How does The Joshua Tree vinyl compare to the CD??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U24EVAR

Babyface
And if possible, could you tell me how it sounds compared to the Gold Disc edition?

I would buy the the gold disc but it´s rare and I can only find used copies with ridiculous prices.

Re: Re: How does The Joshua Tree vinyl compare to the CD??

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The vinyl is much larger.:wink:

:laugh: Good one. I would really like to know cause in Portugal there is no JT Gold Disc. My uncle is going to UK so he may find one there.

Re: Re: How does The Joshua Tree vinyl compare to the CD??

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The vinyl is much larger.:wink:

hehehe - and it's black and doesn't fit into my car stereo ;)

But to be serious, vinyl has ALWAYS sounded much better to my ears as the dynamics are way better, but the static and the clicks destroy a track like RTSS, foor example.

In saying all this, I've never heard the Gold CD version so what do I know :slant:

i'm no audiophile, but I know what sounds good. Streets, Bullet and Exit all sound better on vinyl. There's no debating.. I was playing the record to my roommate, who owns the cd, and all he kept remarking on was how much better it sounded, as though Edge were standing right there in the room with us. I'm not sure of the technical reasoning behind the theory that vinyl sounds purer, but I dont need to know. Playing it is evidence enough. :drool:

Cassette, baby....:drool: I've still got my mother's 1987 original. It makes me cry just thinking about its low fidelity brilliance. :sad:

VINYL!!!!! You get the gatefold sleeve with the huuuuge picture of U2, and the Joshua Tree. :love: And if you like, you can even open it up and put it on top of your stereo, and admire it from afar :happy:

blueeyedgirl said:
And if you like, you can even open it up and put it on top of your stereo, and admire it from afar :happy:

Finally, someone else who does this! I even do it with CD's though the effect is somewhat pathetic...

But on the subject of Vinyl vs CD, I can't speak for U2 other than a couple of singles on vinyl, but I have a lot of house music on 12" and it sounds excellent. Most people describe it as a "warm" sound...kind of like "good static" under the music.

I haven't bought any vinyl's (even though I've seen quite a few somewhat rare ones) of fear of them being totally inferior in quality and more fragile. Maybe I should reconsider?

I wouldn't bother getting vinyl unless you have a high quality system at home. A good amp, deck and speakers/headphones are all prerequisite. You also have to keep the vinyl clean, dust free etc, so it can be a hassle. Not to mention the fact it is surprisngly heavy so storage can become a problem.

If you happen to have a high quality system and just want a few vinyls though...it is great.

-----------------------------------------
Love: The Secret is Letting Go

I've got the gold Joshua Tree disc and it is way better than the standard CD. It is expensive on ebay but you can always sell it on again if remastered discs were released in the future. It will only gain in value.

or you could just copy it and then sell it.:huh:

I like getting the U2 vinyl LPs to have the band sign. Most recently I had The Edge sign my Achtung Baby LP, the cover of which is way too busy on a small cd, to put 4 signatures (5-6 if you add Lanois and Eno)on it and still look good.

As for the reason why the vinyl will sound better, provided you can overlook the surface noise and clicks, is that the frequency range is wider than what is possible on cd. It picks up more of the high and the low frequencies than does the digital reproduction of the music.

The question no one has ever answered for me is that if an album was recorded digitally, shouldn't it sound exactly the same on cd than it would on vinyl, as the very high and very low frequncies would not have been caught in the recording process?

Roland of Gilead said:
Gold is the reason for wars we wage. :wink:
=) =)

does the Gold version contain any extra songs, or does it just simply have the same songs but sounds better than the standard JT CD?

tuwie said:
=) =)

does the Gold version contain any extra songs, or does it just simply have the same songs but sounds better than the standard JT CD?

Same songs. Corrected ending of One Tree Hill so it doesn't split into Exit. Speaking of Exit, it is a beauty on the Gold disc. Volume levels were corrected on this track. The intro is to this song is crystal clear.

Highly recommended purchase considering this is one of the greatest rock albums of all time,

thanks =)

awwww i am sad. i just checked amazon, and it doesn't seem to be in print anymore? is that why it's so expensive? =/
i don't have $180.

Ok, I am going to ask this knowing that I could be flamed. Have you ever found the Gold CD for download on emule, for example? I know it´s not the same thing as owning the CD, but 180$ is too much.

Ahhhh, what am I doing? Shame on me!! Guess I´ll buy the LP.

Back
Top Bottom