lot of my heroes (since writers are a hell of a lot easier to meet than rock stars), but I'd say U2 are probably the people I'd most like to meet that I haven't yet.

At the same time, it freaks me out the extents to which some people are willing to go. I just think it's crossing a line to wait outside of their hotel, and an even bigger one to try to find their houses. They're people. They have families. They deserve some privacy sometimes, like everyone else. They've always been so generous with the fans; I figure if I'm meant to meet them, it will happen at some point.

If Bono gave a speech near my house, would I go? Sure. If I'm already at a show, do I wait for the band to arrive? Of course. When I finally make a trip to Dublin, will I check out the studio if they're recording? Probably. But I'm troubled by the sense of entitlement some people seem to feel about trying to or getting to meet the band. I'm not directing that at anyone specifically; it's just a trend I've seen for awhile that bugs me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

we're all fucking nuts.

I completely agree. While meeting the band outside of a concert isn't really all that important to me I'm flying to Hawaii in December so I can't talk at all. I'm still slightly disturbed by this fact and to make it right I'm calling it a "vacation in which u2 just happen to coincidentally be playing there at the same time"

Even if I bought the tickets to the concert before I bought the plane tickets :reject:

Well, I said lifelong goal. But that's because I need to get over this awful habit I have of freaking out when meeting people I really admire and respect...and not just rockstars.

Last year, I was 10 feet away from Bono, and he was walking toward me (I wasn't even seeking him, we were lost and trying to find our way back.) Seize the moment, right? Heh, not me! I gasped and ran away. At a concert, he tried to slap our hands, I pulled my hand away. Couldn't handle it.

So...my lifelong goal is to not just meet the band, but to actually *meet* cool people without running away.

to put it frankly, we're all nuts. we spend hours upon hours on a u2 web forum... spend thousands of dollars on music, concerts, books, dvd's, posters, and other random memorabilia, we go to see u2 tribute bands, we wait for hours in sun, wind, rain and snow just to get 5 feet closer than we would if we didn't wait at all, and some of us are even so nutty that we run u2 related web pages ( :reject: )

so while the importance of meeting the actual members of the band and/or the means we'd go to to get it done may differ, one thing is for sure...

we're all fucking nuts.

Mmhmmm. :yes:

Let's all raise a glass to being fucking nuts!

: raises imaginary glass of champagne at you all :

I'd really like to meet them, it would probably be concert-related though . . . or maybe going to the studio in Dublin, seeing as I've been wanting to go to Ireland since before I knew U2 existed. But it would also depend on whatever "U2 mode" I'm in. My obsession level tends to change quite a bit, but haven't figured out why.

The music and concerts are the main thing. If by chance somewhere there or in between our paths happen to cross then that would be awesome but I wouldnt drive hours or fly places for it.....i dont think....

corianderstem said:
Let's all raise a glass to being fucking nuts!

: raises imaginary glass of champagne at you all :
istockphoto_308416_toast.jpg

we're all fucking nuts.

never thought of it that way. So true. :yes:

It would be a dream come torue for me to meet the band. I certainly won't be disappointed or grieve if I don't ever have the opportunity to meet them. Just enjoying their music through the time I've been a fan and what it's meant to me and how much Bono's campaigning has opened my eyes to try to do what I can to help stop the hunger and AIDS in the world is enough really. All I'd really like to say to them is thank you. If it happens, it happens. If not, no great loss.

it would be nice to have a drink with adam, he sipping tea and me drinking some alc... the only other guy i would like to meet is the edge. i don't want to talk to boner or larry.

If I had the chance, I'd want to tell Bono how much his music has changed my life. He hears that all the time, but I'd need to tell him, for me. I'd also tell him that Pop was bleeding fantastic, and he shouldn't believe anyone else that tells him otherwise.

I'd tell Adam that he's fantastic, and that thr bassline in Do You Feel Loved made me fall in love with him. I'd also ask him if I could stick my fingers into his hair. I've just gotta feel it. Hopefully this request is so bizarre that he'll be amused into letting me. Hopefully I won't get dragged off by security.

I'm not entirely sure what I'd tell Edge. Maybe that I love his head and he should show it off more.

I might ask Larry why he's afraid of cats, but probably not, I'm a little bit scared of Larry.

...Yes, I'm insane :reject:

Somewhat important for me but not a huge deal. I didn't meet anyone during Elevation but I got a picture of Bono giving us a thumbs up as his car drove into the arena in Albany, NY. I did get lucky during Vertigo. I waited outside in the rain in Milwaukee and met Bono and Edge. I'm not good with meeting celebrities (granted, haven't had the opportunity all that much), so I didn't manage more than a hi and a big geeky grin. My boyfriend shook Bono's hand. Got some good pictures out of it. I think it was more disappointing that I waited probably about an hour and a half and when other people who hadn't been waiting shoved their way up front and tried pushing me and others aside when they realized what all of us were doing there. That pissed me off, who knows if this would be the first of many 'meetings' with the band, or my one and only. I was really upset about that.

I'd say I'm a somewhat crazed fan, I'm not big on band trivia, but I collect all kinds of things U2, seen some tribute bands, I wore my U2 license plate around my neck on a string for all the shows I went to, dropped probably close to $1,000 when it was all said and done and I got to meet 2 of them. that being said, I think I was just in the right place at the right time. no better or worse than any other fan. But meeting Bono and Edge was great and I'll never forget it. And had it been a longer experience, I would have run the risk of babbling like an idiot. :wink:

I would love to meet Larry. I found myself staring at the big screens at him during the shows. found some of his expressions hysterical. And he's yummy. :drool:

Not important to me.

It is important to me that I really want to change the colours in the bar chart poll so that winning category (and on down to the losing categories) in the m/f sections are represented by same colour. Or the categories are at least represented by the same colour. I've never done a poll so not sure if it is something you can control, but visually it's bugging the :nerd: in me.

Somewhat important. I agree with what Lila said:

Lila64 said:
I would never fly anywhere to try and meet them or drive for hours or turn my life upside down to be at their location. As some have said before, before the internet, the interest might have been a little bit less, not to mention the information available.

I lived in Ireland for a year, and stopped by some of the U2 locations, but they were on tour at the time. I knew I wouldn't run into them, but thought it would be cool to see all these places I'd heard about, since I was already in the country.

It would be awesome to meet them some day, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't happen.

Lila64 said:
I didn't get to talk to Bono at all, but got to shake his hand :faint: and got to take a picture of Bono & Maddy together (posted elsewhere :whistle: ) . Two of my fave people together.

GREAT pic! :applaud:

I've waited outside the docks before, but haven't met any of them in person, though I saw Bono and Edge briefly a few times. Probably would have met them had the same people who have already met them five or six times already were right up front, I might have, but oh well...

I considered it for a hot second, this thing on Tuesday, but decided it wasn't worth it. I'll try again next tour. I've been a fan practically my entire life, so yes, it is somewhat important that I meet at least one of them once.

I voted very important... because let's face it, I was totally ready to drop everything and drive down to NYC to be at the book signing. My common sense has returned and I just figure there will be another time when doing something like that will actually be feasible.

So this poll pretty much confirms my suspicions. That it is generally more important for females to meet U2 than it is for guys.

Guys

41% Not Important
39% Somewhat
12% Very
8% Lifelong Goal

Ladies

18% Not
34% Somewhat
22% Very
26% Lifelong Goal

It's just Somewhat Important... I don't know what I would say to them and I would probably make a fool of myself.. So I preffer to see them on stage playing music... After all that's what they do best:wink:

Back
Top Bottom