How has HTDAAB aged for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:
i dont care if a song like wild honey has weak lyrics. it's still a charming little piece of beauty.

if by beauty you mean crap i agree

why are lyrics so important to you, zoot.?

isnt the music the most important thing?

if you want great lyrics, you can always pick up a poetry book at the library :shrug:

xaviMF22 said:

I would have thought HTDAAB would be higher on your list :wink:

and props for Zooropa at number 1:up:

You'd think that, but that's just because I stick out. :wink: When I first heard Bomb, I probably would have placed it at #4, but I really have started to appreciate War. :shrug:

U2Man said:

if you want great lyrics, you can always pick up a poetry book at the library :shrug:

Actually oddly enough, music IS more important to me than lyrics. But with ATYCLB not only are there bad lyrics like on Wild Honey (what is soul, loooovvvve me, gimme soul :yuck: ), musically I don't find it that interesting either! There's a nice short solo on WILATW and the slide on Kite sounds nice and also IALW's melody is beautiful but other than that Edge and esp. Adam sound neutered on this album! It almost sounds like Bono solo in parts (Examples: POE but I do like that one lyrically and Grace...) Stuck In A Moment I prefer acoustic. Walk On I prefer the single version. Many of these alternate versions sound better to me than songs that actually made the last 2 albums! :shrug:

U2Man said:

I agree with U2man on this one. :up: Great lyrics are good to have, but not essential.

Still, some lyrical sins cannot be forgiven.

Stuck In A Moment :yuck:

xaviMF22 said:

OOTS is worse. :wink:

"Some sins you shouldn't get too good at
Like smiling, crying, and celebrity"

:yuck:

And of course, Bono's annoying vocal solo over the top of Edge's searing guitar solo. :huh: I have no idea who did the mixing on that one, but they screwed up badly.

LemonMelon said:

OOTS is worse. :wink:

"Some sins you shouldn't get too good at
Like smiling, crying, and celebrity"

:yuck:

And of course, Bono's annoying vocal solo over the top of Edge's searing guitar solo. :huh: I have no idea who did the mixing on that one, but they screwed up badly.

Sins? I thought it was "things":wink:

how bout "Hello, Hello I'm at a place called vertigo" dont like it:shrug:

or "oh you look so beautiful tonight"

Bono:tsk:

xaviMF22 said:

how bout "Hello, Hello I'm at a place called vertigo" dont like it:shrug:

or "oh you look so beautiful tonight"

Bono:tsk:

Vertigo is Vertigo; it's supposed to be retarded. :yes:

"Oh you look so beautiful tonight" sounds great in front of 50,000+ screaming fans...:drool:

How about the classic "With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends"? :lol:

Other crappy lines on HTDAAB:

1. I like the sound of my own voice
I didn't give anyone else a choice
An intellectual tortoise
Racing with your bullet train

2. You were pretty as a picture
It was all there to see
Then your face caught up with your psychology

3. OOTS as a whole

While Miracle Drug, LAPOE, and Yahweh (studio version only) sound awkward, I can't single out any particularly weak lines in those.

LemonMelon said:
I'm predicting a resurgence for Bomb about 3 years after the new album comes out. You know, lots of "OMG remember Bomb??? IT KICKS ASS" threads and that.

Bomb in 2011 :rockon:

yep. here's what will happen

New album leaks - "ZOMG THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN BOMB!!111111!111"

After the new album tour - "the new album is subpar, boner sux, bomb was so much better"

:wink:

I actually really like most of the lyrics to Crumbs...they're the one good thing about it.

LemonMelon said:
While Miracle Drug, LAPOE, and Yahweh (studio version only) sound awkward, I can't single out any particularly weak lines in those. [/B]

"Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head"

And I wonder where is the love?
Where is the love?

Yahweh is ok and I like it....but I dont like this line:

"Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born"

:shrug:

LemonMelon said:
While Miracle Drug, LAPOE, and Yahweh (studio version only) sound awkward, I can't single out any particularly weak lines in those.

