How has HTDAAB aged for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very simple: it became my favourite when it came out and still is my favourite album. I rarely get tired of it and I listen to it many times from the beginning 'til the end.

It's an album that came out in the right timing because many songs became personal to me because they deal and match perfectily to my life back in 2004's fall.

Looking back on it now, it's an odd album in a way. I mean it's a good album filled with singles, but I kind of miss the days when songs flowed well and everything sounded like it belonged on that album, together.

david said:
Looking back on it now, it's an odd album in a way. I mean it's a good album filled with singles, but I kind of miss the days when songs flowed well and everything sounded like it belonged on that album, together.

amen! i'm actually hoping for at least 2 instrumentals on the next album(yeah right!).

Aygo said:

It's an album that came out in the right timing because many songs became personal to me because they deal and match perfectily to my life back in 2004's fall.

that's pretty much how I feel about ATYCLB, and it had similar timing to things I went through in 2000/2001. I think those kinds of personal connections are part of the magic of music, if you'll allow me to get kind of cheesy for a moment. You never know when a song is going to really touch you like that, but when you hear in a lyric or maybe in the mood of a song something that so perfectly matches the way you feel, it is an incredible feeling.

That has happened to me many times with u2's music, and I think that's (at least partly) why I have such loyalty to the band.

love2bmama said:

that's pretty much how I feel about ATYCLB, and it had similar timing to things I went through in 2000/2001. I think those kinds of personal connections are part of the magic of music, if you'll allow me to get kind of cheesy for a moment. You never know when a song is going to really touch you like that, but when you hear in a lyric or maybe in the mood of a song something that so perfectly matches the way you feel, it is an incredible feeling.

That has happened to me many times with u2's music, and I think that's (at least partly) why I have such loyalty to the band.
:applaud: That's it, mate! ;)

Both ATYCLB and HTDAAB are in this weird kind of category for me, I really can't classify them. I know I like both albums (ATYCLB probably slightly more) but there is also something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

When it comes to almost all new U2 albums, they usually have to grow on me and that was the case with HTDAAB. Several songs like Miracle Drug, OOTS and Yahweh had to be experienced live to get a true understanding and appreciation.

After almost 3 years since it's release I think it fits fairly well with the rest of it's fellow U2 albums but I would be lying if I said it was their best...

LemonMelon said:

I told you something happened with the opinion of most everyone here! :huh: It's crazy...I still think it's all great. :shrug:

well the album has recently leaked..we were all excited as hell :wink:

Aygo said:
Very simple: it became my favourite when it came out and still is my favourite album. I rarely get tired of it and I listen to it many times from the beginning 'til the end.

:yes: exactly or kinda likely to my story, actually it was on that fall when my father died, I felt that album was planned from the universe to me! all the words, verses and music were mind-blowing and still are. specially SYCMOYO u know. even though I bought it for the popularity of Vertigo, some months later I was addicted to HTDAAB and eventually (with the Chicago DVD release at that later time) a very addcited U2 fan...and very proud of that :wink:
-FCA

After not playing it for about six months I put it back in a week ago. I found myself skipping past three or four songs (One Step Closer, A Man and a Woman, Yahweh) and I realized what was frustrating about it. The album is too short. We didn't get Fast Cars, which would have at least given us one more solid song, and we all know what happened to Mercy.

We live in a time when we burn our own CDs and generally fit 16-20 songs on them. We make playlists that can go on forever. Many artists routinely do 12-14 songs on a CD, occasionally with bonus tracks. U2 skimped on us this time. I hope they realize all this for the next album, and give us at least one or two more tracks.

I've listened to UF, JT, AB, and Pop for all these years and still I go back to AB. Pop before I got to Bomb. I still have my favorite songs - Crumbs, never waivered from that and OOTS. I go thru the live stuff I have from Bomb, I almost never listen to the cd.
I like it but if I grab something on the way out the door, it isn't Bomb.
I'm waiting for what's next.

For me it has aged well, first i loved it then i didnt love it so much but lately it has grown on me again.

Im beginning to like a man and a woman for example. While it's not up there with ATYCLB for example it's still very good.

