How important is meeting U2 to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

?

• M - Not Important at all

Votes: 41 23.7%
  • M - Somewhat Important

Votes: 37 21.4%
  • M - Very Important

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • M - Lifelong Goal

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • F - Not Important at all

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • F - Somewhat Important

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • F - Very Important

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • F - Lifelong Goal

Votes: 24 13.9%

• Total voters
vaz02 said:
I'd die a happy man if i met u2 and had a few wonderful kids with a women i loved.

Drag1blondes.jpg

Somewhat important - but only IF, I could sit with or around the group for awhile and actually participate in the conversation.
I have no interest in waiting to get something signed. A picture with the group would be nice, but it isn't a life long goal.
I do care what they are up too because Bono/U2 do remarkable work and I truly enjoy the pics which puts me in a difficult position. I really feel sorry for celeb's including U2, who can't even step outside their door and live normal lives because of the paparazzi.
I don't care that other people say "they deserve it because they are famous".
I don't think that way. I feel it's wrong for someone to deny someone else their right to privacy just because they think they are entitled to it.
This is no reflection on anyone else and I am not trying to sound better than anyone. I'm speaking entirely for myself.
(with that said, I would love to be in New Orleans Monday for the concert and game. I can :drool: with the best of them)

ntalwar said:
Some of these stories don't really match the vote.

IMO:
Going out of town (non-concert), camping out (non-concert), waiting outside hotel = lifelong goal

Waiting outside a concert venue for them = somewhat to very important

id probably classify them like this:

not at all = no attempt to meet them
somewhat = try to meet them at show
very = try to meet them at hotel/function in your hometown
lifelong goal = travelling to another city to try to meet them

i probably should have made that more clear at the beginning, but oh wellz

I see nothing wrong with waiting outside their hotel, if they had a problem with it they could and would put a stop to it. And they could and would just walk by, and would have every right to. It's one of the few places where you can meet them , I would never invade their privacy in any way. I would never go to Ireland just to go to the studio either, there are plenty of people who have done that. There are fans who actually go into the hotel, I wouldn't do that. Whatever way one meets them really is not equivalent to the importance it has in your life, unless it's wildly inappropriate. If you're going to say that there is an equivalence, well honestly I can't imagine what term you would use for some of the people here and how many times they have met them and in what ways. What number of times satisfies a lifelong goal, makes it a lifelong goal? Makes it very important, somewhat important? What number is too much?

It's all in the perspective you have it in- you can be waiting on a loading dock and still have, let's just say, an unusual perspective. And it could be your 10th time meeting them-so what would you call that in terms of importance? :shrug:

What should my answer be if I just happened to be at the right place at the right time? That's how I met Bono.

If he and Ali had come to Seattle for the big Edun shindig this past week, I would have made an attempt to go. But I wouldn't spend money to go somewhere just for the chance to maybe meet them for like 10 seconds.

I'd only want to meet them to talk setlists (especially on the topic of a full electric One Tree Hill in New Zealand). Otherwise, I'm not really that concerned. So I voted somewhat important.

corianderstem said:
What should my answer be if I just happened to be at the right place at the right time? That's how I met Bono.

If he and Ali had come to Seattle for the big Edun shindig this past week, I would have made an attempt to go. But I wouldn't spend money to go somewhere just for the chance to maybe meet them for like 10 seconds.

And I think that is a good point. Being at the right place at the right time for an event, and seeing them in an situation they have set up is different than being outside their house waiting for them to leave or come home.
I would say that put's you in the "somewhat important" category to see or meet them. Only because there was no other choice for the mildly enthused fan.
It's hard to say though with Bono he's more willing to "meet and greet" as opposed to the others who try to keep things on some sort of separation of "duty" and trying to have a life outside of the camera's. I think that's why Larry can't/won't get use to it. He doesn't want to,
Over the last few day's howerver, they are there for the fans and publishers. They pretty much have to do this, whether they want too or not.
Larry/Adam/Edge don't hate the fans, I think they hate the invasion of the paparazzi.

the reason why i consider waiting at hotels sketchy is because it involves getting information that isn't supposed to be public knowledge. :shrug: if you just happen to be at the hotel and they show up, that's one thing. finding out where they're staying and going there is another story.

it's not a personal attack on anyone... god knows i have friends who have done such things... doesn't make me think any better or worse about them as people. it's just something that i feel is stepping over the line, because the band's hotel is the band's home on the road.

