how does Edge move around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Just curious, how is Edge able to walk around the whole ellipse with his guitar plugged in? Is there some sort of system under the stage?

He only uses wireless on certain songs as he is not completely satisfied with the tone. So he is tethered at times.

he always uses wireless. he had cables on joshua tree tour,or maybe the unforgettable fire tour last time.

but on zoo tv,popmart, elevation and vertigo he was wireless. all of them were, bono,adam and edge

There are specific songs where he never walks far away one. Sometimes it's because he needs to use his effects board, but I think the second replier was right that he hooks up on some of them for tone reasons.

He really only walks around a lot on songs like Until the End of the World, Zoo Station, and The Electric Co. For many songs, he stays at home.

Edge actually has metal pins in the bottom of each shoe, which fit into a pre-made groove on the surface of the stage (it's well hidden).

All he has to do is have one shoe in the groove when moving around the stage, and the electrical sound current from his guitar output will automatically make it back to the mixing area.

If Edge has a solo going on too long, Dallas (his guitar tech) can also use a joystick device to jolt Edge, although to this day Edge hasn't played a solo of more than 10 seconds.

Canadiens1160 said:
Edge actually has metal pins in the bottom of each shoe, which fit into a pre-made groove on the surface of the stage (it's well hidden).

All he has to do is have one shoe in the groove when moving around the stage, and the electrical sound current from his guitar output will automatically make it back to the mixing area.

If Edge has a solo going on too long, Dallas (his guitar tech) can also use a joystick device to jolt Edge, although to this day Edge hasn't played a solo of more than 10 seconds.

2/10

:wink:

Yeah, I've lost the will to post content of any kind on Interference :sad:

i think Edge even had wireless on the Joshua Tree tour (Streets from Rattle and Hum -- i didn't see anybody following him with a cable). but he didn't use wireless for every song on the Vertigo tour (Streets, again, on the Chicago DVD, you can see that he's wired)

mandrake said:
Yeah Elevation on both Vertigo and Elevation he clearly has a cable. That is with the Gibson SG.

Indeed - my experience with wireless rigs is that sometimes they'll really suck the 'crunch' out of the tone, and so for songs that are super distorted, like Elevation, he probably needs to keep it plugged in to get *that* guitar noise.

some songs he goes wireless, others not
Beautiful Day i think he uses a cable

the only wireless guitars Edge uses are his les pauls...
Les paul goldtop for UTEOTW = wireless
the zoostation one = wireless

for the rest he uses cables, since it sounds better.... and for most songs he needs the effect board too, even tho dallas can use it for him when he's on the ellipse...

I really don't care what guitar Edge uses or whether it is wireless or not, whether Dallas helps out or not, what it comes down to for me is that Edge ROCKS, he is the greatest guitar player EVER in my book!!

Galeongirl said:
the only wireless guitars Edge uses are his les pauls...
Les paul goldtop for UTEOTW = wireless
the zoostation one = wireless

for the rest he uses cables, since it sounds better.... and for most songs he needs the effect board too, even tho dallas can use it for him when he's on the ellipse...

Not true..........he uses his Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, his acoustics and the Bass on 40 wirelesly

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

:giggle: if only they had special pin shoes for Bono to jolt him when he goes on for too long. The poor guy would probably have third degree burns:crazy:

I love that idea pf the slot racer Edge!

I can't remember where I read an interview with Edge about this very subject. Maybe some wanky guitar magazine.

Anyway, Edge relies on a lot of interaction with his guitar rig as far as controlled feedback and sustain. Even very subtle things like chords ringing out right are destroyed when you stray too far away from ground zero. He said he just prefers the direct link to Edge-world.

But that tone at the end of UTEOTW is killer even wireless - I imagine Edge is super-sensitive about the loss of tone with wireless.

Pero said:
he always uses wireless. he had cables on joshua tree tour,or maybe the unforgettable fire tour last time.

but on zoo tv,popmart, elevation and vertigo he was wireless. all of them were, bono,adam and edge

no pero, he was not always wireless for zooTV

Canadiens1160 said:
Yeah, I've lost the will to post content of any kind on Interference :sad:

:sigh: Make it come back. Please.

Maybe we need another soul TM mountain dew ungh saga...

I can't see anything, so I'm in a Interference rut as well.

gman said:

Not true..........he uses his Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, his acoustics and the Bass on 40 wirelesly
the telecaster you're right :) I forgot that
the rest, not all the time.... the accoustics yes, but I've seen pics of him him play 40 with a cable, and some strat songs also with a cable.... I mean :crack: he has a gazillion stratocasters, they're not all wireless...

He's got 45 guitars or something. Admit it. None of us have any idea what the hell's going on. :wink:

Check out Electric Co from Paris ( JT-box ).
During the solo Edge walks to the far-side of the stage and he`s wireless.
( I think :wink: )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

i wanted to say that he started beeing wireless on zoo tv or maybe on joshua. don't know exactly, but he doesn't need to be wireless when he doesn't move or needs to make effects.

still, about those effects, he doesn't have with him a wah pedal on mysterious ways all the time, so it must be some kind of a preset.(don't know)

Back
Top Bottom