How do you think Bono will react to the Pope's death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RicoT.O

The Fly
I think after 9/11, the Elevation tour was a bit more special. U2 really played special and Bono was more powerful in his songs.

Correct me if I am wrong, the rosary Bono wears is the same one the Pope gave him right?

How do you think Bono will take the Death, if it happens over the next few hours?

Last edited:
I heard that one wore out and he has a new one, but still keeps the one he got from the Pope. I do think that Bono will mention the Pope and possibly dedicate a song to him.

Here here! It would be perfect if they played Yahweh for the Pope.

I was at their show in Atlanta in 2001 the day after George Harrison died when they played "My Sweet Lord" and it was very cool.

I'm sure Bono will make whatever statement he deems appropriate, and I'm sure it will be in the usual Bono style-eloquent and dignified.

I still remember how cool I thought it was when Bono met The Pope, and the whole description of the meeting

xana dew said:
He should play "Crumbs from your Table"

Why not? All the Catholic church does is take money it seems........they should donate more to causes.

What has the Pope done for the world? He just says things.......I can say "I oppose the Iraq war", but at least I'll go out in the streets and protest.

I think its a terrible idea to dedicate yahweh to the pope. Think about it, dedicating a song named after God's name to the head of a religion that banished God's name from the bible? Sounds rather stupid.

BigMacPhisto said:

What has the Pope done for the world? He just says things.......I can say "I oppose the Iraq war", but at least I'll go out in the streets and protest.

All you Catholics and fair people out there, don't even bother to reply to this incredible stupidity.

What does any of this have to do w/ Bono's reaction to the Pope's death?

Wasn't that the question, not what's your opinion of the Pope or the Catholic church?

Bono is very fond of the Pope, and I expect he will be very sad about his death. I expect he'll say something in a show, and dedicate a song to him. They may even dedicate an entire show to him. The rosary he currently wears is a replacement of the one that the Pope gave him. Speaking from experience as a practicing Catholic, rosaries break fairly frequently.

MLK might be a good choice of song at a show if they want to honour him in that way.

And how does one "wear out" a rosary?

anitram said:
MLK might be a good choice of song at a show if they want to honour him in that way.

And how does one "wear out" a rosary?

string probably snaps or something...

djerdap said:
All you Catholics and fair people out there, don't even bother to reply to this incredible stupidity.

I'm sorry, but I personally don't think the Pope does anything for the world. What's the difference between him and some preacher in Missouri? None. They both spread the word of a God that they believe in. It's just that the Pope is the figurehead of a very powerful and popular church, so he gets extra publicity.

To me, the pope hurts the world by telling his followers that they shouldn't use birth control, thus resulting in a lot of poor families with far too many kids. And most of his church's hatred of gays is just plain awful. I'm sorry, but I don't agree with the Pope or the Catholic church on a lot of things. That's just my opinion and I feel that I have the right to express it.

Last edited:
The Church does not oppose gays. The Church loves everyone. The Church says homosexual ACTS are wrong, because it's sex outside of marriage, etc. Learn some Theology, my ignorant friends. And please, the pope just says, "I oppose war?" How about the fact that JPII was quite influential in ending the Cold War.

"The less you know the more you believe"

Going out and saying homosexual acts are WRONG shows intolerance.........not supporting gay marriage shows intolerance....

And honestly, the Cold War only ended because the Soviets were trying to keep up with the U.S. in the arms race, not because of what one guy in Italy did.

ramblin rose said:
Maybe they'll play One Step Closer.

It was rehearsed in Vancouver, so I wouldn't be surprised if it made an appearance.....probably as a snippet though, rather than the full song.

Bono will probably be applying for the Papal position soon. So he will have to reserve comment.

Layton said:
Bono will probably be applying for the Papal position soon. So he will have to reserve comment.

Heh, could you imagine the turmoil it would cause in Ireland? I think he's wise enough to sit back, wait for the next pope, and then get him to support the ONE campaign. :wink:

Lemonator said:
I think its a terrible idea to dedicate yahweh to the pope. Think about it, dedicating a song named after God's name to the head of a religion that banished God's name from the bible? Sounds rather stupid.

What is wrong with you?

I think the real question is just how many songs or what song will be dedicated to the pope?

Pride - Not too sure about this......the Pope did overcome some aversity...

One - Could really be a tribute to anyone or anything.

Sometimes - Could possibly use the song to reflect on the Pope.....same for "One Step Closer"....

40 or Yahweh: Either of these intensely spiritual anthems could give him a fond farewell.

I guess we'll know in a few hours.

verte76 said:
Bono is very fond of the Pope, and I expect he will be very sad about his death. I expect he'll say something in a show, and dedicate a song to him. They may even dedicate an entire show to him. The rosary he currently wears is a replacement of the one that the Pope gave him. Speaking from experience as a practicing Catholic, rosaries break fairly frequently.

Well said verte, as one fellow Catholic to another.

Back
Top Bottom