How does U2 not get called a Christian band when other bands do? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:40 AM
How does U2 not get called a Christian band when other bands do?

I listen to Creed, and the lyricist / singer Scott Stapp was raised in a very religious home, and spent a lot of time around the Bible -- so the lyrics he writes are often faith based... not all, but some.

Now, most people called Creed a christian band, like it was a bad thing!

I remember listen to U2 listening to songs like "Wake Up Deadman" "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Staring At The Sun" -- and those are just a few of the songs to begin with -- Bono writes alot about God, and Jesus -- in the newest song "Yahweh" too -- but U2 isn't regarded as a Christian band -- why is this?

I've often tried to tell people Creed wasn't a Christian band, they just had beliefs -- a lot like U2, Bono/Edge/Larry believe, but Adam doesn't -- and the music itself isn't Christian all together...

So what gives?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:40 PM
because they cuss

Old 02-27-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Refugee

they are regarded a christian band
Old 02-27-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 12:40 AM
I think for the most part, U2 hasn't put out much material that is obvious "God song" material since October. There were God songs here and there... "40," Wake Up Dead Man, IGWSHA, Yahweh....there are many more songs about God, but U2 has always been able to cover them up in a way with metaphors...its not so obvious, unlike a lot of creed songs.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In my mind U2 has went through various stages of relgious belief....for the first few albums up until Joshua Tree they wrote openly God follower type lyrics in the 90s they sort of questioned that and looked for something more...more recently they seem to again be at peace writing follower type songs...but they arent a christian band because I really dont think they fully believe in religon as an organized state.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Refugee

I think that U2 isn't called a Christian band because they're not a Christian band. Creed is a band that devotes their music to Christianity. U2, on the other hand, weave their faith into some of their songs. There's a difference.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 PM
A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever. I think its mostly because Bono has been outspoken about the church's apathy on the aids crisis. Bono also said U2 are not a Christian band, but Christians playing in a band (or something like that)
Old 02-27-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 01:40 AM
To this day U2 is still routinely classified as a Christian band by people who are highly unfamiliar with their music... this includes many critics.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
War Child

Christian bands write every song with a Christian message.

I think the label of being a "Christian band" would limit the material U2 could write.

They could never write songs like Wake Up Dead Man where they question God.

They could never write songs like I Still Haven't Found.

They could never write songs like Mysterious Ways for people would find it too sexual.

Their actions would always be put into question and they would ultimately be limited.

By the way Creed always stated that they weren't a Christian band.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Neenie
A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever.

Pathetic
Old 02-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yimou

Pathetic
Yes it is....
Old 02-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:40 PM
U2 aren't called a Christian band because they transcend beliefs. Being a Christian band would be too exclusivist for U2, I suspect. In any case, as I recall Bono saying, their music is their fish in the sand, there for those who want to see it and not for those who don't.

And I've read some hysterical hyper-fundamentalist opinions about U2. "No patriotic American Christian should listen to U2 because they swore in a song and wrote Bullet The Blue Sky! Bono is evil because he tries to help cure diseases that are God's punishment on Africans for having sex and believing in tribal gods!"

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 10:40 PM
From Psalm 116....Bono dropped to his knees and recited this during the into to Streets during every concert of the last tour....I think that he is pretty straight forward about his Christian faith.

What can I give back to God for the blessings He’s poured out on me?
I’ll lift high the cup of salvation—a toast to God!
I’ll pray in the name of God;
I’ll complete what I promised God I’d do,
and I’ll do it together with his people.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:30 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Adam Clayton is an Athest though.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:37 PM   #15
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh
Adam Clayton is an Athest though.
Has he said that recently? I've seen all kinds of statements ranging from "he is non-religious" to "he keeps his religion private" and "he has come to share in the faith of the rest of the band". We know about the rift that developed back in the October days, but that was nearly 25 years ago. A lot of religious changes can happen in 25 years.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Westport
From Psalm 116....Bono dropped to his knees and recited this during the into to Streets during every concert of the last tour....I think that he is pretty straight forward about his Christian faith.

ugh! I'm sorry, but that just makes me cringe.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bono believes in God not christianity in the organised way as such, U2 aren't a christian band because they are U2
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who write about nearly everything under the sun, they also do not suck complete and utter balls................

Plus Bono is a rockstar.....................
Old 02-28-2005, 01:43 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Neenie
A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever. I think its mostly because Bono has been outspoken about the church's apathy on the aids crisis.
*Sigh*...it so bugs me when people act like that.

Anywho...I don't really consider U2 a "Christian" band simply because while they personally are Christians and all that, a lot of the religious references they use in their songs are ones that can apply to people of any faith, or even non-religious people. And they're willing to look at both the good and the bad aspects of religion, too. Whereas Christian bands usually just focus on their specific religion, and usually just focus on the good parts (at least, that's how it's been from the ones that I've heard songs from, anyway).

And personally, if a band wants to be a Christian one, that's entirely up to them. I don't really care.

Angela
Old 02-28-2005, 02:42 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

ugh! I'm sorry, but that just makes me cringe.
Just wondering why it makes you cringe?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:51 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Westport

How is that straight forward about Christian faith? Psalms are Old Testament, last time I checked Old Testament isn't strictly a Christian book.