How does that happen ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boystupidboy

Refugee
Just watched the new dvd,both the concert and the extras,and i was just wandering....

a) Bono's singing is good but he aint got the best voice
b) Edge isnt the best guitarist and he does'nt do the usual epic guitar solo's that all the best guitarists do
c) Adam's bass playing is good but pretty standard
d)Larry's drumming is steady but not flashy

so ,in a nutshell ,the 4 members of u2 aint individually the best in the world at their own craft so how come they are the best band in the world ?? Why are their live shows so uplifting ??? why is their music so fuckin special ???
u2 will always be,in my opinion,the greatest band of all time......thanks lads:drool:

^ The DVD is poor ?? :scratch:

Careful, careful what you say ... or do I have to hit you over the head with my rolling pin ?? :madwife:

I thought that DVD of the Vertigo concert was AWESOME ... :bow:
The sound quality alone is one reason why it's GREAT, as the fans are overly excited. :applaud:
It's alot better IMO than (take for instance) the Boston Elevation concert. :tsk:

The point of the original post is that even though U2 are not the most brilliant musicians ever, they can still create music that is better than everyone else. Why is the whole greater than the sum of the parts?

The answer is because it does not take the best musical skills to write the best songs. It takes heart and soul and a lot of hard work. I know some amazing "musicians" who don't even write music. They can play and read nusic very well, but writing is a different beast entirely. It is a skill unto itself. One can write a great song with little or no musical experience. When U2 started out they could barely play there instruments, but they wrote great songs. They can now play thier instruments much better, and fortunately they are still writing great songs.

I agree with Hoodlem, but you also have to give the band credit where it's due. U2 may not show off their musical ability the way many other bands do, but they definately have it. And I think they have more musicianship than most bands out there.
Please is perfect example.

Hoodlem said:
The point of the original post is that even though U2 are not the most brilliant musicians ever, they can still create music that is better than everyone else. Why is the whole greater than the sum of the parts?

The answer is because it does not take the best musical skills to write the best songs. It takes heart and soul and a lot of hard work. I know some amazing "musicians" who don't even write music. They can play and read nusic very well, but writing is a different beast entirely. It is a skill unto itself. One can write a great song with little or no musical experience. When U2 started out they could barely play there instruments, but they wrote great songs. They can now play thier instruments much better, and fortunately they are still writing great songs.
perfectly put my friend:up:

because bands that are techinically proficient aren't always the best bands in the world. they come off as more sterile and overproduced and wicked solos are cheesy and self masturbatory.

While I agree that the whole may be greater than the sum of its parts in U2's case, I believe that Edge is more than a competent guitar player and technition.

It's also hard to judge a rock singer in the same way one would judge a rock instrumentalist. Very few rock singers are classically great singers (Freddy Mercury and....?) though I think Bono has a beautiful voice.

Lemonfix said:
While I agree that the whole may be greater than the sum of its parts in U2's case, I believe that Edge is more than a competent guitar player and technition.

It's also hard to judge a rock singer in the same way one would judge a rock instrumentalist. Very few rock singers are classically great singers (Freddy Mercury and....?) though I think Bono has a beautiful voice.

:yes:
I also think that Bono has one of the most recognizable and unique voices in music today. Even a person who isn't a huge U2 fan can recognize U2 by Bono's voice when a song is on the radio.
And I can't really think of too many guitarists today that can compare to the way Edge plays. He's created an amazing style that is hard to emulate.

LightMyWay60 said:

:yes:
I also think that Bono has one of the most recognizable and unique voices in music today. Even a person who isn't a huge U2 fan can recognize U2 by Bono's voice when a song is on the radio.
And I can't really think of too many guitarists today that can compare to the way Edge plays. He's created an amazing style that is hard to emulate.

Even if you 're right about Bono, most people who don't know about U2 say that Edge is not any good guitarist at all because he plays very simple melodies...
That is not correct 'cause Edge imo has created a new style in guitar playing...

Back
Top Bottom