Could it get any worse than the obvious brick in the face blatant lyric "God, I need your help tonight" from Miracle Drug? Or the completely cliche chorus "We need love and peace"??? :lol: Yahweh is not that bad but it is kind of a rehash of Do You Feel Loved lyrically.

xaviMF22 said:

"Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head"

And I wonder where is the love?
Where is the love?

Yahweh is ok and I like it....but I dont like this line:

"Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born"

1. I like it. A lot.

2. It's cliched, but whatever.

3. Cliched, but at least it's true.

After reading through all the lyrics, I can't help but say that I enjoy the lyrics of AMAAW, One Step Closer, and COBL. They sound just as good on paper as they do with music behind them.

"Neon heart, dayglo eyes
City lit by fireflies
They're advertising in the skies
For people like us"

It creates such a vivid picture. :)

Zootlesque said:

Could it get any worse than the obvious brick in the face blatant lyric "God, I need your help tonight" from Miracle Drug? Or the completely cliche chorus "We need love and peace"??? :lol: Yahweh is not that bad but it is kind of a rehash of Do You Feel Loved lyrically.

Like I said, they all sound off to me, and lines like those kind of fit the spirit. :wink: For me, the lyrics of LAPOE get drowned out by the stomping guitars, so I really don't care. And that line in Miracle Drug is whispered so it's easily ignored. :wink: I love Edge's verse though.

Zootlesque said:

They were banking on the fact that the kids buying the album hadn't heard of Pop before.

:shh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

They were banking on the fact that the kids buying the album hadn't heard of Pop before.

:shh:

They probably were! :tsk:

And LemonMelon, I love the bridge of Miracle Drug. It saves the song!

Beneath the noise, below the din
I hear your voice, it's whispering
In science and in medicine
I was a stranger, you took me in

:drool:

Zootlesque said:

They probably were! :tsk:

And LemonMelon, I love the bridge of Miracle Drug. It saves the song!

Beneath the noise, below the din
I hear your voice, it's whispering
In science and in medicine
I was a stranger, you took me in

:drool:

:sad: I still get a bit misty around that part. The "God I need your help tonight" leads right on into that squealing solo, and then Edge delivers a perfect verse. It actually makes the chorus after it sound a lot better. I like the structure. Oh, and for the record:

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I’ve had enough of romantic love
I’d give it up, yeah, I’d give it up
For a miracle, miracle drug

>

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile
I’ve had enough I’m not giving up
On a miracle drug

:tsk:

I dunno ... yeah, you've got the "take this" or "take these" similarities between the two lyrics, but they're thematically so different, I don't think it should be called a rehash.

HOWEVER...for all of HTDAAB's lyrical faults (and their really aren't that many), ATYCLB is worse.

Beautiful Day:

"You're out of luck and the reason that you had to care/The traffic is stuck and you're not moving anywhere" :|

I never have been a big fan of the lyrics in the slower bridge either. :shrug: The music and vocals are spot on however, so I don't really care about the lyrics that much in this one.

Stuck In A Moment:

"I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby"

:yikes:

And the whole chorus...

Elevation:

Now, I know it would be cruel to pick on this one since it's meant to be stupid, but I just have to say that is one of U2's worst songs ever, lyrically. I do love "Love...lift me out of these blues/let me tell you something true/I believe in you", however. :drool:

Walk On:

"A singing bird in an open cage
Who will only fly, only fly, for freedom"

:eyebrow:

Kite:

Nothing. Great song. I even like the last verse.

In A Little While:

Can't stand the "rocketship" verse. It makes me angry. I do love "Slow down, slowly love..." :drool:

Wild Honey:

Not much wrong with this one. It's a classic pop song.