It has aged well. (though not experimental enough)

Naturally dropped a little from the initial hype, but still after their best albums (JT, AB, UF, War) it's their best good but not quite great album, tied with Zooropa. (Zooropa getting ahead due to it's cohesive flow) I consider it an improvement over ATYCLB, and a very consistent effort.

The comment I have is definitely use less producers next time (one guy producing, one guy mixing), and maybe let the inspiration take some of the craft away. And I think dropping the outtakes was one of the best things that could happen to the album.

Last edited:
fca780 said:

:yes: exactly or kinda likely to my story, actually it was on that fall when my father died, I felt that album was planned from the universe to me! all the words, verses and music were mind-blowing and still are. specially SYCMOYO u know. even though I bought it for the popularity of Vertigo, some months later I was addicted to HTDAAB and eventually (with the Chicago DVD release at that later time) a very addcited U2 fan...and very proud of that :wink:
-FCA
Well, in my case, I didn't have my father dying (hope God keep him with me for many years), but my life changed like a 180º tour abruptly. The several reasons why it happened, the feeling after the events and the desire of getting outside an ending hole made the songs personal and with much meaning in all senses. That's why it became special to me.

It still holds up pretty well for me. I listened to it a few weeks ago all the way through while baking, and enjoyed it as a whole.

I still love the songs I love off it, still don't care for the one or two I don't care for, and still think the production on Yahweh is shitty.

I don't know a lot about production, but can tell when something sounds bad to me. Yahweh is the only song on the album where it's noticable and bothers me.

It's not their best album, it's not the best Bono's done with lyrics, but I still enjoy it.

Never listened to it much anyway, rarely listen to U2 these days. I like it better than I did to begin with but I'm still not fussed on it.

I should listen to it again...I haven't given it an honest listen in a long while now.

I remember when I first listened to it, the day it leaked, alone in my bedroom, earbuds in, eyes closed... it was magical. I thought it was fantastic. The Miracle Drug solo, the climax of Sometimes, City, the ending of Crumbs, OOTS, the beauty of an uplifting closer like Yahweh...I thought to myself, "U2 have done it again."

I think it was my third or fourth favourite U2 album for awhile. definitely listened to it nonstop for a long time.

Now I'd say it's somewhere more toward the middle... I still think it's a good album, but now I can hear the flaws. For one, the production really bothers me. Crumbs is kind of annoying, Miracle Drug isn't quite as moving as I originally thought (nice thread link xavi :lol: ). City and Sometimes are much more powerful live. Yahweh is not a song I listen to a lot. As a whole the album feels a little disjointed.

But I don't hate this album. Vertigo is really underrated here; I still think it's a fucking great, energetic U2 song, worthy of being played twice a show. Love and Peace or Else, while lyrically vague, is musically one of the best on the album. ABOY is fun. A Man and a Woman is also underrated, though I maybe don't like it as much as I used to. Original of the Species is one of the best songs U2 has ever done.

Overall it's a really weird album. Maybe I've let the negative reaction of people here get to me, I don't know. I still like it a lot (though I haven't listened to it in forever) but something about it isn't quite right. I can't put my finger on it...the magic isn't missing, so I don't know what is. I don't think I'll be able to have a completely fair opinion of it til after the next album...because right now it's still U2's latest album.

Hmm, I don't think it has particularly aged badly or well yet since it's only been what a little over 2 years since it came out? Loved it initially but then the flaws started coming out of the woodwork on repeated listens. It is probably my least favorite U2 album now.

Yes. ATYCLB is much better.

But I still think Miracle Drug is a great song. It's probably my favorite lyric on the entire album, though that's not really saying a whole lot. I think I was a little disappointed because I expected the live version of that song to be mindblowing. There was so much potential for that. But when the live performances finally came, it was just sort of flat. :shrug: Oh well.

most of rattle and hum is utter garbage.

all i want is you has to save the entire double all by itself. the weirdest thing is that it succeeds. its totally insane. :drool:

Hawkmoon 269, Desire, Angel of Harlem, Heartland, God Part II, All I Want is You > most of HTDAAB.

Back
Top Bottom