Axver said:
I'd only want to meet them to talk setlists (especially on the topic of a full electric One Tree Hill in New Zealand). Otherwise, I'm not really that concerned. So I voted somewhat important.

I'm going to steal your post my friend ;)

I'd only want to meet then to talk about musical direction, songwriting, studio productions and recordings, and DVD releases
:heart:

From that perspective, to me is REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT :hug:

But if I had to meet them at the corner of a street to ask a photo or autographs, at some pub/cafe, at the airport or any casual moment, that's really not important at all for me :angel:

:wave:

Axver said:

:lmao: Nice!

sue4u2 said:

Larry/Adam/Edge don't hate the fans, I think they hate the invasion of the paparazzi.

You mean "pavarotti." :shh:

I already met them but its because they were in my city but I wouldnt go across the country to meet anybody.

I voted somewhat important, and I felt that was too strong for me, but according to Chizip I would need to vote 'very important' because I have been by their hotel. Chizip has always seemed very level headed and I almost always agree with his take on things, so his posts have got me to thinking about going to the hotel. I went there in Chicago (close to where I'm from) for the Sept. 2005 shows. I knew where their hotel was, but I chose another hotel to stay at. I did go by the hotel on the afternoon of the show out of curiosity and because it was close to some other places I wanted to see. I was there 5 minutes and the Edge came out and a U2 security guy (John) said 'No pictures please'. The Edge got in a car and left and I talked to John for a few minutes. He said come back at 4 pm and the band would come out and pose for pix and autographs before going to the show. I went on my way and came back around 4 and there were about 500 people. We waited, they came out and I stood back and watched. That was it. I never felt I was doing anything obsessive by being there. It was neat to see them in a different environment. But, I made no attempt to go up and meet them because what could I say that they hadn't heard a million times over. I don't think it means squat that I went by there, but if most agree this is out of line, perhaps I won't do it again, if such a chance arose.

I voted not important at all. I'd love to meet them by chance and have a talk, but it'll never happen and so I don't care.

I saw Bono's chin through an open limo window outside the arena in Phoenix in 2001, but I was hanging around because I wanted to park early and get a cheap rate. :reject:

When I was in Dublin in 2004, I went to look at his house and I did the usual U2 tourist things, but they were in San Diego at the time, and I knew it when I booked the trip. I was very happy and relieved they weren't in town so I wouldn't seem like a stalker.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think in general the internet plays a huge role in the lengths some people will go. I don't see how anyone can honestly deny that there is a competitive element to it, that many people want to go on a website like Interference and talk about their meeting or multiple meetings with them. I can only speculate that for some people, it is a bragging rights type of thing, and for some people it seems to make them feel like they are special or more important fans. People shouldn't feel badly if they've never met any of them-and some people do feel that way. I think if web sites like this didn't exist, the interest in meeting them wouldn't be nearly what it is. I knew one girl years ago (on the PopMart tour) who I worked with who met them outside a hotel, honestly it never would have occurred to me to even try. I did on the Elevation tour only because after being a fan for so long, I just thought it would be something nice to experience. Of course the internet also gives fans access to info on how and where to try to meet them.
I agree with this. My desire to meet them increased incredibly once I got online and started reading other fans' accounts of meeting them. Before that, I wanted to meet them, of course, but it seemed like such a totally unreachable goal. But then when you see so many other people talking about how wonderful it was to meet them, you start to get a little jealous, and then you want to meet them so much more.

