How has HTDAAB aged for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
Hawkmoon 269, Desire, Angel of Harlem, Heartland, God Part II, All I Want is You > most of HTDAAB.

I think those definitely hang with the best of it.

Unfortunately, pretty much every song you didn't mention sucks or feels awkward with those. R&H has a lot of good songs, but it isn't a very good album. :shrug:

Lancemc said:
Yes. ATYCLB is much better.

But I still think Miracle Drug is a great song. It's probably my favorite lyric on the entire album, though that's not really saying a whole lot. I think I was a little disappointed because I expected the live version of that song to be mindblowing. There was so much potential for that. But when the live performances finally came, it was just sort of flat. :shrug: Oh well.

very true, although the 3rd leg improved on it a bit I think

but an extended ending would have done the song wonders live (I got that idea from myself, two years ago :wink: ) and as much as I love Bono the 5 minute intro with him babbling about whatever didn't do a lot to lift the song either

U2Man said:

worse than october?

rattle and hum?

:ohmy:

Yes on both questions! The band is fresh and energetic on October! Songs like Rejoice, Gloria, I Threw A Brick, I Fall Down, Tomorrow, even Is That All all rock my socks off to this day! And Rattle & Hum is awesome, I don't care what anyone says about it! So many great studio songs VDL, Desire, Hawkmoon, God Part II, Heartland, AIWIY, Angel of Harlem etc. And I even enjoy Love Rescue Me, great lyrics and nice laid back groove. Compared to those, HTDAAB has City of Blinding Lights which is musically awesome but lyrically weak chorus IMO. Fast Cars is fantastic all round but it is not even on the album! Crumbs is good but a little overproduced. Vertigo is alright but I prefer Native Son by far! Miracle Drug is a bit cheesy. "God I need your help tonight"? Too direct for my taste. Sometimes is a very nice song but once again the lyrics seem too direct. OOTS is great musically but lyrically I'm not a fan. I don't know... I like the album but it is definitely at the bottom for me just below ATYCLB.

I loved Miracle Drug live. :( I thought it was at least 3x better. It didn't have that syrupy sound once it had some life blown into it. I remember it being one of the highlights of the show I went to. Mindblowing. I never liked MD much before that, but that changed my mind momentarily.

LemonMelon said:
I loved Miracle Drug live. :( I thought it was at least 3x better. It didn't have that syrupy sound once it had some life blown into it. I remember it being one of the highlights of the show I went to. Mindblowing. I never liked MD much before that, but that changed my mind momentarily.

I thought it sucked.....:wink: ..but I kind of like the song

except the awful line :

"Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby's head"
:yuck:

I resisted the leak, so I didn't hear it until the morning it was released. The first time I heard any Bomb songs (except Vertigo, obviously) was actually when the band played them on SNL shortly before the album release.

I woke up early and stood in line at Best Buy, and I bought the first copy from that store. I put it in the car and freaked out. It was amazing.

But now? It's one of my least favorite albums. It has aged very poorly for me. Having listened to it so many times, maybe I've just overplayed it. Ask me again in 10 years, I guess. Even though it's been nearly 2.5 years since its release, HTDAAB is still too new for me to really judge it. I think I need to hear the next album before I can decide how I feel about Bomb.

Oddly enough, I hated ATYCLB until I started to get sick of Bomb. Now I like it a little more for some reason. Both are near the bottom of the heap for me, though.

I'm predicting a resurgence for Bomb about 3 years after the new album comes out. You know, lots of "OMG remember Bomb??? IT KICKS ASS" threads and that.

Bomb in 2011 :rockon:

U2Man said:

In fact, my album ranking would be something like this:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. Rattle n Hum
6. Unforgettable Fire
7. War
8. Boy
9. October
10. Passengers (not sure about this one... sometimes it goes as high as 5 or 6)
11. ATYCLB
12. HTDAAB

mads said:
Oddly enough, I hated ATYCLB until I started to get sick of Bomb. Now I like it a little more for some reason. Both are near the bottom of the heap for me, though.

Wow! Ditto here!

LemonMelon said:
I'm predicting a resurgence for Bomb about 3 years after the new album comes out. You know, lots of "OMG remember Bomb??? IT KICKS ASS" threads and that.

Bomb in 2011 :rockon:

I see this happening too....but not from me:wink:

Zootlesque said:

In fact, my album ranking would be something like this:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. Zooropa
5. Rattle n Hum
6. Unforgettable Fire
7. War
8. Boy
9. October
10. Passengers
11. ATYCLB
12. HTDAAB

:tsk:

Everyone on the board said:

1. zooropa
2. achtung baby
3. Pop
4. the joshua tree
5. Unforgettable Fire
6. all that you cant leave behind
7. War
8. Rattle and hum
9. October
10. BOY
11. HTDAAB

I agree people:up:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB
6. Achtung Baby
7. ATYCLB
8. Boy (I can see this one switching with ATYCLB very soon)
9. Rattle & Hum
10. October
11. Unforgettable Fire

:shrug:

1. achtung
2. atyclb
3. jt
4. pop
5. htdaab
6. uf
7. boy
8. zooropa
9. rattle and hum
10. war
11. october

that's the solution :up:

LemonMelon said:
1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB
6. Achtung Baby
7. ATYCLB
8. Boy (I can see this one switching with ATYCLB very soon)
9. Rattle & Hum
10. October
11. Unforgettable Fire

:shrug:

I would have thought HTDAAB would be higher on your list :wink:

and props for Zooropa at number 1:up:

i still like it about the same. good but not great, definitely better than atyclb though.

U2Man said:
1. achtung
2. atyclb
3. jt
4. pop
5. htdaab
6. uf
7. boy
8. zooropa
9. rattle and hum
10. war
11. october

that's the solution :up:

zooropa is too low and HTDAAB is too high

otherwise good effort:wink:

U2Man said:
nah, htdaab doesnt have atyclb's charm.

ATYCLB was the introduction to sub-standard lyrics on a U2 album. HTDAAB provides us with even more garbage such as LAPOE.

AtomicBono said:
Vertigo is really underrated here; I still think it's a fucking great, energetic U2 song, worthy of being played twice a show.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. :up:

i dont care if a song like wild honey has weak lyrics. it's still a charming little piece of beauty.

Back
Top Bottom