Peace On Earth:

"Heaven on Earth, we need it now
I'm sick of all of this hanging around"

"Where I grew up there weren't many trees
Where there was we'd tear them down
And use them on our enemies "

When I Look At The World:

"When your thoughts are too expensive
To ever wanna keep"

I don't hate this line^ as much as I just don't understand it.

"When there’s all kinds of chaos
And everyone is walking lame
You don’t even blink now do you
Or even look away"

Sounds like a Weezer lyric.

"Tell me, tell me, what do you see?
Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me?"

New York:

It's kind of a mess from a technical standpoint, but it paints a vivid picture of the city, and is even creepier after 9/11. I also love the "In New York I lost it all to you and your vices" verse and of course, the best verse on the whole album IMO:

"In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice a-whispering
Come away now"

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Grace:

"Grace...
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that, changed the world "

"Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma, karma
She travels outside... of karma"

LemonMelon said:
HOWEVER...for all of HTDAAB's lyrical faults (and their really aren't that many), ATYCLB is worse.

Beautiful Day:

"You're out of luck and the reason that you had to care/The traffic is stuck and you're not moving anywhere" :|

I never have been a big fan of the lyrics in the slower bridge either. :shrug: The music and vocals are spot on however, so I don't really care about the lyrics that much in this one.

Stuck In A Moment:

"I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby"

And the whole chorus...

Elevation:

Now, I know it would be cruel to pick on this one since it's meant to be stupid, but I just have to say that is one of U2's worst songs ever, lyrically. I do love "Love...lift me out of these blues/let me tell you something true/I believe in you", however. :drool:

Walk On:

"A singing bird in an open cage
Who will only fly, only fly, for freedom"

Kite:

Nothing. Great song. I even like the last verse.

In A Little While:

Can't stand the "rocketship" verse. It makes me angry. I do love "Slow down, slowly love..." :drool:

Wild Honey:

Not much wrong with this one. It's a classic pop song.

Peace On Earth:

"Heaven on Earth, we need it now
I'm sick of all of this hanging around"

"Where I grew up there weren't many trees
Where there was we'd tear them down
And use them on our enemies "

When I Look At The World:

"When your thoughts are too expensive
To ever wanna keep"

I don't hate this line^ as much as I just don't understand it.

"When there’s all kinds of chaos
And everyone is walking lame
You don’t even blink now do you
Or even look away"

Sounds like a Weezer lyric.

"Tell me, tell me, what do you see?
Tell me, tell me, what's wrong with me?"

New York:

It's kind of a mess from a technical standpoint, but it paints a vivid picture of the city, and is even creepier after 9/11. I also love the "In New York I lost it all to you and your vices" verse and of course, the best verse on the whole album IMO:

"In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice a-whispering
Come away now"

Grace:

"Grace...
It's a name for a girl
It's also a thought that, changed the world "

"Grace, she's got the walk
Not on a ramp or on chalk
She's got the time to talk
She travels outside of karma, karma
She travels outside... of karma"

Sorry but Lyrically ATYCLB > HTDAAB

Kite:drool:

when you look at the world:drool:

For Bomb, I don't think there nearly as many embarrassing couplets as there are on ATYCLB, but I think the main problem with its lyrics is the choices in topics. ATYCLB has some great ideas, but poor execution in many cases, but Bomb has a lot of bad ideas with decent execution. Neither one is very good lyrically, but both are strong musically, IMO, particularly Bomb :up:

Bomb is good, could've been great. Alternate versions are better in some spots and forgive me but drop the "Sometimes You Can't Make it "...crap

I don't have a problem with any of those ATYCLB lyrics, except maybe Grace which is pretty so-so.

Elevation has silly lyrics, we know that. Walk On has kind of cliche lyrics but ultimately they don't bother me. The song is really moving to me, moreso than anything on HTDAAB.

Grace features some of the best lyrics Bono has even written. It's uncharacteristly deep and rich with subtext and metaphor. And I love how its all wrapped up in a catchy melody and pop lyric. :love:

Back
Top Bottom