How did you discover U2? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 AM
2 words. Achtung Baby!

Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #42
Refugee

Local Time: 09:16 AM
I was watching some award show when I was about...9 or 10. They were singing "Beautiful Day", and I thought that Bono looked like Liam Neeson. (Liam was my favorite actor at the time, and he still is one of them. I was so obsessed with Star Wars when I was a kid and I saw Liam in Episode 1.) Anyways, so I then listened to their music and really liked it. Yeeeppp...

XD I still think Bono slightly resembles Liam Neeson.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #43
The Fly

Let's see, there are 3 stages. I remember hearing Pride and Still on the radio when I was a kid and I liked them but I couldn't really appreciate them as a kid (funny thing is Pride is my fave song now). Then when I was 13 Pop-up Video on VH1 showed whole episodes about U2 (anyone remember those?) and I fell in love seeing and hearing videios for Still and Stay and Lemon. Finally when I was in 11th grade ATYCLB came out and I fell hook, line and sinker. I prided myself on listening to beautiful and relevant music while my schoolmates were gushing over N'Sync! ATYCLB is still my fave album because it's so hopeful and uplifting yet real. Sigh.. I love ATYCLB
Old 11-22-2005, 10:12 PM   #44
The Fly

Yeah he does resemble Liam Neeson...another fine-lookin Irishman! I think he also looks like (don't worry I'm not gonna say Robin Williams) the guy who played Dracula in Van Helsing. seriously Google "Van Helsing Dracula" and you'll see what I mean! I think the actor mimicked Bono like Johnny Depp mimicked Keith Richards in Pirates of the Caribbean!
Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #45
The Fly

YellowKite your story is very inspiring
Old 11-22-2005, 10:35 PM   #46
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:16 AM
I saw the Discotheque video premiere on MTV. I couldn't believe these were the same guys who did that one 80's song I always heard on the radio (ISFWILF). I had to investigate.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:16 AM
My cousins from the "big city" (Rockford, IL) came to visit often, and they'd bring tapes of whatever music they were into. It was always stuff like REM, The Cure, Depeche Mode, and, of course, U2.

The older cousin gave me a tape of The Unforgettable Fire one year for Christmas, and I really liked it. Later, I picked up The JOshua Tree, and I liked that as well. Then, when Rattle & Hum came out, that was it for me. I fell into massive diehard-dom.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #48
Refugee

They were living under my bed. I discovered them when my sheets caught fire one winter morning. It seemed that Adam left a lit ciggarette out. After the resulting court case was settled we all became great friends.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 PM   #49
Blue Crack Distributor

I hate it when I find rock bands living under my bed. They never clean up after themselves.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #50
Refugee

I'm looking under my bed when I get home! Usually I only find dust.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:16 PM
My first encounter with U2 was when I was watching the live broadcast of the Live Aid concert back in 1985 when this Irish band I'd never heard of started to perform....

Edit:- Hey Beverly, we have the same avatar! Bono looks really hot in this pic doesn't he? That's why I chose it!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #52
Acrobat

1987 when I had a mix tape made up of current songs from the radio which included WTSHNN and WOWY. I found myself listening to those two songs in particular over and over again. I was eager to know more about this band and shortly afterwards Much Music aired a U2 special featuring a long interview with Adam and Larry that just sealed the deal for me.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:16 AM
heard The Joshua Tree in 2001. spring/summer, one of the best times of my life. everything seemed to be going right and it was sunny and this record came and basically turned my life inside out. good stuff.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 AM
All it took was to hear "New Year's Day" playing on the radio and I
immediately went out and bought 'War' ... end of story !!
Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:16 PM
Heard them on the radio in 1983, and saw them on TV for Live Aid.
Also New Year's Day did it for me too!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #56
The Fly

Local Time: 02:16 PM
I heard Even Better Than The Real Thing and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses in the mid 90's as a kid and loved both songs, then a few years later heard Staring At The Sun, after that I decided I had to hear more from this band and Ive been a fan ever since.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #57
Babyface

I'm an older rock fan who was 33 years old in 1991 when I heard the song "Mysterious Ways" and decided it was one of the coolest rock and roll songs I had ever heard. And I've heard plenty of great songs from all of the great rock bands from the 60's and 70's, believe me. So I bought "Achtung Baby" on cassette by this group called U2. I really liked it, but at the time I was more focused on groups like Guns N' Roses, Metallica and Jane's Addiction, my three favorites (thanks in part to my metalhead nephew), so I'm afraid I didn't give U2 the attention I should have. I did buy "The Joshua Tree" CD a little while after that though, after seeing the video for "Where The Streets Have No Name" and deciding it was VERY cool. So I was at least beginning to realize how good they were, even though I didn't know a whole lot about them or their history. I was still stuck on my old favorites.

About a year ago I was in the mood to buy a concert DVD, and I noticed that U2 was still alive and kicking after all of these years, unlike most of my old favorites who either burned out or faded away. So I bought the Slane Castle DVD and...WOW! To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I was blown away by how good they were. I'm of Irish descent, so everything just clicked perfectly...

Today I own all of U2's albums and most of their DVD's and listen to them every day. I'm still filling in my collection with videos like "Zoo TV Live From Sydney" which I recently ordered. I should have that one this weekend.

So as someone who is just a couple of years older than Bono, all I have to say is...The Beatles who? Led Zeppelin who? The Rolling Stones who? Aerosmith who? All great bands that I've been into in the past, but I never listen to them anymore. It's U2 all the way these days.

I really hope they stay together for quite awhile longer. I really believe they are the best, and the more great music they make, the more I'll know it's true...