I want to meet them, but I'd never travel to another city and go out of my way just for the small chance to meet them. Maybe that's because I'm just a total cheapskate, and I don't like to spend money on frivolous things.
I would wait outside the venue before or after a concert to see them, and I might wait outside a hotel. If I were in Dublin (and I do want to go there, for a whole slew of reasons that have nothing to do with the band), I would probably wait outside of Windmill Lane for the chance to meet them.

It is public knowledge here what hotel they stay at, it's all over the newspapers :shrug: I'm talking about doing it once or twice, not making yourself a permanent fixture there. I would think they wouldn't want to be bothered at the studio when they're trying to work either, yet they stop for fans. Same for before or after a concert, maybe they don't really want to be bothered there either- no one knows that for sure but them.

And you didn't do anything obsessive or out of line russmadem-and I wouldn't let anyone's opinion determine if you do it again. That's up to you. I have seen and heard about obsessive stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with waiting outside a hotel. Some of the GA stuff definitely qualifies as obsessive in my opinion, it's just obsessive in a different venue. Sure it's not about meeting them, but it can be very obsessive. Ditto for the getting on stage stuff.

haha well im an idiot most of the time anyway, youre probably better off ignoring me. i think each situation varies, theres really no set rule to whats "weird" or not.

Not important at all

Though, I could see myself waiting outside a concert venue (assuming I had seats instead of GA) to meet them if I had free time or if a friend convinced me to do it. Maybe I should've picked somewhat important instead :hmm:

It would be awesome if I got to meet them, but all signs point to never gunna happen, so I haven't gotten my hopes up. Not important.

It's not really important to me either, but I can't say it isn't loads of fun. :wink: "Hi, The Edge!" is something I thought I'd only say in my daydreams.

Well, in the past I've waited outside the venue for them (and got a pic with Bono :drool: ) and I've waited outside a hotel (and got a wave from Bono from his car :wink: ) so whether that constitutes "very important" or "life long goal" is a quibbling matter I suppose :shrug:

:D

And how would one define spending money on booze in the Clarence? :confused:

I've never met them but it's a dream to have a long chat with them over a few drinks and Bono wins by a mile the "celeb you would most like to have a dinner with" question.
As others have said I don't see the point though in going out of your way and waiting for hours just for a quick hello and an autograph. I live about an hour and a half from Abbey Road Studios and it did briefly cross my mind to visit whilst they're there but apart from work commitments and arranging child care etc, I just couldn't be bothered to travel and then wait ages on the off chance that I'd meet them for a few seconds.
I'd prefer to spend hours waiting to get near the front in concert though which I do think is time well spent!

It's not important to me at all. Sure I'd love to meet the guys but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it if I don't. meeting celebrities has never been much of priority or desire for me.

I haven't seen them live yet... but i am spending around two thousand dollars to fly down to Australia to see 5 shows... upto now i guess seeing them in concert could be my lifelong dream.. but as to actually meeting them.. sure it wud be great... but i wudnt go to extreme lenghts just to meet them.

Meh. I, too, take issue with the word "important." I've never tried to meet them so I voted not important at all. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to meet U2. :shrug: I'd rather hang out in the GA line and meet people than stand around some entrance, being pushed and shoved, for hours on end.

I have traveled to see shows though. :hmm:

MrsSpringsteen said:
It is public knowledge here what hotel they stay at, it's all over the newspapers :shrug: I'm talking about doing it once or twice, not making yourself a permanent fixture there. I would think they wouldn't want to be bothered at the studio when they're trying to work either, yet they stop for fans. Same for before or after a concert, maybe they don't really want to be bothered there either- no one knows that for sure but them.

After reading all the posts I totally agree with you MrsSpringsteen.

Some people go to the studios, or where ever they happen to be, day in and day out, meeting them everyday. I would feel like such a stalker. I wonder if the band thinks get a life.

I voted somewhat important.

I would like to meet them but not with a bunch of other people in a line up. I would rather bump into them unexpected some where. I would hate to meet them and say something they have heard a million times, but I know I prob would.

I think the whole autograph thing is cheesy. IMO. I would just want a picture with them or even just shake their hands. After all, they are just people.

I do like to read other people encounters with them though.

Back
Top Bottom